• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Winter Magic - The Snow Owl Express

qwertyme

I just started in Beta so have a little city. I really appreciate the quests with options. Fight and win 3 encounters took me three days to get past because I was in a poor spot in research tree. I know that depending on city some quests can take a long time and by offering choices this is sometimes avoided. I do really love the artwork in all the buildings ;)

guivou

quest 51 is totally impossible for a level 2 city : resolve 8 donjon encounter or fight and win 8 encounter ...

hlywdbeta

I dont know which forum to put this in.
The goods quests are getting to be a bit tooooo much. I am running out of boosts and have them producing at all times so it ties up my magic academy and I still can not get enough goods. And this quest shows up every 2/3 quest. going from 60000 to 90000. I really think that Elvenar needs to rethink this quest or modify it. I can't imagine I am the only player with issues on this quest..

SoggyShorts

I really think that Elvenar needs to rethink this quest or modify it. I can't imagine I am the only player with issues on this quest..
The issue is that for years we had many "make a little bit of goods a bunch of times" quests like 10x 24 &48h productions as well as many 3&9h ones.
Players complained about "being forced" to make shanty towns so inno answered with quests to "Make a lot of goods one time" on repeat.
Then they complained about the workshops because they don't want to make this or that production so they mostly became generic "Produce supplies" quests.
That's also why we have "Gain relics" and "Clear tournament encounters" which are really the same quest most of the time.
Just look at the complaints that happened because of a "fight and win 3 encounters" quest.

I really think inno would be open to ideas, but after 5 years and ~30 events with players complaining about every single possible quest type, there's not much left to work with.

hlywdbeta

The issue is that for years we had many "make a little bit of goods a bunch of times" quests like 10x 24 &48h productions as well as many 3&9h ones.
Players complained about "being forced" to make shanty towns so inno answered with quests to "Make a lot of goods one time" on repeat.
Then they complained about the workshops because they don't want to make this or that production so they mostly became generic "Produce supplies" quests.
That's also why we have "Gain relics" and "Clear tournament encounters" which are really the same quest most of the time.
Just look at the complaints that happened because of a "fight and win 3 encounters" quest.

I really think inno would be open to ideas, but after 5 years and ~30 events with players complaining about every single possible quest type, there's not much left to work with.
I am not complaining about the quest just the amount of goods it is asking for and how often.

Pauly7

I'm not sure what the answer is, but to play devil's advocate a bit, I think it should be on Inno to have a better chance of figuring this out than we, the players. They're the ones earning the big bucks developing this game.

I go back and forth. Most days I prefer the current set up to the old one, because at least with this one you can just play your normal game. The month is just punctuated with spells of infuriation when you come up against that quest which is so hard for your particular city to get through. I really grew to dislike having the big shanty town and everyone able to get through the quest list in 24 hours just by looking up the "cheat sheet" and setting up everything in advance. However, I still don't think they've yet landed on the right formula.

A few thoughts:

• I think more quests with no double requirements is definitely better because you more often get a feeling that a particular job is completed
  • Any "fight and win" (with no alternative) quests need to be removed
  • Personally, I think the balance of goods required compared to supplies required needs to be rethought. In my main city all the "produce a good amount of supplies" quests can be completed by collecting one 3 hr production from a single Magic Workshop and yet "produce a good amount of goods" can take two, sometimes three, full 3 hour cycles
  • No one wants to be stuck with difficult quests back to back, because it's depressing. If one quest is "produce a good amount of goods" then the very next one should never be "complete 10 tournament encounters" that you may be waiting a couple of days to complete. All these harder quests should have at least three or four easy ones in between, like "do X numbers of NH" or "use one enchantment"
  • They could give "receive 3 NHs a whirl". At least it would be a different type of stress and promote some social interaction
  • A few more of those little stocking fillers, such as "move 3 buildings" or "gain 100 culture" wouldn't go amiss
  • It would be better for some of the easy quests that they put in at the start to be mixed in with the difficult ones further up, such as "produce 5 beverages"
  • How about "craft one item in the MA"?
  • As an alternative to produce goods, what about "lose X amount of T1 boosted goods"? This could be completed either by trading, spire/tournament negotiations, upgrading buildings, completing researches... so many options

I may not be helping much here, but just trying to brainstorm with myself a bit.

hlywdbeta

You have alot of GOOD IDEAS here. I am just so frustrated with this event. I don't own any Magical Manufacturers so I am producing goods as most players are, in regular manufacturers. I just think there is way too much repeating of the same quests. Like you said mix it up better with some easy ones in the middle of the hard one. ALSO REMEMBER the little cities. I would really like to finish an event just 1 time. And I am someone who is off and on all day long as I am retired. So I feel I play/produce more than others. Like my hubby who is only on at 4am and not able to get back on til14hrs later due to the way he works. I really hope Inno is reading these but I doubt it.

SoggyShorts

They could give "receive 3 NHs a whirl". At least it would be a different type of stress and promote some social interaction
I like it but, I can already hear the complaints from those who choose to play solo just as there are when we have "take 3 trades" quests
How about "craft one item in the MA"?
Queue immediate complaints from players with chapter 1&2 cities, but perhaps there is an alternative option that is only useful/available for them?
(If the alternative is for everyone then the quest might as well not exist.)
  • As an alternative to produce goods, what about "lose X amount of T1 boosted goods"? This could be completed either by trading, spire/tournament negotiations, upgrading buildings, completing researches... so many options
This seems reasonable, I'm having trouble thinking of a way to poo-poo it. Maybe after my coffee.:p

I go back and forth. Most days I prefer the current set up to the old one, because at least with this one you can just play your normal game.
This is the key. Most event quests are either
  1. Something you would normally do, but perhaps at a different rate (e.g. training troops, collecting goods, etc)
  2. Something you wouldn't normally do (e.g. set multiple 5 minute or 48h productions)
I think the game would be better if inno picked one and focused it for each event:
  • Have a real challenge that completely disrupts normal play, but only rarely and for significant rewards.
  • Then follow up with a more relaxed event that simply requires a moderate level of activity with tasks that a standard city might complete almost by accident.
Trying to mix and match inevitably leads to players complaining about those specific tasks which are challenging especially compared to the super-easy 5 that they just completed.

Enevhar Aldarion

I am just so frustrated with this event. I don't own any Magical Manufacturers so I am producing goods as most players are, in regular manufacturers.

Wow. There is no such thing as a magical version of the manufactories. Magical Manufacturing is an enchantment that you use on your normal manufactories to boost the production.

Pauly7

Just spit-balling here, but what if they incorporated the principle of a crafting challenge into an event. So... you could have a few normal quests, followed by a "gain x number of crafting points", (I can't remember the right terminology) and those points being gained by either using enchantments or collecting productions, etc.

Deleted User - 81190

This seems reasonable, I'm having trouble thinking of a way to poo-poo it. Maybe after my coffee.:p
This would be a 2 seconds max quest for anyone who is not running completely empty on goods. Open wholesaler, buy some T1s, done.

edeba

I really grew to dislike having the big shanty town and everyone able to get through the quest list in 24 hours just by looking up the "cheat sheet" and setting up everything in advance.
Just because you could do that did not mean you had to do that and except for newbies, by the 2nd or 3rd event, most players could pretty much get through all of the quests. I liked the format where you could just get it done and have a genuine between event free time. I don't like this one quest per day at the end and if they must do it, I'd prefer to see a 2 day offset, where you run out of quests when there is still 2 days left so you have some wiggle room for life events and the life events don't end up a game penalty.

SoggyShorts

This would be a 2 seconds max quest for anyone who is not running completely empty on goods. Open wholesaler, buy some T1s, done.
Yeah, so it's actually "accept a trade from the wholesaler with a new skin. Just like "Gain 16 relics" We all know that really means "Solve 4 tournament encounters"... ;)

Aerendil

Im in chapter 4, reached the daily quests with around 10 days left in the event. Quest are hard but you can do them in time.

I have another issue:
I have 23 steps to go for owl lvl 10 (475 keys)
but have only 154 keys left (+ 45 from last quest and +25 daily ) ,
thats 250 keys short of completing lvl 10
If in the last reward day there are some x3 and x4 again and i get them Im still 125 keys short.

I logged in daily, collected the keys around the city more than daily
I used the shuffle once and I didnt hunt for the x2, x3 and x4 rewards especially when i collected the rewards.
using shuffle is bad idea, if you want the main price and you should aim for the x2,x3,x4 rewards as well.

But overall there not enough keys

Karvest

Got my lvl 10 owl + ~20 desired dailies. Used reshuffle few times. But also used x2 on boxes 2-3 times.
I do it all the time (+map encounters), because usually my tournament timing doesn't align with quests.
I just leave 1-8 provinces partially untouched while event is active, and finish them on tournament-related quests. They are easy enough to fight without any boost.

Pauly7

I have another issue:
I have 23 steps to go for owl lvl 10 (475 keys)
but have only 154 keys left (+ 45 from last quest and +25 daily ) ,
thats 250 keys short of completing lvl 10
If in the last reward day there are some x3 and x4 again and i get them Im still 125 keys short.
154+45+25 = 224 keys

35 hours left = 35 more keys around the city (you should get at least this many = 259 keys

Is there another login bonus in 24 hours time? If so we're up to 284 keys

This will get 11 doors open. On average this will move you 22 steps forward.

I'm not saying it's a gimme, but you have a chance with a bit of luck, if you get more 3 step gifts than 1 step. You also could get quite a few more than 35 around your city. Just don't shuffle the board.

SoggyShorts

I just leave 1-8 provinces partially untouched while event is active, and finish them on tournament-related quests. They are easy enough to fight without any boost.
With EE and there being no rush for gaining/placing expansions I've cheesed a few relic quests by always having a handful of 7/8 map provinces.;)