• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Tournament Changes (post-release)

Deleted User - 81190

How on earth does inno expect us to ever lvl a decent amount of wonders which a change like this?
Diamonds?

Or here is a new minmax (c) metagame strategy that this change will promote:

- Can't get meaningful amounts of KPs with your advanced, developed city because difficulty ramp up is too high for going deep?
- But they - allegedly - made things even easier for small cities? Cheap catering, easy fighting, fast (few clicks)? All this for going wide?
- So, if you make a whole bunch of extra small cities
- Develop them to chapter 2-4
- Unlock a few provinces to, say 6+ provinces for each tournament
- For bonus points, put them all in a separate FS to rake extra team rewards
- ???
- Profit!

You know how this story goes. I predict a lot more of this strategy being deployed in the near future.

Heymrdiedier

Diamonds?

Or here is a new minmax (c) metagame strategy that this change will promote:

- Can't get meaningful amounts of KPs with your advanced, developed city because difficulty ramp up is too high for going deep?
- But they - allegedly - made things even easier for small cities? Cheap catering, easy fighting, fast (few clicks)? All this for going wide?
- So, if you make a whole bunch of extra small cities
- Develop them to chapter 2-4
- Unlock a few provinces to, say 6+ provinces for each tournament
- For bonus points, put them all in a separate FS to rake extra team rewards
- ???
- Profit!

You know how this story goes. I predict a lot more of this strategy being deployed in the near future.
I'm very sceptical that this will lead to more profit to innogames on the long term. If you enrage your player over and over, they just end up quitting?
Even if the quitters are the players who never spend a buck on this game then even then it has its impact. The big spenders are only big spenders because there is competition and if it looks like others might catch up to them, then they will spend more. If the non spenders can not ever come close to ranking points then what the big spenders are doing, then the big spenders will eventually quit aswell since theres no fun in being rich if you cant show it off :)

And i don't think i'm making this up in my mind, if i look at the scores of the top 10 on beta where there is no competition, compared to the scores of the top 10 on the live servers (who have reached endgame already) i see quite a big gap in points.

Deleted User - 81190

If you enrage your player over and over, they just end up quitting?
I hear this sentiment every time some allegedly adverse change is being made. There was Spire before, there were event changes etc. Number of people claimed that they will quit, a whole bunch of other people will quit etc. And most if not all those people are still around. It's a cry wolf story.

I think Inno just learned to ignore all this. They know that there will be an initial outcry, then some minor concession from the developers, then everything settles down again. This has happened before, why bother making any sudden movements. You can bet that if there would be actual material impact to Inno's revenues due to any change they themselves made, it will be reverted/reworked in an instant.

DeletedUser3314

The way I understand it is you take the amounts of goods for the four encounters in the old system, add them together, and then divide that in half to supposedly get the amounts for the new system. But I have not catered anything so far in my chapter 4 city. I keep forgetting to even look at the amounts, since I have completed the first two stars of the eight provinces I have available by auto-fighting.
I did add them together :) Old system, cater cost remains the same for province 1&2, new system cost increase by 55,5%. :(

DeletedUser3289

@Marindor here’s a suggestion. Instead of tying the costs to each completed tech, why not tie the costs only to the barrack/nerf camp/tg upgrade techs.
This can help gamers offset the exponential costs with the building upgrades.

CrazyWizard

I hear this sentiment every time some allegedly adverse change is being made. There was Spire before, there were event changes etc. Number of people claimed that they will quit, a whole bunch of other people will quit etc. And most if not all those people are still around. It's a cry wolf story.

I think Inno just learned to ignore all this. They know that there will be an initial outcry, then some minor concession from the developers, then everything settles down again. This has happened before, why bother making any sudden movements. You can bet that if there would be actual material impact to Inno's revenues due to any change they themselves made, it will be reverted/reworked in an instant.

I don't know how stuff is in your live world, but in my world we see a decline in players for a while now.
They opened up a second server, but that was not because our world was full,
We have a shamefull 6000 players with a score over 500 in winyandor
On arendyll there ar still 23000 players left.
And many of those are off course multi accounts so the real playerbase is way way way lower.

We want to see elvenar thrive, not die so moves that make big changes in the playerbase are unwanted as we prefer to keep all we still have.
We like to see the playerbase to rise again. but under current conditions I don't see that happen in the foreseeable future.

DeletedUser3289

I am ok with binding it to the tech (and tech only), using all techs makes sure the rise is gradual and not with big jumps.
True. But this will allow safe progress and intermittent parking. And the big jumps are offset(at least mildly, who knows) by the upgrades.
absolute stagnation will lead to boredom.

Trust me. I’m not able to make my finger hit the “activate now” button on the next tech in my end chapter city.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marindor

I might misunderstand that announcement but for me it seems that you completely removed any squad upgrade from the formula, how can that be an improvement ???

It's about this part of the announcement:

To achieve this, we will rework the way the costs in Tournaments are calculated. Up until now, they were directly linked to your Squad Size, meaning that any Squad Size Upgrade technology, both the mandatory and optional ones, would result in higher costs. This will be abolished and instead we will base the costs on a series of progression factors, which involve city development and researches in general. However, one key difference is that we want to ensure that every progression factor will still bring you more in benefits, than it would "cost" you in terms of added costs in the Tournaments. This means that, while the progression in the Tournaments becomes more costly as your city grows over time, the increase is nowhere near the amount of resources the progressed city will be able to produce extra thanks to the progress made.

So previously they indeed had a negative impact when researched. That's not the case anymore. Researching them now gives you a benefit instead of a downside.

chris0707070707

As explained in this announcement, that's one of the improvements we made with the changes indeed.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have found nothing in that announcement saying optional squad upgrades will give us any advantage. From what I understood, they should be ineffective.

EDIT:
Ok, I read the answer above. So players who did everything right so far (avoiding optional SSU) will be in a worse position now than those, who made some mistakes in the past ?

Marindor

as you answer Marindor(tks for this), is it normal that the extensions i bought with diamonds are against my progress in tournaments ? don't think so

At the moment they do indeed have a minor impact, though less than province and research expansions, yes. However, as said: We're forwarding all the feedback for consideration, so changes might always be possible if that turns out to be necessary. I don't have any specific info on that yet.

Enevhar Aldarion

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have found nothing in that announcement saying optional squad upgrades will give us any advantage. From what I understood, they should be ineffective.

That part means that you can now do all the optional ones and the world map fights will be easier because you will have bigger squads, but the enemies won't.

meadle

J'aime le croire mais j'ai validé depuis le début toute la technologie, et malgré tout je me retrouve avec des tournois beaucoup plus difficiles, si ce que tu dis est vrai je ne le comprends pas.