• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Beginner Tips & Tricks Guide

DeletedUser126

After playing the game for a while now and solidifying my No.1 position on the ranking i was contacted by many of the new players about guidance and suggestions. After providing those, i decided that's its worth to put some sort of starting guide for new players that's pointing out key things to be aware of.

General Tips & Tricks:

- Some quests can be abandoned during the first age once you do basic ones. Each era got its own set of quests you can do or abandon.

- Look at my city and study some of the design tricks and adapt them in your own city. ;) I prefer balance of functionality, efficiency anhttps://beta.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=Main_Paged looks. There are ways to squeeze few more extra bits of space if you sacrifice the looks of your city completely, and you will have to rebuild your city each time you get any size upgrade fit in.

- You can buy steel/wood/marble resources from trader wholesaler for tools/gold/strategic resource for your town. Only resources that are not your strategic resource are available in the wholesaler. You get access to each tier after you research and activate the boost technology for your resource.

- Game score is calculated based on your total min culture and working population. You get bonus points for exploring new provinces. The higher level they are the more points you get.

- Elves and Humans have different types of combat units that work differently check Elvenar Wiki for more details. Elves have smaller Guild hall as well 6x6 while humans have 6x7, while elves have 3x3 builders hall and humans get 3x2 builders hall.

- You can spend gold to buy knowledge points, or you can explore new regions and get one point and relic for each completed encounter.

- Only way to communicate in game right now is through in game message system, chat is not yet implemented. If you want to talk to me over voice join Excessum Gaming Community mumble server on www.excessum-gaming.com/mumble I run the site and I'm online for most of the day.

- You can leave small message in your Town name, instead of town name ;)

- Remember this is still Closed Beta Phase 1. Game can have bugs, be unbalanced and miss a lot of core features that you are normally accustomed to. Test the game, report the bugs on the forum and have fun playing the game ! If you have any good ideas how to improve the game put it in to nice post and try to explain your idea to the rest of us!

- There are no wipes any more, this will be beta server accessible to everyone on release !

- At lv 15 barracks your town gets walls visible at the exploration screen.

- You can trade with other people even if you did not discover them yet, there is hidden range for that, and people might be able to buy materials off you w/o extra cost if they have you explored even if you dont have them explored :) So be sure to put that items up for trade :)

Town Tips & Tricks:

- Optimize your town layout to fit in as much buildings as you can. But don't make it to boring please ;)

- Focus production on the resource that you have a boost for. One of the 3 assigned resources around your city, each for every tier. You can see which one you have in your town hall or if you go to exploration map and look around your city. You cant change them they are chosen for you when you are randomly placed on the map.

- First 2-3 Upgrades of all the buildings are very easy to do but it gets more expensive after that.

- Majority of all 3rd age buildings req. now strategic resource to be upgraded!

- Plan ahead some buildings will expand in size after lv5-6 upgrade and take more place so its good to have that in mind for the future.

- Culture buildings and items don't need road access to place them, even if that makes the town look silly a lot! (Hope it will be changed unlike FoE)

- After each town hall upgrade you will get more gold and tools for each player visiting your city, or you visiting other player and motivating buildings.

- Trader is not server wide. It only have limited amount of people it can access to. The value is unknown. People that where discovered by you will not have 50% trader cut for you, but until they discover you, they will still have to pay that cut if they will want to buy your products.

- The Trader ratting score is different for players that did not discover you yet as they will have to pay 50% cut. If you cant manage to trade your resources consider offering 25%-50% more for what you are looking for.

- Builders hall is one of the most important upgrades you can have for your city after the second age. The upgrades costs 500/1000/1500 Diamonds respectively.

- Every new tier of Town hall gives you access to new building space that costs 500 Diamonds. At lv 7 Town hall it is increased to 650 Diamonds each.

- Aim at 140%-170% Happiness. You should get 200% of your neighbor motivation. It costs to much space if you try to do it yourself. Its not worth it! This bonus don't affects your resource production!

- Upgrading Building to next Tier (size) will give massive income bonus!

