• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

[Battle] Military Research

Are you in favor of this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser338

Summary
Implement a way to research extra battle spells/additions/skills.

Description
Ok, so we all like to be stronger than the enemy, but it's kind of annoying that we can only get stronger through the research tree. So I introduce to you; Military Research.
80J3ekS.png

Military research would allow you to use one of these devices once in a battle (after you unlock them of course). They would be unlocked by fighting a certain tier province or by collecting a certain amount of relics. The upgrades for devices would be unlocked with goods/gold/supplies though.

Explanation of the devices:
Cannon: shoots a cannonball in a straight line. The normal cannon can't be used when one of your squads stands in front of it, because then you would hit your own troops. Cannon+ would be able to aim past your troops and would be able to shoot from behind your squads. Cannon+ would also have slightly improved damage, especially against heavy melee. Example of how cannon shoots:
0c8PG1U.png

Catapult:
u60SN3q.png

Catapult would be able to hit 7 hexagons at once, as shown above. You could aim it wherever you want, but it does not deal as much damage as the cannon. However, it does hit multiple enemies at once. Once again, you would not be able to use it if it would also hit your squads. The upgraded version would do more damage, I don't see any reason to add any other benefits. (You can also see the "Use War Device" button in this picture, it would open a window that lets you choose what device you want to use)

Harpoon:
Harpoon would let you target one enemy, much like the cannon, but it does not shoot in a straight line. Instead, it can be fired anywhere, much like how priests work. The upgraded Harpoon would have extra damage against light melee and short ranged. No pictures here.

Other ideas for Military Research include, but are not limited to;
-War Cry: All your troops gain 10% bonus damage for one round.
-Improvement of current troops: Barbarian Axeman/their Elven variant would learn to use spears (gaining 1 extra attack range), Short ranged units would learn how to use shield (for extra defence), etc.
-Traps: Damages a unit that walks over them.

One final note from me: I currently have very little problems with fighting provinces, however, in the future it might once again become somewhat more challenging. This is mainly meant for those times. There is no need to put this into the game anytime soon, in my opinion. However, once people start complaining about the difficulty of battles again, I would like to see something like this implemented.

Motivation
Nice addition to the game, would give the battle system an extra dimention, good for player engagement, makes battles more interesting.

Possible downsides
Can also make the battle system more complicated and game balance must not rely on these skills too much, in order to be able to win battles.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

You are the cannon to ... ideas! You have lots of great ideas ! :)
For the harpoon, could you put a picture (if possible) ?
For the spear would be like him ?
60px-Mob_knight.png

And finally, there could be a search by "parts" of the research tree?

DeletedUser338

I have many more ideas, but they're harder to explain. I'll try to write them all down sometime later :p
I didn't really have a really great image of how the harpoon would look like, but I guess it would look somewhat like this:
stock-photo-harpoon-leonardo-da-vinci-codex-madrid-i-r-115810435.jpg

Keep in mind that these devices are not supposed to show up on the battlefield though. They're not units like the swordsman or archer. You just pick the device you want, aim and there'll be damage done.
And yes, Barbarian Axemen/Elven light melee would get the range of Paladins. They'd still be a lot less tanky though.
And I'd like to keep this separated from the normal research tree, because I think military research should not be dependent on how well your city is doing, but on how well you do in battle.

DeletedUser

I am fairly sure a catapult is very large for such a small map. Does it damage friendly units too?

DeletedUser338

My first idea was indeed to make it damage friendly units, but I figured that might be somewhat confusing at first, so I just decided it should be impossible to fire if it would hit a friendly unit.
Also, you wouldn't see the catapult. What I circled there is just what would get hit (the boulder that would land there). I don't want an actual catapult or cannon on the map, just some extra damage to help you out when it's needed.

DeletedUser

Why would it be confusing to hit friendly units? I shoot boulder and it lands among axe barbarians and thiefs. Simple as that

DeletedUser338

Yea, but some/most games don't let you hit friendly units. So if I would allow that, there would be without doubt complaining that it's confusing for newbies.

DeletedUser

Well I can see your point now. Maybe we can have god powers? Something to do with the relics we collected. Give me an hour and I have a more worked out idea.

DeletedUser338

Well, I figured this would be somewhat like "god powers", but with technology instead. I don't really like the idea of a god randomly coming to help you on the battlefield :p

DeletedUser

Well, I figured this would be somewhat like "god powers", but with technology instead. I don't really like the idea of a god randomly coming to help you on the battlefield :p
How about a franchise into Minions? :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

Not the little yellow ones from the movie (although I just ate a Banana, when I had that idea), but Mercenaries that are for hire or can be produced in the barracks, or some new building.

At the moment we can only boost to a certain amount but the troops we face (at least the ones I do) are usually double or more in size. An additional boost would be great.

DeletedUser338

You mean like, we could train Orcs or something? That would definitely be interesting. I wouldn't mind hiring some Mortars to work for me :p

DeletedUser

You mean like, we could train Orcs or something? That would definitely be interesting. I wouldn't mind hiring some Mortars to work for me :p
Precisely, or troops that you can add and they increase the strength of the ones you sent to battle for provinces

DeletedUser

Just another Idea: traps.....
you post them on the field.. have to avoid then because they damage any unit...

DeletedUser

We need Elves in this thread! Come with ideas that would murder and we will be your friend.

DeletedUser

No I didn't see them. Do you wear pointy shoes? Come up with some interesting devices and powers and I will be your friend, maybe even give you some cheese.

DeletedUser

No I didn't see them. Do you wear pointy shoes? Come up with some interesting devices and powers and I will be your friend, maybe even give you some cheese.
I came up with the traps....

so where is me Cheese?