• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Beta, how is it used?

Dhurrin

Ok, I know Im not going to make a lot of friends with this post, but Im going to put it here anyway.

I joined the beta world just a few days ago, mainly because I wanted access to the betaforum and be able to react. Of course, having a bit more insight in whats coming up is nice as well. So I spent my days off browsing the forum, looking at the archives and in between posting a few things and doing some light playing on my beta city, though that never is going to be a mainworld for me. All fine so far one could say, except I think it is not.

Granted, its been quite a while since I worked with games, or to be more specific, worked with online games as it was only a small set-up we started with some friends. And of course back then the internet wasnt what it is now, but the principle held up even back when I made boardgames.

The whole idea of having a beta testgroup is (or at least was for us) to form a link between developers and the playerbase. This was used to test the game and the mechanics, to catch problems before going out into the world. And used to catch things that were deemed obvious by us, as developers, partly because we spent a lot of time on it, talking with each other, leaving us blind to how an outsider looks at things. A pretty common problem too.
It made beta always messy, buggy, relatively small, but also fun.

We did however have have some very strict standards. The first beta group consisted of friends and some familymembers, one has to start somewhere.
But our beta world ran at about 8-10 times the regular speed, so one wouldnt have to wait for days or weeks to catch up to a point where something new was put in or a change was made.
The prices of paid functions also were much lower (actually, the first set up it was free because we didnt want to charge friends and family for helping out, but later on, it was about 1/5 of the normal price).
The beta world was a lot smaller than the real one would be (remember, back then 5 gig was deemed to be a huge harddrive).
The players on beta were required to give feedback regularly. We didnt have a forum, so that mostly was email, or by phone, or someone dropping in after work (yes, we did this mostly after work, with only the real designer fulltime on it).
When we expanded our testgroup we had regular players apply. They would get a bonus on the regular game for being a testsubject. It meant we could select active players, because irregular players dont contribute as much, if at all.

Now why do I mention this? Not because I like reliving the old days, but because I seem to miss the purpose of this beta world and forum.

The world is way too much like the other liveworlds, with just a little early warning for new stuff. And there are way too many inactive players.
As with the other liveworlds, way too few players make it to the forum. I guess thats partially because there are many international players, so language may be playing a role too.
I miss a longterm view of changes, because the speed is the same, it takes just as long here to encounter things as on the liveserver.

Most of all, it seems like a LOT of feedback is ignored. There certainly is not a lot of communication about it, nor answers from innogames.
A message like ' this has been forwarded to the dev team' actually doesnt say anything. Just a separate issue where regular updates about such things are given would be nice, even if its like 'under consideration/revision' or 'planned to be discussed in june' or 'discussed and rejected' (preferably with reason) etc. At least players would have some idea of whats going on.

Minding the feedback of your testers AND your customers is critically important if you want to survive. You can have a grand vision of where you want to go, but if your players dont want to go there you'll be left alone with that vision. Of course, in my eyes the whole point of having a testgroup is to catch that BEFORE going to spend a huge amount of time and effort in going there. One more reason to discuss ideas with that testgroup beforehand.

Talking about communication; tech really has advanced since those days. Remember most of your players dont make it to the forum. They just want to play. Sending an ingame message with a link to the forum releasenotes a few days before implementing isnt that hard.

Now for those who havent quit or fallen asleep while reading this, Id like to hear some of their views on the use of a beta group.

Last edited:

DeletedUser1665

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been a Beta tester for other companies and the Inno version is pretty sloppy and not very well thought out. It seems as though they use this as only a stepping stone to find programming bugs and while a vast majority of those are fixed quite a few still make it to the live servers.

I'm also seeing "We did this to make the game or that particular feature more balanced" in post's from the development team a lot without any real explanation. Case in point going all the way back to change a feature that was introduced in chapter I in the beginning this far into the game shows a lot of disrespect to their client base in the real world that have been supporting them up to this point.

The largest Imbalance I personally have witnessed came from the developers themselves (I'm referring to the past and present events):

On the live server in the first event they handed out Inspiring Mediation spells in ridiculous quantities, I still have 38 of them left over from that event.

Back when the Giant Snail Palace was introduced in Fairies it was proclaimed a Game changer by many people on the forums, yet the developers ended up introducing prizes such as Wonky Walters and Daunting Pumpkins which have values way to high causing many people that pay to play to realize they no longer had to pay to boost their cities, just wait for the next set of event buildings (of course that changed again with the next event).

It looks as though the current event is doomed as well. I say that because while it is great for beginning players the rewards vs the quests to reach the end are not worth the effort for the players that have been around for even just a few months, the amount of participation it takes to get a handful of rewards which are less then doing a 1 week tourney are way under par.