- Always have some buildings upgraded a little further than the rest. Have them ready for overnight or when you at work construction. Its waste to set 2h construction when you can do a 7-9h Town hall or Barack's upgrade instead. The longest building time is in this order. Town Hall >> Barracks >> Culture buildings >> Tools Workshop >> Residences >> Armory >> Resource Production

- Only buildings till Age 3 that need resources for construction are resource production buildings and Barracks. All knowledge technology upgrades require a LOT of resources so plan ahead! This can change after 3rd Age Town Hall upgrade !

- Unconnected Buildings still provide extra population but they dont generate gold anymore!

- To collect coins/supplies of houses/workshops in your city, there is no need to do it one by one ... You can click on a house or workshop ready to be collected, keep the mouse-button pressed and move your mouse with pressed mouse-button over all other houses/workshops which are ready to be collected.

-If you want to 'upgrade' a street to an improved/better street, there's no need to erase/delete the street, you can build the new one directly over the old one.

- The builder 10% bonus dont kicks in for tier 1-2 buildings.

- It makes sense to put Residence (the basic-ones for 200 coins each) on free places (if you have any). Because they are profitable after 2-3 hours and it doesn't harm, to sell them afterwards at any time, but they earn some coins in the meantime.

- Try to optimize the how many resource production buildings you have with the quests you have available for your age to get quests finished after every cycle for max rewards

- You will need min 8x Tool manufactures in the endgame for the 1h cycle quest

Combat Tips & Tricks:

- Units in combat are not considered individual. For example 32 units of Bersekers do the same damage as 1 Berseker as long as they are alive. Yes i know it doesn't make any sense, i didn't came up with this :p Always finish off any enemy stacks!

- Combat right now is very simple, buggy and unfinished missing core features that you would expect from hex turn based combat. Have patience, and be prepared you will spend more resources to unlock new zones than actually fight for now.

- Building Armories will allow you to build more units per queue slot, and you get more slots as you upgrade barracks and reduce the building time % wise. More armories is not necessarily good, depends how often you check on the game. If you play actively 2 might be enough if you check twice a day 4. If you do it even less you have to balance it yourself ;)

- Basic units can be upgraded over time to make them more efficient and have additional effects.

- Hellhounds can kill enemies much harder than you could normally kill as long as you attack only ranged units! They can attack on first turn all the way to the end of the map if there are no obstacles!

- Always finish off any units, even if they have 1 unit left. They will still do full damage otherwise.

- Use obstacles in battle to limit how many enemies you fight at the same time. This is particularly effective with a lot of many melee units

- You can enter battle and leave it w/o any consequences. Use it to check the battle terrain! It can make a big difference if you can beet it or not.

Exploration Tips & Tricks:

- Explore as much as you can, as long as you have spare coins. This will allow you to trade with more people (w/o the 50% Trader cut) and will give you extra building space and resource production boost and bonus gold/tools for visiting and motivating other players.

- Every 6 relics of the type you use you will get % boost to that resource production. There is no use for relics that are not used by your town yet.

- For every building space upgrade you get from exploring and finishing zones, you need to do 1 more zone each time after that. For example first one only needs 1 zone finished to get upgrade. Second needs two, third needs three and so on.

- Each exploration zone have specific monster and negotiation resources required based on their tier and type of the zone.

- If you visit someone else city and motivate their building, and they come back and motivate yours you both will get extra rewards for that !

- Scouting upgrades reduce cost and time foe exploring new zones

That's all i can think about right now that everyone playing the game should know. I'm sure its not everything and some things might change over time but i hope it will be helpful to all the players testing the game!

Regards,
Khebeln

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser126

*** Reserved ***

- Updated Several Tips with more accurate information, and rephrased few of the others to be easier to understand.

- Added more tips and tricks !

- Reformatted and reorganized the whole guide for easier read !

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser126

There are more tips probably. Just cant think of them right now. I will keep this one updated. Will appreciate any tips anyone else might have, and add them to the guide. :)

DeletedUser

Nice guide, And I'm with Inque there, the negotiation reset is an intreseting one which I didn't know yet. When I come up with some additional tips I'll let you know so you can include them :)

DeletedUser126

I will be monitoring this post for any new tips & suggestions.

