• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Changes in Beta update process

Marindor

Dear Humans and Elves,

From game version 1.24 onwards, we will change the way we do our game updates on Beta. Please see the full details here. Our goal with this is to be able to fix bugs quicker, forward your feedback more quickly and being able to process it better, give you more time for testing and commenting on new game content and to improve the overall quality of our live game versions. If you have any thoughts/comments on this that you want to share with us, please do so here :)

Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Beta Team

Dony

King of Bugs
I like it a lot, this can improve the game faster then now, lets hope even on forums we will see more responses to our feedback tho.

CrazyWizard

Thank you very much, I think we have asked for this when I started playing, and you made it even better with daily updated.

I only wonder how people who spend there money here will response to this, I have always found it strange to pay on a test server.

DeletedUser1665

Works for me since the updates take place at 2AM my time I'll never have to worry about it happening while I'm playing :)

lika1961

I'm cautiously optimistic since it seems very positive to not wait so long for bugs to be fixed. It is also encouraging that Beta will become more like (if you'll pardon the pun) a Beta server. It will be interesting to see the effects of this change.

Sir Squirrel

Sounds like a great idea, this should help make the live game better, and beta testers be able to find the bugs faster I think, at least faster than before anyway. Thanks for all your work on making this happen! I look forward to seeing how this will work.

CrazyWizard

I don't think I really get your question. Why would that be any different from now?

Because Innogames has stated plenty of times that this server is NOT a test server, but a pre release server.
Now that it's about to become a test server, it's only a matter of time before it's one big bug fest.

Thats ok for a test server, thats why they exist, but some people might be offended because they invested real life money in a game not to be guinea pigs.
since the claim untill today was always that this is NOT a test server.

Marindor

@CrazyWizard : I don't know where the confusion comes from for you, but the purpose of Beta is the same as it was. We will just get daily updates instead of once every 2 weeks with eventual hotfixes in between, so we can react more quickly :)

DeletedUser1590

There are two sides to this. The question obviously is directed at the players, how they feel about daily updates.

As far as I'm concerned this is a beta-server. We are here to test the code. I will not (as in never) invest money into a beta-server (it makes no difference if Innogames calls it a test or pre-release server for me it is a beta-server). Thus I can't test any features which require real money to be paid. If other players are prepared to test and pay money, that is their choice. However only time will tell if enough players are active enough to report and monitor bugs and changes on a daily basis.
But if requirements for this beta-server are daily activity and daily feedback, I can live with that.

The other side of the coin however is to look at these changes from the viewpoint of the developers. In future they'll be asked to submit their patches and bug-fixes daily instead of weekly. These daily deadlines will put them under a lot of pressure and result in ugly error-prone code.

Since I prefer a stable game to a unstable buggy game that introduces new features at a rapid rate, I'm against these daily updates. Give your developers time to fix bugs, to write clean code, to come up with new ideas and to improve their code, that makes a lot more sense.

Just my two cents .. but since it appears that the decision has already been made .. I guess this will be of of no interest to anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackluyt

I think this is a good idea.
What no one has mentioned though, is whether and where and how there will be a weekly / two weekly summary of each daily update.
I pass on news to the Live World of what happens on Beta - and I cannot do that every day!

1. Is the plan to change the version 'subdecimal' every day? (1.23.1, 1.23.2, 1.23.316 etc)
And then change the 'decimal' every few weeks when there is a major change? (1.23; 1.25, 1.36)
If so will you give us a summary of which changes each 'decimal' included?

2. Will Live World have 2 weekly updates in future?

Thanks!
J

Marindor

Live versions will still update every 2 weeks, unless more time is needed (in which case updates can be postponed). On Beta we will post a new post in the Release Notes of the game version it is about, every day when changes have been made. At the end of that thread, when the thread for the new version is started, you could call it a "summary" of the changes in that version but things will change here compared to before, since we will now implement new features on Beta as soon as they're ready and this can mean that this will be in a different version than on Live, to allow us more time for testing and for processing the feedback. This means that a 1.25 version on Beta can include content that will not yet be in 1.25 on Live, for example. The Live versions will post their Release Notes on their own forums, a few days before the update takes place there.

DeletedUser1526

Take all time you need just don't bring rubish updates and so many bugs on live servers please.

Dony

King of Bugs
is there a plan that all hotfixes from beta during a week will be applied to live servers at least once per week? because event on live server has all the bugs which were fixed here on the beta already

Marindor

is there a plan that all hotfixes from beta during a week will be applied to live servers at least once per week? because event on live server has all the bugs which were fixed here on the beta already

Only when it's necessary. We have indeed planned a hotfix on Live tomorrow :)

Dony

King of Bugs
Can the process with all daily fixes and compiling those fixes for live be looked at? Somehow some bugs which were fixed here on beta 1 week ago got to like servers and wasnt fixed even after today's hotfixes, so there is a chance some versions got mishmash and this has happened with all live server updates after this change was introduced.
1 example for all is https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/inde...er-rating-wrong-different-image-of-unit.7792/
this can not be reproduced here on beta anymore (question mark and wrong image), but its on live servers everywhere

because we are happy that we find bugs here and fix them before going to live, but then somehow they end on live servers anyway so something is wrong somewhere

Sir Squirrel

I totally agree with Dony on this, it is frustrating when we report a bug here and it gets fixed, but then the same bug shows up on live! That is what we are here to try and prevent, but it seems like only major bugs get priority and a lot of others just get overlooked. I was hoping that getting updates as they came out would get us a little further ahead of live so the Dev's would have more time for fixes and have less bugs get to live, but I am still seeing a lot of the same bugs over there.

DeletedUser1748

Is the new process being re-evaluated in the light of the problems encountered this week on the en1 and en2 servers

From what i have read it seems that the new process means that the version that is beta tested is no longer necessarily exactly the same as the version implemented which to me seems a possible source of problems

DeletedUser

Is the new process being re-evaluated in the light of the problems encountered this week on the en1 and en2 servers

From what i have read it seems that the new process means that the version that is beta tested is no longer necessarily exactly the same as the version implemented which to me seems a possible source of problems

I really hope so. On the Dutch forum we're getting new upgrade information about fixed bugs we've never encountered :confused::confused::confused::confused: