• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Battle Help: Planks Encounter Chapter 3

DeletedUser

Pre-planning for a province that I need to battle in soon, and trying to improve my battling skills. I’ve scoured the web and gathered some information. Combination enemies are harder for me, especially because it seems so many units all do the exact same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Province Type: Planks
Chapter: 3
Squad Size: Still Researching Squad Size 8 (currently a green encounter, but should turn blue once my ss is researched)

Suggested Units for Plank Encounters:
chapter3unitsPlanks.JPG

Enemy Units/Tips:
planksenemytousechapter3.JPG

Question:
A tip on a website, said to use all golems in this encounter.
1. Which set up is better and why?

A. 5 Golems
B. 1 Archer II and 4 Golems
C. 4 Sword Dancer II and 1 Archer II
D. 2 Golems
E. Cater
F. None of the Above and here’s why (and for @SoggyShorts - F. “All Wrong”!)

2. Once you have a new unit, (Golems are new for me) is it always better to use the latest and greatest? Even though, golems are better against light melee than light ranged?

Yes, I’m kidding @shadowblack about choice D.

Deleted User - 60107

2. Once you have a new unit, (Golems are new for me) is it always better to use the latest and greatest? Even though, golems are better against light melee than light ranged?
No, you should use Golems only when they are actually good against the enemies. If the enemy has mostly Mage units and/or Heavy Melee units, then Golems tend to be a poor choice. But in this particular example they are a good choice.

As for your first question, the correct answers is:
T. Depends on the Terrain.

Start the battle with a single squad of Archers and check out the battlefield. See how far enemy units can move and how far your units can move, then retreat. Depending on the terrain choose one of the following:
- 5 Golems - best if all enemy archers can reach and attack all of your units on the first turn and your units can do the same in return. Keep your Golems away from the Orc Generals until all three squads of enemy archers are dead. Then make sure to hit the Orc Generals with all 5 squads of Golems before they can attack you
- a mix of Golems and Archers - depends on the obstacles, so not much I can say here
- 5 squads fo Archers - if the obstacles make it impossible for the enemy archers to attack your units on the first turn, it might be best to choose 5 archers, skip your first turn so that the enemies can come closer, and then hit them hard, possibly killing them all before they even have a chance to attack you. This option is best if there are a lot of obstacles limiting the effectiveness of Golems - since Archers have better range than Golems, obstacles are a bit less of a problem for Archers (orany Light Ranged unit, really)

DeletedUser

Thanks @shadowblack

Okay, that’s what I meant about Golems being a new unit and a planks encounter. Sword Dancers are good against bandits and dryads but golems are my newest unit, who also are good against bandits and dryads. I wouldn’t use golems in a mage encounter.

Check terrain. I have never done this and will add terrain notes. Will take some getting used to battling this way. All really good information for me to try out. Most sites, go with a catch all approach, but not you! I will most likely do this for each province, and am so grateful for the help. No sense having blue maps if I don’t know how to battle a little better.

CrazyWizard

Pre-planning for a province that I need to battle in soon, and trying to improve my battling skills. I’ve scoured the web and gathered some information. Combination enemies are harder for me, especially because it seems so many units all do the exact same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Province Type: Planks
Chapter: 3
Squad Size: Still Researching Squad Size 8 (currently a green encounter, but should turn blue once my ss is researched)

Suggested Units for Plank Encounters:
View attachment 5490

Enemy Units/Tips:
View attachment 5491

Question:
A tip on a website, said to use all golems in this encounter.
1. Which set up is better and why?

A. 5 Golems
B. 1 Archer II and 4 Golems
C. 4 Sword Dancer II and 1 Archer II
D. 2 Golems
E. Cater
F. None of the Above and here’s why (and for @SoggyShorts - F. “All Wrong”!)

Yes, I’m kidding @shadowblack about choice D.

Are you planning on manual of autocombat.
Best is trail and error. especially using the autocombat.
There are some exeptions but in general I follow the following rule.

The AI sucks and in most cases 5x the same unit works a lot better than a spread of units.
if 5x the same unit is not an option, cater.

Trail and error will show you the exeptions. sometimes a bit manual can also save you a lot of units. and last but not least, when you unlock new units reset your knowledge and retry somtimes units improve to a point they start working.

DeletedUser

@CrazyWizard, I’m doing more manual fighting right now. It seems sometimes, if you know the right units you can auto-battle more with fewer losses. I do a lot of trial and error, like use 3 or 4 squads instead of 5. If my units are one shotting the enemy, my own units will get in my own way with 5 squads.

I’m a bit forgetful with battling and once I have a live city, it would be nice to have all of this information instead of re-learning it again.

With blue maps, it says “Very Easy, piece of cake”! to stick in a bunch of terrain issues would not make it very easy, piece of cake. But, with my final green and yellow encounters when finishing a chapter maybe that’s where scouting is better?

CrazyWizard

if you are manually fighting the game is open, but I would not recomment using less than 5 units.

As in your example:
4x golem/ork strategist(if you have the building, works better) 1 times archer.
start with the archer in a safe location unable to be reached in the first round by the opponent.
Charge in with your golems to kill the ligt ranged units, and retreat, and use your archer to kill of the orc general?(heavy melee). if you get into a tight spot use your golems to assist but delay it as long as possible.

I hope this workt well on the "low level" units as I am normally used to 3 star archer and golems.

DeletedUser

Okay my map didn't turn blue, guess I need another ss upgrade. It would fall under the moderate terrain issues. If blue is no terrain issues and green maps represent moderate terrain. 1 archer 4 golems then. Thanks guys this was extremely helpful.

DeletedUser

Having just completed 72 encounters (and not 1 encounter pre-scouted) I don’t recall a single terrain issue in battling blue encounters. Only obstacles I had, was using 5 squads instead of 3 or 4.

But good idea, I’ll wait until they are blue and switch to swords and archers.

Heymrdiedier

honestly from my memory, lvl 1 golem sucks until you get lvl 3 version.
I would cater this fight if its a yellow orange or red province, and would only fight it, if blue or green.
If your golem is still level 1, the chances are high the catercosts are still peanuts, and if you use only boosted manufactories, you should have plenty of goods to cater these fights.

DeletedUser

I think lost more units using all golems versus 1 archer and 4 golems if I understand this correctly. Even though it looks like less losses, with golems you have to multiply the golems loss by 6? Is that right?

DeletedUser

Okay maybe I'm not understanding this then.
If my squad sizes are
Archers/Swords - 141
Sorceress - 36
Golems and Treants - 24
And I lose 1 golem when I finish the battle it shows 23 isn't that 6 units? 23.5 x 6 is 141
and in another battle of archers if I start with 141 and end with 116 isn't that 25 units?

Karvest

If you loose 1 golem - you loose 1/24 of squad, if you loose 25 archers - you loose 25/141 of squad.

DeletedUser

@Karvest I'm trying to figure out which provinces to cater versus battle. My losses are in units, not squads, but I figured it out with this event - for me golems count as 6 units each.

Karvest

As you progress through chapters, your SS would increase, and absolute loses (in units) would increase too, while relative loses (in squads) would stay ~ the same (if you are performing ~ same in the fight). All battle windows operate with squads, not with individual units. And fight result also show % of loses per squad.

DeletedUser

Thanks @Karvest
Okay, here's how I'm calculating (I'm being a fun sucker now) my losses and comparing it to catering. I'm trying to figure out the break even point between battling and negotiating on my map.

Using your battle: I subtract the remaining from the original size of 392
Golems are counted as 6 units.

Squad 1: You lost 42x6 = 252 units
Squad 2: You lost 240x6 = 1,440 units
Squad 3: You lost 34x6 = 204 Units
Squad 4: Zero lost
Squad 5: You lost 24x6 = 144 Units

Total losses: 2,040 Units
Cost per unit: 87 Supplies
Total Cost: 177,480

Is this better than negotiating?

I've found in my scrolls provinces, no matter what i do my losses are generally greater using my army so now I cater scroll provinces.

My gems province, I need to redo, I think I'm battling it wrong. Instead of hitting heavy ranged against heavy ranged, I'm trying to get out of the hit radius and they keep getting hit. Will try it again.

If you have a different way to calculate this please share.