• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Play with zero residences?

SoggyShorts

The Venar's III and spire prizes has got me thinking about a zero residence build...
I won 8 of them which is more than enough to replace all of my houses. They give 410 pop per square so they won't be replaced by non-magic residences for at least a year, maybe 2.
The only loss is coins, but what are they for? 90% of my production is from sets, and I've scouted to max expansions, so coins are basically just KP. I'd lose 4.3m coins per day which is under 3 KP.

If I used 6 to replace 14 res I'd gain almost 4 and a half expansions. Is that worth 3 KP per day?

I get
24 from hours
10 from set
10 from carts/ferris/monuments
19 from FS tournament reward(135/7)
20 from tournament (140/7)
5 from coins
2 from ToS
---

So if I'm getting 90 Kp per day does losing 3 KP matter?

Looking at it another way:
Lose 3.3% of my KP but gain 4% more space.

The other half of the idea is that coin instants would no longer be useless.

DeletedUser

Not a bad idea...I just got a Glossy Garden, and I got 2 Venar's Rocks III. That's 1220 total population and culture, so I think I'll give your idea a try.

DeletedUser1681

This game has a lot to do with optimization and that sounds like a plan.

My first and foremost thought however was that this is also a game where the developers keep "balancing" things... just a year ago ppl went into negative population because of one such act, also they've been balancing rewards before event ends. I'm gone a bit paranoid about that side of the game.

SoggyShorts

My first and foremost thought however was that this is also a game where the developers keep "balancing" things... just a year ago ppl went into negative population because of one such act, also they've been balancing rewards before event ends. I'm gone a bit paranoid about that side of the game.
Ah yes, "the great nerfing" could happen again. Having pretty much nothing but rainbow uni/cages and venar's 3 for pop would certainly leave me exposed.. Still what's life without a little risk, eh? (he says before rage quitting when VR3 gets nerfed)

Heymrdiedier

similar topic is on us forums from a while ago.
Be carefull for storyline quests that are in each chapter that ask for have xx houses/workshops at lvl yyy.
If you managed to have some magic residences (maybe from spire) then you are safe since those count aswell.
But absolutely none, i wouldnt do. PS i also go for minimum of houses/workshops

DeletedUser2713

In my city on the French server I chose the option to play without residence since the last event (and the 23 phoenix Cult I won)

I know this is a risky choice because building statistics can change at any time (it has happened) but it is so profitable that I couldn’t help myself.;)

Concerning coin winnings I have no worries because I buy by visiting all my neighbors

edeba

These buildings already existed through the GREAT NERF that left so many players in negative population, so they've already made it through a screening.

DeletedUser1739

I have a player in one of my brotherhoods that has only population and culture buildings in his city. He deleted all residences.

Now he is praying that the buildings in question should not be downcast and that at the next event there will be a better building.

Finally all this to say, that it is quite feasible to play without residence.

DeletedUser2576

I play with 0 residences and have no problem at all.

Angeduciel

@SoggyShorts , I think your plan is doable in terms of having enough population on the long term, and enough coins to upgrade your buildings as needed and unlock future technologies. You have a good margin on your mountain hall & golden abyss level to give you more pop & coins, you can also use coin rains and visit neighbors if needed. You might get stuck doing the story quests though as already mentionned above. I am planning to cut down on residences too, but want to keep 10 of them as a minimum.

DeletedUser2818

It's one of those things that while theoretically possible, I'm very scared to do because of... mostly irrational fears really. My GA is level 30 and that's quite a bit of money, plus visiting all of my discovered neighbours gives me exactly 51% of my total gold reserve (though it's boring and takes some time even with the app).
Coin rains are abundant, that's for sure, but they're also my favorite disenchanting fodder, so I wouldn't know about that. Sets alone wouldn't give me anything worthwhile though, that much is fore sure, though the GA alone gives 2050K / 3h which is plenty. It's an attractive thing to consider, but I fear nerfs, questlines, and generally speaking quality of life. I think they should give us more useful ways to spend coin, instead of making even magic residences worth less pop than some buildings per tile and then possibly resorting to nerf.
P.s. in hindsight I kind of like the wholesaler. Even with a low level BTG it can give quite a bit of extra resources per day. Of course it's way more space efficient to have manufactories instead, but I wonder what a level 30 BTG could do.
In the end though I think my main reason to keep residences is that I payed for them, and I'm gonna delete the last non-magic one I have. Surely enough, I hope Inno decides to buff magic residences instead of nerfing event buildings, because that felt (and would feel) very unfair, to paying and free players alike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lovec Krys

Well, it's an interesting idea, but I'll rather collect coins from houses instead of doing neighbour help (my maximum for these times is 1x per week (only in my main city and only for my FS, on beta I don't do it unless I need to do it for event quests).
My personal opinion is the opposite. I'd rather play without pop/cult hybrids than without residences.

DeletedUser607

I'm currently at 8 residencies (5 regular + 3 magic), aswell as 6 workshops (5+1m).

I have 3 manufactories of every boosted good + 1 of every sentient good).

currently, I am at 28k pop plus, and that can be improved.

I could delete all of them, it would hurt with the magic ones... but I could do it.

In the past, there was the question about could we do an AW-powered city. well, that has transformed to the question, if we could run a event building driven city.

So, in theory, the only buildings we can't delete are mainhall, barracks, trader, magic academy and builder.

Troops: barracks + orc-strategists + valorian valor + AWs
Coins: set buidlings, NBH, GA, some others.
Supplies: set buildings, NBH, EEx, PT, ToS, some others.
Goods: set buildings, NBH (CL), productions
PoP: event buildings, GA, MH
orcs, mana, seeds: there are event buildings and AWs for everything...

So, totally doable, especially, if things get spiced up with the spells from tournaments.

By the way, I am drowning in culture. without NBH, I am at least 100k above what is necessary for 170%. But that may be caused by the wishing wells...

EDIT: oh, and regarding the Chapters: as you all know, quests turn to declinable once the next chapter is reached. This means, that the residence-less approach forces players to lag one chapter behind... in terms of quests.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'm voting for homeless shelter event buildings for people without residences. Poor citizens. Lots of rubble now no homes.

Maillie

The Crystal Lighthouse comes to mind right away. People decided that they made enough goods from visits that they could demolish their goods manufacturies and just use the Crystal Lighthouse, doing large scale visiting. The devs did not intend for that to happen, and now the CL is worth very little in comparison. I have to believe that the same thing will happen here, since culture buildings are not intended to replace the buildings that are part of the game.

Potvorisko

i am lowering numbers of my residences since woodelves, now, i have last 5 left and I gues, I will put them down really soon. If they change somenthing, I will build them again, that is no problem. However, devs have alredy balanced all the buildings and still, they let us win all this top pop-kulture. So, eather they add some new function to residences, or they loose the purpose. I have plenty of coins from my golden abyss (lvl 24) + set buildings, so I dont worry about my finances :)