• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Are Tournaments Worth Playing or a Waste of Time

DeletedUser1163

Some Elvenar players think the rewards in the tournaments are not worth the effort trying to unlock those chests.

Without the tournaments helping me gain relics and rune shards, I would not be able to build Ancient Wonders and my Magic Academy would just be gathering dust. The tournament also helps boost your goods productions and rewards Knowledge Points.

Tournaments are also easier than fighting in the Very Hard provinces, which I usually end up negotiating, using up all my goods, because the battles are just uh… very hard.

Your entire fellowship benefits from the rewards when chests are unlocked. Your fellowship ranking goes up too but I don’t care too much about that but maybe others do.

What is your opinion about the Tournaments? Are they worth playing or a waste of time?

CrazyWizard

- Creates a goal for many fellowships to improve (more chests).
- Gives a ton of KP usuable in the tech tree, and wonders, also the end rewards give up to 6 days worth of KP to inprove your wonders.
- Once your're able to unlock the 10th chest you get blueprints that will soon enough unlock the power to upgrade event buildings while you grow your city.

The only problem with tournaments is that all members must participate, thats when the fun starts, if half your fellowship ignores it the rewards vs effort aren't worth it.
Once you join a guild thats proficient with it, it becomes quite some fun. even for smaller guilds.
Recently joined a guild on a live server who's score is just over 1m so very small but they already manage 8 chests a week. and that's just a bunch of newbies.

Once everyone does there share the results come swiftly.

DeletedUser1163

@CrazyWizard Thank you for your advice. The tournaments are one of the reasons why we lost so many members in the Beta World. Half the fellowship thought it was a waste of time competing in the tournaments and the other half felt like they were doing all the work for others to reap the benefits. Because our fellowship is so small right now, only one or two members are willing to participate. Two members usually unlock at least two chests each week. So I guess because our fellowship is small, the members in my fellowship are correct when they say it's a waste of time. You need an entire full fellowship to make competing in the tournaments worthwhile. I don't know if the game devs could do this but if they could tailor the tournaments to fit the size of the fellowships, participating in a tournament would be fun again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karvest

Participating in tournaments worth efforts even in your own one-man-army fellowship, just less profitable (small fs-wide rewards at the end of tourney), but still the same good personal rewards for completing tourney provinces.

CrazyWizard

Participating in tournaments worth efforts even in your own one-man-army fellowship, just less profitable (small fs-wide rewards at the end of tourney), but still the same good personal rewards for completing tourney provinces.

Only if you complete more than 9 provinces, because only then do you get access to massive amounts of KP and other goodies.
As for the end rewards, the last few chest rewards are massive compared to the entry level ones.

@Electra Firestorm
Just find new members who are willing to participate in the tournament, and your guild is up and running in no time.

DeletedUser1767

Even first 9 provinces are worth completing. Yes, they give you less rewards than 10+, but they also costs way less resources.
Totally agree. Also, even modest rewards are still rewards which you wouldn't get otherwise, and while they might not be much to write home about individually, they do add up over time. And even the first eight or nine provinces can be invaluable during events.

DeletedUser1163

Just find new members who are willing to participate in the tournament, and your guild is up and running in no time.
Easier said than done CrazyWizard. So many members have joined, get frustrated and leave the game because they can't finish the events, particularly "solve encounters." Some leave fellowships when they find themselves doing all the work in the tournaments to gain rewards for their fellowship, while others do just a few. Some members just don't like the game. I'm not strict in my fellowship because I know how busy everyone is in real life, which comes first over a game. Many of my friends joined fellowships but quit because they have jobs and Elvenar does demand a lot of time to give neighborly aid, trade, compete in Fellowship Adventures (FA), Fellowship Tournaments, complete quests in events, fight/negotiate on the World Map to gain land expansions, and finding time to build up your city.

The game has changed from when I first joined in 2015. It's become more competitive and fellowship oriented, which I like, but unless you can find players that have a lot of time to devote to the game, your fellowship suffers because you need a lot of members who can compete in the FAs and the Tournaments.