Hence my reason for saying if the developers are going to use the phrase "We did this to make the game or that particular feature more balanced" they should first have a look at how they are handling these events in the game since none of them seemed to be balanced.

DeletedUser1767

I've thought for a very long time now that the single biggest problem this game has -- even more so than the absence of communication -- is that it was released to live servers far too early, i.e. on the order of years. It seems to me that the version of the game available at the moment should still only be available in beta. There are too many changes happening to very basic aspects of the game. Moreover, in doing that, the devs have sort of dug themselves into a hole. We're only two weeks ahead here on Beta, and that's not nearly enough time to check the less-immediate consequences of each release, but they can't really freeze the live servers, because there are too many active, dedicated players who want more content; and they can't really speed up Beta, because they appear to be releasing content as fast as they have it ready.

Consequently, we here on Beta are used primarily as bug-catchers rather than test-players proper, because the schedule is too tight for us to be anything else. And since proper test-players are essential, this is a huge problem. Games need actual test-players in order to be viable.

I'm a scientist; I know that there are times when it's vital to a research project to not inform the subjects why they're doing what they're doing. From watching a close friend help write the MIT Mystery Hunt one year, I also know the importance of having blind test-solvers for puzzles. But Elvenar isn't a science experiment (as far as we know?) and it's not a puzzle. If we knew the context in which changes were happening, and the general direction the game is headed in, we could give better feedback. And... like... we're already giving pretty good feedback.

They could, at least to some extent, make up for the issues with the timing if they gave the Beta playerbase a lot more information about what is coming down the pipeline. There are so many smart and dedicated people in this forum who know the game inside out and who would be more than happy to help them catch these balancing issues before they become fiascos. The Beta players are a valuable resource they're not really utilising to anything like its full potential. We'd be even more valuable if we had more context. This needs to be more like a conversation than an experiment on blind subjects or a blind test-solving.

lika1961

This is a very interesting point. I had not thought about it before, but you are right - Beta is the same as the other worlds. We just get to deal with more bugs and know about changes in advance. Quite a joke actually when I read your explanation of what it should be. And the fact that no effort is made to encourage people to give feedback makes it worse. Perhaps all the people shouting about feedback being ignored have a point after all. Doesn't make me feel positive about the future of the game.

Dhurrin

This is a very interesting point. I had not thought about it before, but you are right - Beta is the same as the other worlds. We just get to deal with more bugs and know about changes in advance. Quite a joke actually when I read your explanation of what it should be. And the fact that no effort is made to encourage people to give feedback makes it worse. Perhaps all the people shouting about feedback being ignored have a point after all. Doesn't make me feel positive about the future of the game.

I dont know what it should be, but I can certainly see how I/we used our beta back then. And that meant beta was about a year ahead of the real game.
And as @Midnightsidhe says, its the same in science. Develop, run it, test it, adapt it, test it again until it works, then release it. And I fully agree with her feeling the whole game still should be beta since it obviously is having troubles even with the basics of the game, else there wouldnt have been a need to so many gamechanging (or gamewracking) adaptations.

And she's right about the new content. Though in al honesty, I dont feel one can blame the devs there, since its going to be impossible to program faster than your players will play indefinitely. They will always catch up. Point is, this now is seen as a major problem so they try anything to slow players down, taking away the fun of the game. Personally, I think many players will work towards that goal anyway, so let them and give them some kind of reward for that. Sure, their activity will then drop, but hey, that happens now too, only now its more with a sense of frustration than satisfaction. Satisfied players are much more likely to come back when new content is released.

As for not being able to freeze the liveservers, true, but they should be able to speed up the pace of the betaworld, it was not by accident we ran it at a higher speed.

Seems like the idea of making money out of this game has trumped common sense.

Last edited:

Dhurrin

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been a Beta tester for other companies and the Inno version is pretty sloppy and not very well thought out. It seems as though they use this as only a stepping stone to find programming bugs and while a vast majority of those are fixed quite a few still make it to the live servers.

I'm also seeing "We did this to make the game or that particular feature more balanced" in post's from the development team a lot without any real explanation. Case in point going all the way back to change a feature that was introduced in chapter I in the beginning this far into the game shows a lot of disrespect to their client base in the real world that have been supporting them up to this point.

The largest Imbalance I personally have witnessed came from the developers themselves (I'm referring to the past and present events):

On the live server in the first event they handed out Inspiring Mediation spells in ridiculous quantities, I still have 38 of them left over from that event.