Normally i write unique guides and publish them on the website i run, but since this is still closed beta i cant publish it outside yet ;)

DeletedUser

Missing Info: (?)
I not sure, but I think it is not possible to save more than 10 research (knowledge) points. So it is good to spend the points :-D

DeletedUser170

I did not agree on all the parts, and have some plus, I don't want to say that this is not helpful: my idea is probably the same as yours - makeing it better :)

- Focus production on the resource that you have a boost for. One of the 3 randomly assigned resources. One for each Tier. You can see which one you have in your town hall.
I don't think it's random at all. Although other playrs should check but the 3 boosted goods are in your neighbouring provinces, probably on your north, southeast and southwest. (Please check and post if not.

- Look at my city and study some of the design tricks and adapt them in your own city.
You have still a lot of roads. Use all 4 sides of the main building ;) Though it's harder to recreate your city if a new size come, and you have to do it as soon as you can, because it is incredibly hard to relocate your main builidng after you have filled up the place (go and check my city! It is not perfect, I would need a new row under the workshops.)

- Every 6 relics of the type you use you will get % boost to that resource production. There is no use for relics that are not used by your town yet.
In the biggining I'm sure it is not six, later on it might be. Note the pattern of the map btw.

- Only buildings that need resources for construction are resource production buildings and Barracks. All knowledge technology upgrades require a LOT of resources so plan ahead!
According to wiki from level 9 the residence requires resources too. Probably same with workshops.

DeletedUser58

I don't think it's random at all. Although other playrs should check but the 3 boosted goods are in your neighbouring provinces, probably on your north, southeast and southwest. (Please check and post if not.)
I was discussing this with another player a few days ago, he had noticed the same and it's the same for me as well. :)

DeletedUser126

I did not agree on all the parts, and have some plus, I don't want to say that this is not helpful: my idea is probably the same as yours - makeing it better :)

- Focus production on the resource that you have a boost for. One of the 3 randomly assigned resources. One for each Tier. You can see which one you have in your town hall.
I don't think it's random at all. Although other playrs should check but the 3 boosted goods are in your neighbouring provinces, probably on your north, southeast and southwest. (Please check and post if not.

- Look at my city and study some of the design tricks and adapt them in your own city.
You have still a lot of roads. Use all 4 sides of the main building ;) Though it's harder to recreate your city if a new size come, and you have to do it as soon as you can, because it is incredibly hard to relocate your main builidng after you have filled up the place (go and check my city! It is not perfect, I would need a new row under the workshops.)

In the biggining I'm sure it is not six, later on it might be. Note the pattern of the map btw.

- Only buildings that need resources for construction are resource production buildings and Barracks. All knowledge technology upgrades require a LOT of resources so plan ahead!
According to wiki from level 9 the residence requires resources too. Probably same with workshops.

1st) Good find, ill update it. Tho in the end your placement is still random ;P so my point stands :)

2th) I know how to make perfect city based on FoE, but it only works till you get to size upgrading. Not to mention its ugly as @#$@! as you only make one road and place cultural buildings packed somewhere far away from roads all together. I dont like that design even if it will give me a bit of extra space.

What i meant by look at my city, is look at the tricks used at the end of the roads or how i prepare for next tier upgrades and so on. Never told anyone to copy paste my city :p

I could get couple of extra space now but in the long run this gives me a lot more flexibility, and i plan where i will add new squares to get extra space. All my buildings are placed in a way that plans for the next size upgrade, you can study it in the wiki :)

3th) I only said that based on what i already did myself. No one have 3rd age buildings yet, i might have next week maybe. If that is true i will update the guide.

DeletedUser

My english is not very good, so my question is: Is it possible to use titles to separate the tipps and tricks in different theme blocks? I think this is useful for people with less english knowledges. It make the tips better to understand.
Sorry for my bad english :rolleyes:. The tips are very good, but it is for my eyes and my smocking brain a wall of text.:oops:

DeletedUser126

Its still an early version of the guide, and its an on going process i will try to sort them out a bit in different sections later on.

DeletedUser126

Not sure if its just me but the dogs feel like the only decent unit right now lol :D ofc against ranged :)

DeletedUser

Thanks so much for posting this. I cannot comprehend it all in one time, but will be using it along the way.
Duetje