• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

'Black holes' may discourage new players.

Earwen1

Honestly, I have doubted to bring up the following, as it seems so obvious, while it feels a bit like a complaint at the same time.
And complaining is not my intention.

That being said..

My newly created city (8 days or so?) has been placed on the world map between a impressive collection of black holes.
Places without an active city, that won't respond to any trade or neighbourly help.

black holes on the map - 210530.png

And yes, as it is my fourth city to create, nothing anyone can do about it, it all depends on logaritm. Arteficial Intelligence, if you prefer.
And I can handle that, knowing a bit how this game functions... a little bit!

What I worry about is the new players: people that have newly installed Elvenar to play, while they have no idea.
If these people must start in a no-man's land, I would think it is rather obvious that they will soon delete the game and move to something else.
These players will never come back to try Elvenar again.

That is not logaritm, that is logic. Human Intelligence.

I think if @InnoGames wants to attract new players AND keep them, logaritm should follow logic.
- Arteficial Intelligence should follow Human Intelligence. -
Not the other way around.

Karvest

This is not "between black holes", this is "on the edge of currently populated area on world map". If there is no free spot inside populated area - there is no way to put a new city there. Just keep "allow automatic movement to better position" enabled, and you would be moved to a better place when it would be possible. Or enough of new players arrive and populate those black holes.

marcovaldo19

on the other hand, when a new city starts, it would be simple for the system to send a message telling that that city is higly candidate to be moved in a better position as soon as a new better spot is available.

Earwen1

This is not "between black holes", this is "on the edge of currently populated area on world map". If there is no free spot inside populated area - there is no way to put a new city there. Just keep "allow automatic movement to better position" enabled, and you would be moved to a better place when it would be possible. Or enough of new players arrive and populate those black holes.
This is not about my own situation, and I know what to do about it. Thanks!
The map is just an example... an illustration.

I bring this up, because it can be really disencouraging for new players, to find themselves among a 'holes', no matter if it is in the middle or the edge of the world map, that does not matter at all.

Empty spots like this can be very unfriendly and ice-cold 'welcome'. I just could imagine, that if InnoGames wants to keep it's new players (and potential customers) a more welcoming start on the map would be a good idea.

And IF they turn out to be 'one-day-flies' after all, they could still be moved to the edges among other holes.

Karvest

As for me - gold mines are better than dead cities, especially with MH stuck at upgrading.

Smiler

@Earwen1

Problems like this are more likely when your city has been removed from the map for inactivity and then replaced when it is active again. It will not be normal for new players unless they go inactive and return.

Heymrdiedier

i would love a map of black holes.... it makes giving help to your neighbours so much faster... I deliberatly turned off player movement on a few new citys i made, and i honestly love the gold mine maps.

SoggyShorts

My solution is in the first post, thanks.
Where? Quote it please as I'm not seeing any viable solution.
This here: "

logaritm should follow logic.
- Arteficial Intelligence should follow Human Intelligence. -
Not the other way around."

that's not an actual idea, that's just spouting nonsense buzzwords.
Now please stop trolling sir, your behaviour in these forums is very annoying.
Sorry precious, if you don't like the truth and can't handle a little criticism when your post is dumb then just hit ignore, you don't own these forums.

Earwen1

I explain it for you then:

City's are placed and moved automatically.
By computer logaritm.
That is artificial intelligence.

This seems not to work perfectly.
I propose to Inno that they should change the way this functions.

That a person is going to look after this placing and moving of city's.
That is human intelligence.

SoggyShorts

I propose to Inno that they should change the way this functions.
That a person is going to look after this placing and moving of city's.
Yeah, that's a terrible idea.
Dozens of servers with who knows how many new cities created every hour and each one of them should be manually placed?
Ridiculous and probably not even noticeably better even if the labor requirements didn't make it completely untenable.

If it took even just a few minutes to place each city that would be a full-time job. If it took any longer you're talking about a team of inno employees whose only duty would be placing new cities of whom almost all would quit within a day or 2 anyways.
And it would take that long to try and do it really well, because anything faster would require...yup, you guessed it, an algorithm.

Lovec Krys

Dozens of servers with who knows how many new cities created every hour and each one of them should be manually placed?
On the other hand, if it would mean function for players to manualy move their city in addition to current algorythm, it would be good.

Earwen1

On the other hand, if it would mean function for players to manualy move their city in addition to current algorythm, it would be good.
To move a city as a function for players... Maybe, but I think this should then be limited to once or twice a year or so.

As players, we can check if we want to be moved or not, which is ok. My worry is for people who start as new players, who have not yet an idea about how things work in Elvenar. I think it would be a good thing for both - InnoGames and starting player - if one of Inno's techies would just be able to make cities move manually, in cases needed. For example if a new player has a bad start in a place on the map with too mnny empty spots.

i would love a map of black holes.... it makes giving help to your neighbours so much faster... I deliberatly turned off player movement on a few new citys i made, and i honestly love the gold mine maps.
Without active neighbours you have less players that can trade with you and give not only gold, but supplies as well!
But of course, if you prefer that, why not...? :)

Lovec Krys

@Earwen1 Yes, could be usefull even with limitation. But i don't think that Inno would give us such function - too much work probably and too big chance of something going bad.
But something as a Friend function would probably function as well with less chance of ugly bugs. (meaning that you could have a group of friends you could trade with and give each other fast NH regardless the distance) and could be implemented at much less work.