Back when the Giant Snail Palace was introduced in Fairies it was proclaimed a Game changer by many people on the forums, yet the developers ended up introducing prizes such as Wonky Walters and Daunting Pumpkins which have values way to high causing many people that pay to play to realize they no longer had to pay to boost their cities, just wait for the next set of event buildings (of course that changed again with the next event).

It looks as though the current event is doomed as well. I say that because while it is great for beginning players the rewards vs the quests to reach the end are not worth the effort for the players that have been around for even just a few months, the amount of participation it takes to get a handful of rewards which are less then doing a 1 week tourney are way under par.

Hence my reason for saying if the developers are going to use the phrase "We did this to make the game or that particular feature more balanced" they should first have a look at how they are handling these events in the game since none of them seemed to be balanced.

Sorry for the late reaction, but Im glad Im not the only one who feels this way.
I played games all my life, made my own even at a young age, tinkered with rules of existing games, made/invented some more, but just dont see the real beta part here.
Just as the number of known bugs and problems going live anyway. I dont see the need to have 2 crappy updates each month. One working one will be much better.

Last edited:

DeletedUser1877

I'm a very very long time gamer, never been a beta tester before and too new here to add to this conversatuon, EXCEPT to say it's wonderful to see an intelligent dialogue in these forums. Thanks all!

DeletedUser1596

This is .. difficult. I think that the community here would have to grow up a bit to be truly helpful. You see, some.. or maybe most.. of the posts here reflect only needs and wishes of the players that just want their cities to grow faster, they want this and that because they like it, and they want it because their neighbour has it... and that is not a feedback. That's just a list of wishes and complaints. You won't find a comment saying: This quest is too easy, this event is too rewarding, my unit is too strong, my building is OP, ... You won't find a feedback saying: This is useless for me but my "little"neighbour would be happy about it. This may hurt me now but it will be useful in a long run...
Instead, you can find a lot of threats, insults and hate-talk.

Some feedbacks may be useful, but it's not enough to start a dialog between players and developers. Recently, the mods started poll-ing our ideas, which I see as a step forward... BUT STILL, WE ARE THE BETA TESTERS, god damn it. We are the bridge between the developers and those.. ordinary people ;) on live servers, we deserve to know more! :)

Dhurrin

@Urvalsandal
You are right that it is difficult. And yes, people need to be able to look at things like you described.
Sure, I too complain about stuff at times because its me getting hurt. But on the other hand. Im one of only 3 players in my FS on the liveserver who comes to the forum and I take their views along.
But the point remains that the feedback needs to be given. Positive and negative. And then has to be taken seriously.

DeletedUser1665

Well the last time I was a Beta tester in the forum there was an exclusive place for us to visit, we had a Q&A section in which the actual Game developers would post remarks and we could ask questions or give opinions. You were not allowed to start a thread in it but you were allowed to post in any threads that they had already started.

Dhurrin

Well the last time I was a Beta tester in the forum there was an exclusive place for us to visit, we had a Q&A section in which the actual Game developers would post remarks and we could ask questions or give opinions. You were not allowed to start a thread in it but you were allowed to post in any threads that they had already started.

Makes sense to me. We of course were a bit more restricted in that time.
But that should be an interesting concept, a video conference, for instance once a month, where some devs go on and explain things, while logged in players can send questions by chat. That concept is used for many purposes nowadays, dont see why it couldnt work here too.

DeletedUser1877

By my count we have 6 people in this discussion who can converse and exchange ideas like adults. Can we build on that, and become a real voice for the real meaning of Beta testing? Can we find a way to work with mods and devs to make this world what it should be?

Sir Squirrel

I like the idea of a Q&A section where the developers could ask specific questions (and give answers) as it would go along way to helping us see the bigger picture and may help us to see why some changes were necessary. It would also help us to make suggestions and idea's that were inline with what their future goals are. Not sure about the video conference as it would have to be at a specified time and there are a lot of different players playing in different time zones.

Brummbaer

I totally agree with you,
from my point of view the time from the beta release to go live is too short with 2 weeks. I would prefer 4 weeks. We "Bug-catcher" need the time to make the game better before it goes live. Yes to all opinions about a better chance for a direct conversation with the developer team.
It makes me happy that actual here is a crowd of players with the same meaning what beta should be.
Looking forward that INNO take this chance to involve players in their future plans.
My idea is that some - let say "selected players" can work closer together in a separate "work / chat room" to exchange ideas/ suggestions.

