• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Spire of Eternity

UlyssesBlue

I would try 3 archers and 2 mages
edit (with phenix!)
I'm only at the start of chapter 3 so I haven't unlocked mages yet. Only just unlocked golems. The available troops are light melee (2 star), archers (1 star), treants (1 star), and golems (1 star). I also don't have a phoenix as I started after than event finished. Likewise, I haven't picked up any troop boosting buildings or wonders.

I'll give this another go once the spire opens up again. Maybe there will be a difficulty adjustment that will help.

lika1961

I'm just asking them to consider giving us something other than what we already have a multitude of.

I couldn't agree more. Perhaps you should have a poll to see how many people actually want another fighting element. And make an announcement about the poll in-game. For once go the trouble of actually finding out what the players like and want instead of launching something and then trying to hype it into something we should want. There is no point in asking for feedback unless you actually use it constructively. Remember, the forum only represents a small percentage of the player base.

UlyssesBlue

I can't even get past the first fight of the newly started spire event, as the first one wiped out all my troops. I guess I'll be sitting this one out as well, since I won't be getting back that many troops any time soon.

palmira

And the new spire is basically the same as the old one, fought up to the 8th chest and the tweaks, aside from bug fixes, were microspic tweaks, these are the squad sizes for fights 6 and 7 (the prizes are exactly the same so far, fragments, coin and supplies instants and small time instants).

Screenshot_5.jpg
Screenshot_6.jpg

DeletedUser

Not going to participated anymore in Spire until squad sizes have been seriously reduced. :( Inno wasted a lot of time in a very bad implementation of a mini-game that works great in FoE. :oops: Time which could better have been spend on fixing all open issues/bugs. o_O

DeletedUser2585

Tried the new version of Spire, this time I would refrain myself from coments on how hard it is . Heaps of them already, enough.
So, my point is more on communication side this time.
Obviously the first version released was a reconnaisance by fighting, it drained us willing to test it to the bones and made us unable to participate for some time.
Now the new version is released, more less in the same fashion, but it is not announced why, what is fixed and in general what is the purpose.
How on earth anybody would give it a try 2nd time, having no incentive to do so and quite possibly discouraged by the first version?

BTW, the easiest way how to test it from technical point of view and allow some sort of evaluation at all, is to cut the opposition forces 10-20 times and perhaps also provide some incentive to those players, who participate.

maxiqbert

we certainly won't pay to test your faulty game, inno!!

edit : To make my statement clear, the first version took away something like 20 or squads of golems from me, now I struggle to have enough in my hand to play the turnament, and I'm certainly not buying diamonds to rebuild troops I got stollen from a bug in order to test for further bugs :confused:.*
Usually beta testing is not about finding obvious flaws, but rather the hidden issues, that happen in very specific circumstances. Here, we get a draft, without even the basic maths correctly done, and we're given no means (=troops!) to test it:eek:
At the very least, I'd like to get 30 squads of each unit type for the sake of testing!

Last edited:

Deleted User - 12740

Well, I just tested the Spire again after it was reset, and I must say this time it was a much more enjoyable experience. Where I was previously totally stuck at the first two wave fight, I could now fight my way through the first map with reasonable troop losses (comparable to what I am used to from fighting on automatic in the tournament). It also seems the opponents of the different waves in multi wave fights are aligned so that my fighter's strengths will work for all waves. Now I'll wait for the 12 h door to open (or I get bored enough and use time boosters) and we'll see what the second map is like...

I would definitely like to see some more creativeness when it comes to the non-boss rewards. E.g., in my case, sentient goods would be welcome as rewards as I'm the only one in my brotherhood who can do all tiers of sentient goods and those I can trade with all seem to produce the same goods as I do... :p Troops are another example of rewards that I would much prefer to the current ones.

DeletedUser

A few more thoughts here on the spire:

My dear sweet funny @silvia I’m one of those bored players. If I’m not having fun, well no duckets from me. I represent the players who aren’t in a fellowship. We basically have nothing to do if there isn’t an event going on. Except to refill our factories and thank goodness I have lots of them to fill.

@Loki Blue – same to you, you may have tons of usage for your troops but I just switched to negotiating my map and nothing to do with my troops. (which could change again) While I applaud you for coming up with something for a 3rd option, googling an answer isn’t really challenging. Keep brainstorming.

And since this is pve and not pvp, I don’t really find this to be all slash and kill stuff. Just protecting Elvenar from the baddies stalking our cities. But yes, I agree there should also be more “gentle” things to do in the game. Besides WoW, my other most favorite game is a farming game.

@Jaxom – Because of how I built my city, will actually have lots of room for the new buildings in chapter 5. Sadly, I can’t get to encounter 8 on the first map.

@UlyssesBlue – I didn’t use my fire phoenix for the first 8 encounters. (I’m chapter 4) I may have lost a few less units using it but it’s partially doable without it.

This is Inno’s game and if they firmly believe in what they are doing, they aren’t going to change much of this.

But with the small change they just made (and when I rebuild my units) I might try again when I have my needles upgraded and then maybe again when I have my monastery upgraded. It was a bit disheartening to know I spent so much time making sure I had wonders at level 2,3, and 4 only to find out my city isn’t very good, made me question why I even bothered with wonders.

Soggy once said to me that wonders have no level requirement. And he asked what I thought they should be at, I didn’t answer him but will answer now: My rule of thumb, your wonders should be no less than the chapter you’re on. If you’re chapter 4 then get the first 4 wonders to level 4 (which I’m doing now and might be a factor in why I didn’t get past level 8) Maybe a top chapter it’s twice your level, since there isn’t much to do if you’re finished with the quest line and building. But if you’re not leveling from the very beginning, don’t think you’ll have much luck with the spire.

If there are only 15 chapters in the game and then it starts to go horizontal versus vertical, then theoretically I should have been able to get a little further. Maybe not quite 16 encounters but a few more than 7. My needles was at 2 when I tried, now it’s at 3 and when I try again maybe 4 possibly 5.

The only things, I think Inno could have done better with this, is give us a few squads to test the first round, (I kinda think they were being naughty since they knew a good majority of us but Dony would demolish our army) or made it spire only units, manual fight immediately, and rolled it out with another activity or two. I kinda think the spire is supposed to be used in conjunction with events and other activities not really a stand-alone activity. Ie if one needs 5 combining catalysts for an event, then you use the spire for it. Or if you’re low on coin and supplies do the first encounter for an instant. That is what I think they mean by play at your own pace. Or I’m just full of it.

But bottom line, for me, I don’t think my city was quite up to par for this challenge.

slide

You've given us something which a lot of us don't like, for a second time!

As a non-fighter I have very few troops, I do make them and throw them into the tournament, but using them in the spire seems a total waste, however I did give you the benefit of the doubt and have another go, did the first 3 encounters and got 500 fragments, a coin rain and 3 x 1hr instants.... no thanks... I'll just dump those instants into my barracks to give me a few extra troops; but I'm not doing the next encounter of 2 waves.

You rolled it out the first time and some people got through, a lot of people got stuck and a lot more don't want to fight... there does seem to be a blockage with the devs, which part of "don't want to fight", "the fights are too hard", "the rewards are rubbish" aren't they hearing?

If you want feedback from everybody then roll it out in a form which caters for everybody; but continually throwing it at us with the tiniest tweaks to the fighting element is just frustrating people who, as a general rule, don't mind trying out new things.

Richord

Probably mentioned before, but i'm not going to read back 17 pages.

It's WAY too expansive. (mainly units; I need them for Tournament)

Deleted User - 62044

it's a test, ok we all understand,

but if it is a test, it should not be a real test, what I want to say is, we try it, but we do not lose the troops we only see how it works, but we do not lose our troops ..... and obviously, we dont receive the prizes.

we play to express our feedback about the game not to lose or win

UlyssesBlue

Prior to this most recent update, this is what the 8th encounter on map 1 looked like for me (the point where I got stuck):
index.php

This is what it looks like now:
spire-fight2.jpg

It's worth noting that I am in the same chapter as before, and I haven't done any military related research since, such as squad size upgrades.

I can't help but notice that my squad size is actually higher for this fight after the update, despite no changes to my city that could cause an increase, so it's reasonable to assume this increase is due solely to the update. This means I will lose even more troops now than I did before. The enemy squad size has also increased, and the relative size of my squad size to enemy squad size seems to be unchanged.

This new fight requires golems, which I have only just researched, so I don't have any stockpiled, so once again I am stuck waiting for troops.

Loki Blue

And that's another thing. We're investing our actual troops and actual goods in something that is essentially not even in the Beta testing phase. We're Alpha testing, at a cost to us. That's almost like handing a child a brand new toy and telling them, "here, this is an experimental thinamajig, and we want you to try it out. You've got it for a week, so have at it. Oh...by the way...if you take the cellophane off, you have to pay for it." ;)

DeletedUser

@UlyssesBlue did anything change in your city? did you do more scouting? finish any provinces? I like to see how different all of these are.