SoggyShorts

So many members have joined, get frustrated and leave the game because they can't finish the events, particularly "solve encounters."
LOL keep banging that drum @Electra Firestorm. Seriously there are almost zero players who have stayed in the fairies chapter for 12+ months. Not being able to solve encounters is really just a you problem, not an Elvenar problem.:rolleyes:

Deleted User - 60107

LOL keep banging that drum @Electra Firestorm. Seriously there are almost zero players who have stayed in the fairies chapter for 12+ months. Not being able to solve encounters is really just a you problem, not an Elvenar problem.:rolleyes:
Clearly someone doesn't remember what it is like for a new player just starting.

New players don't have our knowledge and experience. They are not familiar with the battle system and at the same time don't even have access to all unit types, so battles for them can seem hard-to-impossible even if that is not really the case. They are also very likely to overscout in order to get more expansions, which leads to having a very difficult time on the world map. And even without overscouting players in the early chapters still get some Hard/Very Hard provinces at the end of chapters. In addition, there are quests that ask you to solve a certain number of encounters (some of them are story quests and thus mandatory, the rest are side quests, but not all new players realize they can just decline such quests) or gain a certain number of relics, thus adding to the likeliness of overscouting.

So no, you don't need to be in Fairies for 12+ months to have trouble with "Solve X encounters" type of quests.

Anyway, to not be completely offtopic:
Yes, tournaments are worth it, even if only a few players in the fellowship are participating. The first 3 to 6 tournament provinces are quite cheap to cater and easy to fight. At the same time they give pretty decent rewards.

Yes, it can be annoying if only a few do most of the work while all take advantage of the FS rewards. But those few will get much better individual rewards, and the first 2-3 FS rewards are pretty crappy, so those who do the minimum of work won't get much for it.

SoggyShorts

@shadowblack true, brand new players can have an issue with the solves, but after 1 or 2 events (so a few weeks) they should get the hang of it.
My comment was mostly due to following Electra firestorm aka Tauriel Dragonwood around 2 forums and a half dozen threads where she is still complaining about needing orcs to negotiate after more than a year.

Richord

anyone who thinks the Tournament is a wast of time, isn't big enough to play it, hasn't got a good FS or isn't interested in KP's and 'free' spells to use for mana via DA.
getting 10chests almost every week =135points+ stronger wonders is one of the big pillars of this game to play together for good rewards and get kp's yourself (normal and instants).

CrazyWizard

Clearly someone doesn't remember what it is like for a new player just starting.

New players don't have our knowledge and experience. They are not familiar with the battle system and at the same time don't even have access to all unit types, so battles for them can seem hard-to-impossible even if that is not really the case. They are also very likely to overscout in order to get more expansions, which leads to having a very difficult time on the world map. And even without overscouting players in the early chapters still get some Hard/Very Hard provinces at the end of chapters. In addition, there are quests that ask you to solve a certain number of encounters (some of them are story quests and thus mandatory, the rest are side quests, but not all new players realize they can just decline such quests) or gain a certain number of relics, thus adding to the likeliness of overscouting.
Experience is there to be shared, if a member doesn't know the ropes you can teach them.

Overscouting is the first thing I advise to any player again since they tournament difficulty is no longer based on scouted provincies.
Why would you not scout for more room in your town?
I advise any player to ignore the world map battles and cater instead.

Those troops throw them into the tournament instead, for the price of a world map provincies you can battle quite a few tourney provincies.
And by overscouting you get more room, more room is more production and more room for guest races.
I really wonder how much room is left for any from of city if you only scout the bare minimum of provinces and you have to throw down those huge guest race plans and mana buildings.

Deleted User - 60107

I really wonder how much room is left for any from of city if you only scout the bare minimum of provinces and you have to throw down those huge guest race plans and mana buildings.
You'd be surprised. When you don't overscout you don't need as much space. World map encounters are much cheater to cater/easier to fight, so you dont need many manufactories. 3 Tier I, 3 Tier II, adn 2-3 Tier III are moret han enough - and you don't even need to upgrade them to max. That means you don't need as much population and culture, so you don't need to build as many residences. You have more space for high-culture buildings, making it very easy to get 160% (even 170%) Culture bonus. That, in turn, means a lot more supplies - with a Culture binus of 160% 5 Workshops produce as many supplies 8 workshops with 100% Culture bonus (assuming that the workshops are allt he same level). That means you don't need as many workshops, leaving you with some extra space; alternatively, you don't need to upgrade your workshops as much, so you'll need even less population and culture. And of course, more Supplies == more troops for tournaments.

