• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Sorcerers' Homecoming

Enevhar Aldarion

The way Inno is going with testing those Fellowship and Neighborhood researches that are done at the beginning of chapter 2, it looks like they may try and make chapter 1 a true tutorial chapter, where you don't do anything other than learn the game and work on your city in chapter 1. If Spire and FA and Tournament cannot be done until chapter 2 or 3, it would make sense for events to not even show up for chapter 1 cities.

aliceFalling

The way Inno is going with testing those Fellowship and Neighborhood researches that are done at the beginning of chapter 2, it looks like they may try and make chapter 1 a true tutorial chapter, where you don't do anything other than learn the game and work on your city in chapter 1. If Spire and FA and Tournament cannot be done until chapter 2 or 3, it would make sense for events to not even show up for chapter 1 cities.
sure, if this happens then it's another matter.

Aeva

why? because galloping /getting through the chapters asap us the only way to play? i think not.
Reading back I don't see anyone saying that you should be in a hurry in chapter 1 and 2. But there is a major difference between normal gameplay and taking it very easy. Chapter 1 and 2 are easily done in a few weeks (2 maybe 3) and nobody is asking to play for hours every day to accomplish those.

DeletedUser2378

With the new Leagues, I'm cool with gaining any extra reward once the event is over, no matter where I end up in the placement. Anything extra is a bonus to me and Royal Restoration spells are great to stock up on, anytime!
If I looked at it in a competitive way, I'd be pretty annoyed that there's yet another thing I need to worry about doing well at, so *I* choose not to look at it that way. ;)

A suggestion from me would be to change the "amateur" ranking name.
The placement is not the issue... but rather the title, which if you look it up suggests incompetence or inept, which is a bit harsh.
I don't feel incompetent by completing a couple of event quests each day and only going for a couple of beacons here and there, when that's all I'm trying to complete on any given day.
Not very appealing or motivating when you've been playing the game for years yet now this new feature is calling you inept. LOL, see what I mean? Not a big deal and this is a bit nit-picky admittedly, however I wanted to still throw out the feeling the name "amateur" conjures. Hobby, Bronze, Silver and Gold are are great!

Enevhar Aldarion

A suggestion from me would be to change the "amateur" ranking name.
The placement is not the issue... but rather the title, which if you look it up suggests incompetence or inept, which is a bit harsh.
I don't feel incompetent by completing a couple of event quests each day and only going for a couple of beacons here and there, when that's all I'm trying to complete on any given day.
Not very appealing or motivating when you've been playing the game for years yet now this new feature is calling you inept. LOL, see what I mean? Not a big deal and this is a bit nit-picky admittedly, however I wanted to still throw out the feeling the name "amateur" conjures. Hobby, Bronze, Silver and Gold are are great!

Amateur is the category when someone does something for no pay, such as in sports, like in college and high school. Some of them are way better than most of the paid professionals in their respective games. I think Inno maybe got the idea to call that level "amateur" because they think everyone finishing in it will not be using real money, while the "pros" who spend money will finish in the real leagues, gold and silver.

DeletedUser2378

Amateur is the category when someone does something for no pay, such as in sports, like in college and high school. Some of them are way better than most of the paid professionals in their respective games. I think Inno maybe got the idea to call that level "amateur" because they think everyone finishing in it will not be using real money, while the "pros" who spend money will finish in the real leagues, gold and silver.

Yes, indeed. There are a couple ways of interpreting the word "amateur" if we really want to get definitive. Who knows why INNO chose which names they did.

Definition of amateur

1: one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a profession. (as you pointed out)
2: one lacking in experience and competence (as I pointed out)
3: DEVOTEE, ADMIRER
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/amateur
LOL, I really don't want to go on and on about the definitions. You're probably right that the first definition is where the devs were heading...but it still has a rather harsh or inept feeling behind it.
Just throwing out that the name of the ranking isn't as...user-friendly as the other titles.
It really is a minute issue but as a player, wanted to provide my feedback on the matter...and now I've done so. :)

aliceFalling

I don't think so. That is a mather of opinion and some chapters are easier to get by then others. Orks is one that is not that easy compared to woodelves for example.
orcs is only a matter of the high waiting time to create the various items needed, with time instants that is easier, and woodelves difficulty could be having to wait longer than before for the 'portal'.

aliceFalling

Reading back I don't see anyone saying that you should be in a hurry in chapter 1 and 2. But there is a major difference between normal gameplay and taking it very easy. Chapter 1 and 2 are easily done in a few weeks (2 maybe 3) and nobody is asking to play for hours every day to accomplish those.
out of curiosity, what for you is 'normal' gameplay?

Lovec Krys

@aliceFalling Then why are you writing that one week for ch1 is too hasty when whole ch1 can by done by using your generated KPs + clearing the 10 provinces(required for entering ch2) in less than 4 days?

aliceFalling

@aliceFalling Then why are you writing that one week for ch1 is too hasty when whole ch1 can by done by using your generated KPs + clearing the 10 provinces(required for entering ch2) in less than 4 days?
@Lovec Krys i am saying that the idea of 'having to' concentrate on getting to the end of a chapter as quickly as possible as opposed to enjoying the journey, however a player likes it, is not the way people (or elves) should be forced to play if they want to have a chance at an event. that was never how the game started out to be... that sounds more like a FoE-style gameplay. another category.

Aeva

out of curiosity, what for you is 'normal' gameplay?
Let me reverse this question.
Not normal is checking in once every week for an hour, harvesting, fooling around a bit. That is taking it very easy.
Not normal is cheking in every day several times for the 3 hour production, plus top of the spire, plus more then say 7500 points in the tournament and that in several cities. That is taking it very serious.

So, in my opinion, normal is checking in once or twice a day, harvesting your stuff, a few steps in the spire and/or a round in the tournament 10 provinces. This is very doable in every chapter except for chapters 1, 2 en 3 which are the 'learning how to play' chapters.
By playing this game this way you are also able to pick up stuff for the events because that is mainly down to the order in which you pick up your stuff that gives you points to move forwards. Then you win some usefull small prices and you are in for a few bigger ones.

And for your information (I feel this question coming next): no I don't play normal. I have three cities (Embassy, Wizard and Fairy) and they are all in a 10 chest ambitious FS. But I also am a mage (Embassy) and I guide our smaller players (from level 5/6) into this way of playing because that's how my FS live is playing the game and they all deliver because they know from the start what they are getting themselves into.

Aeva

I do like the League.
It's a nice way to see how you are doing compared to other players.

And I agree with @CiraKelley that it might be a good idea to search for another name then 'amateur'. On the other hand, I did not notice untill it was pointed out here. Amateur fits after all the 'league' idea.