• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

[Battle] Choosing Army size

Are you in favor of this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

Summary
Make players able to decide how many units they want to put in a squad when entering the battle.

Description
At this point my army size can be as big as 36 in a stack, which is really great, but will there be a way to choose how many you want to send into battle? Like if I highlight the stack can I have a sliding bar that allows me to add up to 36 units into my stack box? In the recruiting area I know you can choose between recruiting 1 to your max, I just feel like you should be able to do this with battles too. That way you can send smaller numbers of more expensive units. For example if I have Knights I don't want to send in 36 knights to the battle, in case I lose a bunch of them, so instead I will put 5.

Motivation
More engagement in the battle system.

Possible downsides
Putting less units in a stack than the max, will make it harder to win the battles, which can cause disappointments for players who don't really understand the battle system anyway. This functionality would be a benefit particularly for players who are engaged in the battle system enough to care about squad size tactics.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Or separating your 36 units into 3 squads of 12. Because with one squad you can only fight one enemy, but you don't necessary need the fighting power of a 36 squad to kill one enemy. With 3 squads of 12 units you can kill 3 enemy.

DeletedUser

Yes, I've been looking for this possibility but it's not here... (yet). Hopefully it will be added in the future!

DeletedUser31

Dividing squads would be nice. Even if you could divide to just the researched sizes of squads (12; 24; 36... units).

DeletedUser

I remember dividing squads was a very nice tactical choice in some old turn-based strategy games. It would be great having it here.

DeletedUser

Agreed. For some fights it's better to have smaller squads if you can't fill the maximum amount of squads otherwise

DeletedUser

I do not know how your encounter fights are going, but in my case (just researched nearly useless ents, fighting in ring 5 and 6) only a massive attack with the biggest squad brings victory. At the beginning I wanted such a feature as well but now there is no use for it. But it would be an option if the fighting system is changed. Actually only the biggest number wins because a 5-unit-stack can do nearly the same damage as a 60-unit-stack.
But it could be useful to trap opponents in the first round.
So: don't know if I should support the suggestion or not....only my 5 cent :confused:

DeletedUser43

I know this idea has been supported quite a lot in the past, not only in this thread but also elsewhere on the forum. However, it contradicts a little bit with the fact that most players now find the battles too hard, even when they use the max amount of units per squad.

I'm wondering: would you still support this idea, or has it become unnecessary? :)

DeletedUser778

Sometimes when i have bait squads i know for sure they will die, it could save some troops if u could reduce the squad size, it's hard to foresee how much less is not too much less, but it could have saved me some troops in the past.
I think more options/tactic is always nice to have, so i support the idea, furthere more i would like to have the possibility to have 8 squads like the the enemy, what could be combined with this idea. I have a squad size of 96 right now, so 480 units max. on the battlefield.
It would be nice to choose if u want 5 x 96(or less) units squads , or are free to split the 480 units to 8 smaller squads.

DeletedUser

Sometimes when i have bait squads i know for sure they will die, it could save some troops if u could reduce the squad size, it's hard to foresee how much less is not too much less, but it could have saved me some troops in the past.
I think more options/tactic is always nice to have, so i support the idea, furthere more i would like to have the possibility to have 8 squads like the the enemy, what could be combined with this idea. I have a squad size of 96 right now, so 480 units max. on the battlefield.
It would be nice to choose if u want 5 x 96(or less) units squads , or are free to split the 480 units to 8 smaller squads.
Yes, of 4 x 120 (for you)

DeletedUser

On one hand dividing squads sounds like a very good idea but the difficulty of the fights is very hard currently. At this point in time with the difficulty of the fights I don't think this would be very practical or used much

DeletedUser205

number of squads should fit better to number of squads of enemies. as we can see, it's not the solution often to blow up your at most 5 squads with advaned squadsize. dividing squads to get some more could help and bring more fun because of more tactical possibilities

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1095

number of squads should fit better to number of squads of enemies. as we can see, it's not the solution often to blow up your at least 5 squads with advaned squadsize. dividing squads to get some more could help and bring more fun because of more tactical possibilities

I agree - more choice would be more fun and interesting. Variety is what the game lacks most at this point, in battles, buildings and quests. (NB: Introducing overpowered opponents too early doesn't count as variety! That's just a brick wall.)

DeletedUser43

Ok, so the ability to adjust the squad size would be interesting if there would be a possibility to use the same total number of units (and thus more than 5 squads)? :)

DeletedUser1095

Ok, so the ability to adjust the squad size would be interesting if there would be a possibility to use the same total number of units (and thus more than 5 squads)?

Yes indeed