• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion A Gateway into the Past

little bee

I have thought more about this event and I think most players are going about it the opposite of what Inno expected. I am sure everyone has seen the trashcan tray on the left of the playing field. I had to think about why anyone would ever need to discard a piece and I realized that Inno expected us to just pull as many pieces as we could from the 3 cups until the board was full and then, instead of combining pieces, we just delete unwanted combos and get a fresh batch every 30 minutes, only combining or discarding pieces when we get an offer we want, but don't have the exact pieces for. And now that the level 6 pieces only come from Lucky Draws, if you do not combine, having a full board before using any of them also means discarding or combining pieces to make room for any level 6 pieces you get. I am an impatient player when if comes to the events, but when this goes to Live, I am going to try and make as few combinations as possible, while filling the game board, and see how that works. Though with so many of the offers wanting level 6 pieces, and those no longer in the cups, I am not sure how well this method will work.
Why would this strategy have any effect? The only thing that should matter is choosing the right quests and deleting as few items as possible. So the only way that combining could ever be wrong, is if you never get a quest for that high lv. item again. But since the "good" quests ask for a lot of lv. 5 and lv. 6 items that should never happen.

Skillpowers

With 8 days to go I would be extremely lucky if I get up to 200 points.
I am now at 179, so I don't believe in this event any more.
on my life server I would advice members to just ignore this event, just because how crappy it was thought trough.
im at 248 , lost my gold status in league table quickly after the update you can no longer recieve the highest item from cups and from 5 to 4 pieces per item

Jammin

I don't even try to combine items/pull them from cups until I get an offer I want to fulfill (or it would be hard to discard bad offers). Got full set when there were 10 days of event to go without spending a single dime.
I'm not as fast as you, but overall my plan worked out.
I'm so unlucky with the joker cards that I could bite the edge of the table.
Even though I only take the recipes with the 14%-20% chance of getting the joker, I hardly got any.
Unfortunately, the problem is that I'm in chapter 7 and can't take the set far with me anyway because of the few RR in the game.
On my world in Fely, I won't even deploy the set because it doesn't suit my playstyle.
I mean, if there was a set that only produced troops and scaled with the researched troop size expansion, that would be different.
A set that produces goods I'm already swimming in and a few troops that don't scare anyone is of no use to me.

The best set is still the library, although it doesn't produce any troops, its traits make it an important part of my economy.

Earwen1

260!!!
At the very last day I managed to get the 260 gems needed for the set..
And without buying anything, it takes to pick up every single coin in the field, not miss a single day of play.

This is too hard, for all of us who have a life to live and people to take care of and all the other things that make life worth living.
I really hope there will be some tweaks before it enters the live servers: daily coins to 30 in stead of 20 and drop some more around the city to pick up. It will make more players happy, not frustrated.

Edit: I didn't take the leagues in consideration, as I do not care about that. Just checked and have bronze.

Alcaro

I got the whole set without buying extra currency. I went only for the requests giving most gems (3 or 4) and highest % for Lucky Draw.
I got those cards several times and I was lucky enough to get "free" currency from them. Eventually I got the (ugly) portrait, the 2nd Gates of Dawn and only now I bought 60 chips to reach the Gold League.
I can't say how it goes for dailies cuz I don't need anything right now and didn't aim for any prize in particular, so I played for the fun of it.

I realize now (from reading other's posts) that I was lucky to get those Lucky Draws > free chips.
With the first setup of 5 chips/ draw, I am pretty sure I wouldn't get the set, never mind the portrait and another set building.
I think 20 chips/ day are too low. It should be 30 and keep 4 for a draw.
I do not like that 6th tier items were removed from the list of possible draws.

Edit - I have to add that discarding the unwanted offers as soon they appear might have help. I've learned it by completing one by mistake and realizing that once completed, you have to take it.

Last edited:

Verde

Managed the full set (squeaked it in on the last day) but will probably never place it as not seeing much value.

Although it's good to see a new option trialled, personally found it too expensive and definitely far too time-consuming. Also not easy to play on App with phone screen.

Will be suggesting to my Live server contacts that they may want to consider skipping this event.

Dorfl the Clay

Although it's good to see a new option trialled, personally found it too expensive
I totally agree and hope the dev's will take all the comments on this subject serious and make it a bit easier on 'live'!
Will be suggesting to my Live server contacts that they may want to consider skipping this event.
If the difficulty/expense stays the same, I will be sharing the same advice to my fellow players..