Dhurrin

I like the idea of a Q&A section where the developers could ask specific questions (and give answers) as it would go along way to helping us see the bigger picture and may help us to see why some changes were necessary. It would also help us to make suggestions and idea's that were inline with what their future goals are. Not sure about the video conference as it would have to be at a specified time and there are a lot of different players playing in different time zones.

The time zones are a problem. For some seminars for work we do this, with times set like one or two months in advance, so people are able to schedule things.
And of course not every player needs to be there, a group could just designate one player who will be there and give him a list of questions.
Our seminars used to be on a separate server, and be recorded so other people could look at it afterwards.

Now we just have to hope that some of the @innogames dev team pick up on this thread

DeletedUser1665

Q&A section where the developers could ask specific questions
Actually it was the other way around, they would tell us what to expect (developers minds are usually made up) and we could ask questions and get real answers as to what and why they were going in a specific direction. Not everyone was pleased but most were.

The idea of a video chat in this day and age sounds nice but I don't think it is practical for a game development unless your one of the people actually making the game.

Dhurrin

Actually it was the other way around, they would tell us what to expect (developers minds are usually made up) and we could ask questions and get real answers as to what and why they were going in a specific direction. Not everyone was pleased but most were.

The idea of a video chat in this day and age sounds nice but I don't think it is practical for a game development unless your one of the people actually making the game.

Even if it is a monologue of explanation, though perhaps with some time for questions afterwards, it still is way more than whats going on now.
I mean, Im sure they try, but the forumposts called 'releasenotes' are so vague as to be mostly useless. 'Balance' seems to be a keyword, but never an explanation of what is supposedly being balanced, nor why.
Same with 'several issues on this have been adressed'. I would like details on that.

On the bright part, Im very glad to see a group of likeminded people.

DeletedUser1767

This is .. difficult. I think that the community here would have to grow up a bit to be truly helpful. You see, some.. or maybe most.. of the posts here reflect only needs and wishes of the players that just want their cities to grow faster, they want this and that because they like it, and they want it because their neighbour has it... and that is not a feedback. That's just a list of wishes and complaints.
I wonder if/how much that would start to change if we had something more like a conversation. One of the problems I see is that many players (at least, on the forums) don't trust the devs, and some even regard the game as a sort of Devs Vs Players battle, and when people distrust or feel threatened, they're more likely to want to hold on to their stuff (as they perceive it) all the harder. It's this sort of "Nobody cares about what I want, so I'm going to care about what I want really hard" phenomenon. Frustrated people aren't usually inclined to be charitable. If the devs tried to open up a little, show the players that they're not out to get them, that might go a long way towards establishing some trust. People are still people, and we're always going to want what we want (and some people are never going to be made to care about anything beyond what they want), but most people tend to be more willing to look beyond their immediate interests when they believe someone else cares about what they want. And of course, opacity tends to breed a lot of problems in general, including paranoia.

The other thing is that there could be a sort of reinforcing negative spiral here -- e.g. players get frustrated, which makes them angry and reactionary, and then all the devs hear are complaints, which probably doesn't make them eager to respond or engage with players (no one likes being yelled at), and then this makes players more frustrated... and so it goes.

They do sometimes release longer explanations, like with the battle refiguring, but interpreting those kind of requires a lot of reading between the lines, and that leaves lots of room for ambiguity and misunderstanding.

I agree with @Brummbaer that four weeks would be much better than two. We do tend to find a lot of bugs quickly after each release, but they still lurk! And the devs can't always fix them all in time for two weeks. I also really like the QA forum idea.

@Dhurrin, you started off by saying you wouldn't be making any friends with this post, but I for one am really glad you started this conversation. :)

Dhurrin

@Midnightsidhe
I meant quite some devs probably wouldnt like me for kinda coming down on their beta setup. Its just another comment on their way of doing things.

You make a lot of good points, especially about the negative spiral. So somewhere that needs to be reversed, and quickly or the game is going to be sunk Im afraid. More and more people are leaving and actually Im one of those. This whole wholesaler disaster is the last straw, which pretty much ended the fun. But Im far from the only one.

Id say even 4 weeks is on the short side. But I still feel speeding up the game on beta will be a way to help that.
And a very rigorous cleaning up of inactive players, probably buying off the others with some diamonds, though it might be easier to start another beta world, but select a max of 400 or so players.
Then form several groups of players and set up some kind of communication to get the feedback more directly to the devs.
Also, a pretty rigorous cleaning of the forum, or start a new forum, only devoted to the testing. So no (or at least not too much) social stuff, not about looking for fellowships, all that can stay on another server.
At least one fulltime moderator to check on doubles and keep it focused.

I could go on, but it would take quite a lot from the devs to even consider this.

Last edited: