• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Tournament Changes (post-release)

DeletedUser3314

Hi everyone,

A small head's up already:

We will be bringing a change to the next Tournament's (tomorrow's) fighting difficulty, especially on higher provinces (16+; or 15 with more than one star completed already), but already starting with some minor adjustments at province 8 (or 7 with more than one star completed).
What change, make it even more difficult or easier ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Karvest

Guess we should wait for Dony's stats, his expiring buildings for this tourney are already placed, so we'll see it soon.

edeba

Changing difficulty doesn't affect main issue - SS formula that discourage advancing the city...
True, we are dealing with two problems, but I do think changing the difficult is an important step. It is simply way too steep. If we saw a change where they change it so the difficult increases by say 2% from that province 16 instead of the 5%, well, that would be a good change...

Heymrdiedier

True, we are dealing with two problems, but I do think changing the difficult is an important step. It is simply way too steep. If we saw a change where they change it so the difficult increases by say 2% from that province 16 instead of the 5%, well, that would be a good change...
Think we have a trust issue with inno by now :D
This is what i heard in BS chat: expect something like this: 2% easier in prov 1-8, prov 9-16 0.15% easier, prov 16+ 5% harder...
(This is not factual, but what people think it will be judging from previous changes)

Lovec Krys

Changing difficulty doesn't affect main issue - SS formula that discourage advancing the city...
btw, difficulty is changed in what direction?
It would be funny if they actualy made it even harder.

But I expect some minor or cosmetic changes, so our armies will be wiped out 2 provinces later compared to the last week and our overall losses will be 5% lower or something like this.

The core issue (penalties for advancing city, placing(and buying) expansions, and leveling AWs) will be dealt with later (my guess is around chapter 20 when it will probably become so hard for end game cities that those, who could score 10K+ regularly in the old system will probably have problems to score 2K then))

edeba

Think we have a trust issue with inno by now :D
This is what i heard in BS chat: expect something like this: 2% easier in prov 1-8, prov 9-16 0.15% easier, prov 16+ 5% harder...
(This is not factual, but what people think it will be judging from previous changes)
Lol... Ok, that is funny, but unfortunately, it is a good metaphor for what actually happens when we are told something is going to get better...

Pauly7

We will be bringing a change to the next Tournament's (tomorrow's) fighting difficulty, especially on higher provinces (16+; or 15 with more than one star completed already), but already starting with some minor adjustments at province 8 (or 7 with more than one star completed).
Not much info here as to what type of change. I agree with @Karvest though. I don't think minor tweaks to the difficulty (up or down?) will do much for anyone, so long as they are sticking with the broken formula. Personally I don't mind how hard it is right now. I just don't want to play a game where progress is punished.

SoggyShorts

Hi everyone,

Have you considered posting the details? I mean between @Dony, @Karvest, and @MinMax Gamer you know it will be figured out anyway so how about saving a couple of days and dozens of wasted posts where players are saying "I feel like nothing changed"

SoggyShorts

Changing difficulty doesn't affect main issue - SS formula that discourage advancing the city
This is the most important feedback IMO.
I left for a year because (among other reasons) there was probably 100 days until the next chapter release allowing me to advance my city other than KP dumps into wonders.

The formula for advancement was always VERY simple:
"SS goes up with this tech, increasing losses, BUT training time gets faster with this barracks tech"
and where the SS increase hurt more than the barracks increase helped, you could beef up some wonders, or clear the world map for more expansions to increase goods production on, etc.

Now everything has a downside and the statement that "Every advancement will help more than it hurts" is objectively and mathematically proven to be untrue.

This is causing far too many players to decide not to advance through the tech tree anymore.
How long do you think those players will keep playing without the feeling of something new to work towards?

Deleted User - 87976

Hi everyone,

So does this means that the main issue with the current system won't be addressed? Because otherwise it's rather pointless to make cosmetic adjustments here and there if you are planning to remake the tournament formula and start balancing from scratch.

Pauly7

This is causing far too many players to decide not to advance through the tech tree anymore.
How long do you think those players will keep playing without the feeling of something new to work towards?
Quite. Exactly this.

There's only a certain amount of time that my interest will be held stuck in the same spot along the tech tree, scared to go further. Events that offer rewards less useful than the previous and the only thing to keep me going is trying to figure out if I can still upgrade a few Ancient Wonders whilst still maintaining the same tournament scores.

All this while there has been very little, if any, response from the developers regarding the main problems with this system.

ErestorX

The core issue (penalties for advancing city, placing(and buying) expansions, and leveling AWs) will be dealt with later (my guess is around chapter 20 when it will probably become so hard for end game cities that those, who could score 10K+ regularly in the old system will probably have problems to score 2K then))

Actually it is theoretically possible that Inno comes up with some new cool techs for the next chapters and a complete rework of all wonders to deal with the problem of the broken SS formular. But if that should be the plan they should communicate it ASAP!

Maillie

All this while there has been very little, if any, response from the developers regarding the main problems with this system.
I'm not sure the developers see anything wrong with this system. They may very well see this as "working as intended", hence a minor tweak here and there. I do believe they might see it when they present Chapter 17 and people don't dare to go there. If they're slaughtered in 16 why would they leap into 17 for exponentially more abuse? That may well be when we actually hear from them.

edeba

Quite. Exactly this.

There's only a certain amount of time that my interest will be held stuck in the same spot along the tech tree, scared to go further. Events that offer rewards less useful than the previous and the only thing to keep me going is trying to figure out if I can still upgrade a few Ancient Wonders whilst still maintaining the same tournament scores.

I can really see that if advancing through the chapter is important to your game, this would be a main issue. I've been content to not advance on beta and after what I saw chapter 16 did to the spire, I have very little interest in chapter 17 on the live server, but to me it really is a combination problem, the new tournament has an enormous and unreasonable increase in difficulty and then the main reason of a lack of interest in progressing is because of that hard hitting formula. It is extremely massive repeat hits on the stronger players. I think my suggestion about only using the higher of the two AW in each tech would go a long way towards fixing the formula.

Once upon a time there was a game with a new concept, call a tournament. It was a highly ignore game function, with enormous difficulty and game resources to gain any benefit, to the point that it was largely rejected by the players. There were also these weak and unworthy of the space they required AWs that many players also did not engage in leveling.

But through thoughtful change addressing the problems, a new tournament concept was born and became an important game staple, and the AWs were revamped to make them worth the space and worth the effort to level, and together these led to both a popular tournament and leveling AWs to be a popular activity.

But then, elvenar was invaded by the essences of the evil wolf from little red riding hood, the vain queen who set out to kill snow white for her beauty, the evil witch that ate children from Hansel and Gretel, all packed into a Krampus character taking over the emperor of elvenar who was jealous of popularity and intent on destroying all that was popular, and with that, the evil Krampus dressed as an elvenar emperor studied what had caused such a lack of popularity in the beginning and set out to restore such a state.

So he gathered large armies and sprang forth to kill the armies without mercy where the path to the tournament had been safe and well traveled, and he applied a curse on any and all improvements that the subjects of elvenar had embraced to improve their settlements, and destroyed the public works that would look after the settlements, leaving them at risk for ruin and stagnation.

And when the black plan was finished, he emerged and made promise to improve the lot, hiding the goal and knowledge that the forces that had caused stagnation in the tournament and ancient wonders had once again been set forth to triumph.

And so the story goes...

Maillie

Actually it is theoretically possible that Inno comes up with some new cool techs for the next chapters and a complete rework of all wonders to deal with the problem of the broken SS formula. But if that should be the plan they should communicate it ASAP!
This could be true, but we would have to get penalized for the research to get to those cool techs. I am thinking it will be more like when they yanked all of the population out of the event buildings, leaving a massive number of small cities with a huge negative in population, but they were going to come up with a way to upgrade event buildings. I think we waited something like 2 years or so before we got the RR spells.

I guess you could call me cynical, but I have to doubt that anything that cool would come up so soon.

Enevhar Aldarion

"16" is high? Do I live in a different universe?

To a lot of new players and early chapter cities, yes. My Beta city is close to finishing chapter 6 and I am about to complete the final province I need to unlock chapter 7 and I do not have 16 tournaments provinces available yet in any of the 9 tournaments. So that means that anyone completing only what the game says is the needed number of provinces to advance chapters, someone who is not over-scouting will not even see province 16+ until they are into chapter 7.

It has been suggested more than once in this thread that how deep you can go in a tournament be based on what chapter your city is in. Maybe that needs to be looked at again. If it takes being in chapter 7 to get further than province 15, I wonder what it is for the other chapters when only completing the minimum needed to advance chapters.

Aeva

So that means that anyone completing only what the game says is the needed number of provinces to advance chapters, someone who is not over-scouting will not even see province 16+ until they are into chapter 7.
I doubt that. I am on beta in the early stages of chapter 7 and I certainly have 17 provinces for almost every tournament. And I am very carefull not to overscout, never go further than yellow difficulty. And I have a pretty decent score as an average for every tournamant. No funny stuff going on either.

Enevhar Aldarion

I doubt that. I am on beta in the early stages of chapter 7 and I certainly have 17 provinces for almost every tournament. And I am very carefull not to overscout, never go further than yellow difficulty. And I have a pretty decent score as an average for every tournamant. No funny stuff going on either.

Well, if you explore in an odd direction, instead of doing one ring at a time, you will get some relic types with higher numbers. Plus, all 9 boosts do not earn all 9 types of provinces equally. There will be variation between people because of that. I only had 14 Dust provinces available last week and I am at the 130 provinces needed to open chapter 7, but I still have several provinces to do in the ring I am working on, including a few more dust, so I could have had 16+ dust at the expense of the other types. But any point in the game where the number of provinces needed does not equal the completion of a ring, there will be variation. Based on this, there is no way for someone not over-scouting to have 16+ provinces available in all 9 types at the start of chapter 7.