Karvest

Seems ~15% of players got full set.
1659084819993.png

guivou

had to use diamonds, needed 76 dwarfen chips to complete the set (spend all before change from 5 to 4 ) , on live i guess it can be possible to have full set BUT the rewards were the poorest i have ever seen : to win the set , one of the best combination give broken shard (so no win at all )

Niyara

To win the set completely, you just had to do one thing: choose the tasks with the highest probability of getting the lucky draw. Just throw away the others and wait 30 minutes. With a little luck you will get the lucky draw. I ended up with 308 points without using any diamonds.

Laurelin-Beta

Does anyone have a maths-capable (I am not) idea about how much difference it will make removing the Stage 6 items from the Cups from the start rather than part-way through the Event? Always assuming that the same version of this Event goes to Live, of course. I could hardly get anywhere, being in Ch.III on Beta, and I'm interested in whether it's worth trying hard to collect City-spawned Event Currency and so on, on Live?

Killy

Does anyone have a maths-capable (I am not) idea about how much difference it will make removing the Stage 6 items from the Cups from the start rather than part-way through the Event? Always assuming that the same version of this Event goes to Live, of course. I could hardly get anywhere, being in Ch.III on Beta, and I'm interested in whether it's worth trying hard to collect City-spawned Event Currency and so on, on Live?
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/a-gateway-into-the-past.17829/post-108747 or the post after from @Karvest if you like those numbers more. I hope that is what you are searching for?

ekarat

Bor de Wolf 1965

The way how I look at the events is as follow.
If you do all the quests, collect all the EC around your town and you play it smart, you should always be able to get the 260 points for a full set or level 10 evolving building.
This time luck played a very big part in the event so we got a very big differance in players who didn't make it and players that crushed the game.
Kravest with 382 points was one of the extremly lucky players.
For me, this event left a little bad taste behind.

Laurelin-Beta

@Killy @ekarat @Bor de Wolf 1965 : Thank you! Much appreciated. And sorry I'd actually forgotten that the answer to my question, near enough, appears earlier in this thread anyway - many thanks to Killy for reminding me - I can be rather forgetful!

My follow-on question [not well stated in my post above] was going to be : what's the likelihood of getting a full Set on Live (It seems unlikely that anyone will win many Dailies via strategy vs simple luck, due to how the Event works, inc. best practice of avoiding low-value Quests)? - but again, many thanks to Bor de Wolf for answering that, too. And ekarat - I'm always grateful for your maths ability - wish I had some of my own! :D

Laurelin-Beta

@Dorfl the Clay @Lovec Krys : Yes... I agree... and may I add : Inno's decision to start awarding 'extra' Event Currency (additional to the guaranteed total sum earned by diligent play) by adding, via the Lucky Draws, yet another layer of RNG to the already-RNG-controlled 'three chests' system will make even the most mathematically sound pre-Event and/or ongoing strategies much more difficult to compile and less reliable in their predictions, and will also [obviously] emphasise and encourage the most obvious alternative option of simply buying extra Currency.

I myself have no interest in the Leagues as they stand, since I'm not competitive, I don't want any of the avatars I've yet seen, and I don't usually need any of the more 'tangible' rewards in most cases (NB: gaining +1 Witch Hut base plus some extra Artifacts is the sole exception to this) - but I'd imagine that this change won't be very popular with quite a lot of the players who don't habitually pay to play, and instead put in a lot of effort - and hope for RNG assistance - in order to place well in the Leagues. Of course, those players who are happy to pay for Events will probably very much approve... but as they say : each to his own...!

And while I'm not surprised by this move, I do find it disappointing - especially because this Event, of all Event formats, is my new favourite type - and I am very happy, also, to see the return of less-mobile-friendly and more 'traditional' PC-style graphics, even including the re-use of some of the game's Chapter-level Dwarven characters - if my very limited experience of the Event (my Ch.III City could get almost nowhere) is any guide.

So - Well done to the artists... I even like the Event splash screen - it's very charismatic and fun! - and that's not often the case.

As might (?) be apparent, I am at least *trying* to alter my typical habits, and to look on the bright side, this time...! Haha.

Phall

I did not have to use the trash can for game pieces. I had my pieces organized by level in 3 columns. I found that it was a very slow timing event. I had to wait for the offers that made sense dependent upon the pieces I had out. I deleted many offers. I did get the set in my Beta city (S & D chapter) and in my live world that is done with chapter 19 without using diamonds or buying a stash house.

It was harder to get daily prize buildings and I found that significantly reduced in both cities. That was disappointing for sure.

I did enjoy the game. The slow pace was very reminiscent of playing a board game. I was engaged in the story (which could have had more 'clues' concerning which were the better offers.) And, I am still wondering which piece was the riftmaker? LOL!

A suggestion; if the avatar is going to be a person, please have the option of choosing a male or female avatar. King Heropi or Thalita would have been more appropriate. Women play the game as well.....

Attachments

• Gameboard 1.jpg
    Gameboard 1.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited: