• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Ads in the game?

Hazel Caballus

I’m seriously worried about the way Elvenar is taking. One reason why I’m playing this game for several years already is that it was free of adds. Many app games I tried were polluted with adds all over and I left those games as soon as I found out (which was pretty quick…).
If Inno starts to make watching adds obligatory (e.g. in order to enter certain game features like starting the tournament or going to the next level in the Spire) I will delete my cities, both on beta and live. And I will never again play a game developed by InnoGames.
Seriously, Inno, there must be other ways to make money than to pollute your game with advertisements. Why don’t you consider some well-thought-out suggestions from the player base like offering different city skins.

Brummbaer

In-game advertising
It would have been nice to have an announcement that some players have been selected to test a new FEATURE in-game.
To avoid stress, bad moods and other things, this FEATURE should be able to be switched on or off in the settings.
Thus, those who want to take the small gifts and also those who do not want to have advertising are satisfied.
This would be a WIN-WIN-WIN situation for all 3 sides (INNO, Pro's and Con's).

My Opinion

Agvar

Got into the videos through the App. Couldn't help laughing out loud when an Ad popped up saying "If you want to play without Ads delete your fake game!" :)

Last edited:

la lune

My dear fellow players of Elvenar,

the implemention of ads in the game has a serious impact on the game balance alltogether. Since those ads allow you to literally have anything you want at any time you want and as frequently as you want to, then why keep playing? You can revive as many troops as you like after a combat, you can rediciously increase the production of whatever good you want, you can gain as many KP for wonders and research as you like and so on and so on. So why wait for anything? Why produce troops, why produce goods? Why place numerous manufactories or the barracks in the first place, when you can have it all without trying? Players that literally don´t give a damn at all will run hundreds of those ad videos each day to provide anticly huge ammounts of ressources of all kinds for their cities, thus gaining an unfathomable anvantage towards players that don´t want to watch ads all the time, and so kicking the game completely off balance. And besides: do you know what clicking those ads actually means? INNO hasn´t posted any disclaimer about this which I find absolutely untrustworthy. I know from other games that by just clicking one of those buttons you legally bindingly accept that most of your personal data (and about your device, system etc.) will be transferred to third party companies. I ran one of those ads by accident by clicking on the wrong button after combat - I thought I still had a 50%-revival spell (there wasn´t even a security backup question!). I stopped it quickly but it was too late already.
Please, INNO, and everyone: Make this stop immediatelly! This is ruining the game completely, making the gameplay arbitrary and henceforth decrepit. INNO is making enough money with games like Elvenar as it is. This is just plain greed. I liked the game in the first place because it
didn´t come with annoying ads so far. And if the ads become the standard procedure (and heed my words: this is just the beginning, it will become FAR more volumetric around the entire gameplay if we don´t stop it now!) I definetely will stop playing and end all my fellowships (being archmage of four).
BTW: having to disable your adblock to actually SEE this discussion speaks volumes for itself.

Best regards from the moon

Earwen1

For Chrome I can recommend AdGuard.
Mainly because it allows the user to lift the ad filter for a single website with one right-click, even for one time use (like this time) and with the same ease put the filter back again.

GerdyaanB

In-game advertising
It would have been nice to have an announcement that some players have been selected to test a new FEATURE in-game.
To avoid stress, bad moods and other things, this FEATURE should be able to be switched on or off in the settings.
Thus, those who want to take the small gifts and also those who do not want to have advertising are satisfied.
This would be a WIN-WIN-WIN situation for all 3 sides (INNO, Pro's and Con's).

My Opinion
Why do you state so firm that just a few players are selected....what is your source of inside information...or are you guessing......as you know that there was no announcement.....the diamond issue was also never adressed by People who work for a living at inno...

I agree with everyone who has suggested that this should be an opt-in/opt-out “feature”. Having these advertisements pop up everywhere throughout the game is very irritating to those with
zero interest in viewing advertisements.

Along with all of the concerns raised above by others, I also suggest that it completely alters the atmosphere of the game, and will destroy the enjoyment that many players achieve from playing.

Perhaps another solution would be to place all advertisements in the shop/diamond purchase area - that way interested players can view them and gain rewards as much as they like, and others can easily ignore them?

Elderflower

And the 'Hobby Room' in the builders' hut, which boosts production of coins, supplies, and goods. Possibly boosts other productions - I have a chapter 3 city, so cannot see what else it might boost.

This for the EC-like drop:
View attachment 11367
Thank you for this. I keep seeing this message about visit me in the Hobby Room and had no idea what it was talking about or where to find the hobby room.
I have seen the advertising videos. Doesn't seem to be too much of a hassle. I don't have to watch them and if I do, I get something. So long as they aren't unpleasant I don't mind and it is another way of supporting the game.

Last edited:

qelf

L do have the adv option in research and hobby room but when I click "watch" noting happens.
I don't have an adblocker but might browser type make a difference?
(I use Frefox)

King Luckybaby

Conclusion

With app - the advertising is long
On the PC - it is very short
So I use the PC for that

Seasons
Login App
And now this
I get some rewards from everyone

Why not ?
I like it :)

Annelore

My dear fellow players of Elvenar,

the implemention of ads in the game has a serious impact on the game balance alltogether. Since those ads allow you to literally have anything you want at any time you want and as frequently as you want to, then why keep playing? You can revive as many troops as you like after a combat, you can rediciously increase the production of whatever good you want, you can gain as many KP for wonders and research as you like and so on and so on. So why wait for anything?
I saw in the news from beta that apparently the having ads are so good you barely need to play the game anymore. So, I came over of here and discovered your post basically making out that having ads makes the game so unbalanced because in your opinion which is false by the way that the ads are UNLIMITED.

In fact they are limited currently I know only two of the limits needed to create a new account here to get ads to see things for myself. Your only allowed 3 free kp per day and the builders hut new feature the hobby room is capped at 4 ads and 12 hours of boosts. That feature is the best one for new players allowing them to boost their goods enough to offset no tournament til chapter 4.

I'm a catering city so the troop ads I won't ever probably see. From the two ads on the city outskirts that I have done the rewards are similar to what mobile players have been able to get free from the shop once a day for awhile now. So nothing there that will unbalance the game.

la lune

I saw in the news from beta that apparently the having ads are so good you barely need to play the game anymore. So, I came over of here and discovered your post basically making out that having ads makes the game so unbalanced because in your opinion which is false by the way that the ads are UNLIMITED.

In fact they are limited currently I know only two of the limits needed to create a new account here to get ads to see things for myself. Your only allowed 3 free kp per day and the builders hut new feature the hobby room is capped at 4 ads and 12 hours of boosts. That feature is the best one for new players allowing them to boost their goods enough to offset no tournament til chapter 4.

I'm a catering city so the troop ads I won't ever probably see. From the two ads on the city outskirts that I have done the rewards are similar to what mobile players have been able to get free from the shop once a day for awhile now. So nothing there that will unbalance the game.
Hi Annelore (and everyone elso, too),

I must admit I hadn´t checked for a limit of the ads because I refrain from watching them. So I stand corrected here, there is a limit to how far you can influence the game with them. I also have to accept that to some players this way of "legal cheating" is a welcome way to boost one´s city. And you are right, for new players this is attractive - but only because INNO just recently altered the starting quests completely. So the "need" for this way around early game shortages has been aroused deliberately. Before you could join in the tournament right at the very beginning of the game, the spire opened with the start of chapter three.
Look, my major problem here is that like many other games Elvenar is being reduced to a data-dealing commercial platform. It more and more leaves behind its playing character and turns into the likes of Microsoft Casual Games. I fear that this is only the beginning of a very inconvenient progress that will harras especially the long-time players. It won´t be long now that you will have to watch a commercial (or at least the first five secconds of it) when starting the APP, or Ads running randomly after a certain ammount of game time (trust me, I have seen this happening on other game platforms, and it started there just like it does here now). Elvenar has truely been a free game. You always could buy dias for real money to push your city. Hand on heart: who didn´t purchase diamonds at least once or twice in the past eight years? I did, and I did several times. So I´d say, I paid the price for this otherwhise free game. Why bobard me with commercials now? This is uncalled for.
If I may make a suggestion: Torture only the players with ads that didn´t buy diamonds so far. And with the first purchase you get the option to switch them off or on. What does that sound like to you?

Best regards from the moon

Annelore

@la lune both of your posts in this thread have less to do with the ads themselves and more to do with your fear of being tracked on the internet.

I'm assuming will be more inclined to the alternative to the ads which would most likely be offers in pop-ups each time you login to the game. Those can get a annoying real fast.

FaunaWillow

I agree with everyone who has suggested that this should be an opt-in/opt-out “feature”

I fear that this is only the beginning of a very inconvenient progress that will harras especially the long-time players
I took a look at the Forge of Empires introduction to advertisements in-game that INNO started doing last year, and the updated announcement from March of this year.

-Firstly, there was upfront communication from the inhouse/staff about the a/b ad testing that was happening over there (something we did not see here, once again).
-and second, it states that those players can buy an expensive monthly pack to be able to ignore ads (something like +/-$30 a month). o_O
Perhaps another solution would be to place all advertisements in the shop/diamond purchase area - that way interested players can view them and gain rewards as much as they like, and others can easily ignore them?
This would be the best solution but I fear INNO has already decided on the course they will be taking with advertisements in-game and won't want to deter from their plans. :(

Once again, I don't know why they even have Beta servers anymore...or rather, why they have a Beta Forum. They simply do not care about player feedback.
I wholly miss the old Elvenar gaming experience. :( :( :(