As for guest races, you should have little trouble with Dwarves and Fairies, unless you overbuild (such as building 20 Granite Mines and 20 Copper Foundries, or 10 Day Farms and 10 Night Farms). It isn't until Orcs that space becomes a problem. Once you get to Orcs you can forget about keeping high Culture bonus - but that's also when you can scout as much as you want, as there's no longer a hard wall to block your World Map progress (because you can now produce Orcs).

So the first 7 chapters are pretty well balanced for a city that does only the minimum amount of scouting. After that things are a lot more difficult to judge, as you get new resources (first Orcs, then Mana, then Seeds, then Sentient Goods) that demand more space.

Note that the above is for when you get your population from Residences (and possibly GA/MH), without considering event buildings or Premium stuff.

CrazyWizard

You'd be surprised. When you don't overscout you don't need as much space. World map encounters are much cheater to cater/easier to fight, so you dont need many manufactories. 3 Tier I, 3 Tier II, adn 2-3 Tier III are moret han enough - and you don't even need to upgrade them to max. That means you don't need as much population and culture, so you don't need to build as many residences. You have more space for high-culture buildings, making it very easy to get 160% (even 170%) Culture bonus. That, in turn, means a lot more supplies - with a Culture binus of 160% 5 Workshops produce as many supplies 8 workshops with 100% Culture bonus (assuming that the workshops are allt he same level). That means you don't need as many workshops, leaving you with some extra space; alternatively, you don't need to upgrade your workshops as much, so you'll need even less population and culture. And of course, more Supplies == more troops for tournaments.

As for guest races, you should have little trouble with Dwarves and Fairies, unless you overbuild (such as building 20 Granite Mines and 20 Copper Foundries, or 10 Day Farms and 10 Night Farms). It isn't until Orcs that space becomes a problem. Once you get to Orcs you can forget about keeping high Culture bonus - but that's also when you can scout as much as you want, as there's no longer a hard wall to block your World Map progress (because you can now produce Orcs).

So the first 7 chapters are pretty well balanced for a city that does only the minimum amount of scouting. After that things are a lot more difficult to judge, as you get new resources (first Orcs, then Mana, then Seeds, then Sentient Goods) that demand more space.

Note that the above is for when you get your population from Residences (and possibly GA/MH), without considering event buildings or Premium stuff.

Those are the chapters I am referring to, Those 20+ something expansions you need for the sorcerers and dragons chapter and all those mana buildings on top of that.

I am suprised with your small work idea. you don't really need much, even with a few high level factories you can easily cater the world map.
As scouts take longer and longer you also get more time to collect the goods for catering. but the extra room you create with al those extra provincies could help you to improve your production.

Those productions could assist you in the tournament. just because your city is small doesn't mean your catering/combat costs in the tournaments will be lower as well. the more production you have the better you could perform.

DeletedUser1163

@Richord I agree and I'm trying to convince my fellowship of this. Two members in my fellowship are very strong fighters but looks like they prefer battling on the World Map provinces instead of competing in the tournaments. If the World Map gives you better rewards than the tournaments, it only is given to your city. The tournaments give the rewards to the entire fellowship. Looks like it's time to start recruiting again. Think I'll look for new players to teach them about Elvenar. The high-level players are not really interested in joining a four-person fellowship. Wish my slew of friends would return but I have a plan up my sleeve to entice them back. See my post titled Orc Architecture is Unique."
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/orc-architecture-is-unique.11449/

DeletedUser1657

The sheer volume of KP and runes from tournaments is significant to a town then there is the spells and relics (boost or spells). Much of it should be obvious but perhaps some less obvious things:
  • Runes from fellowship reward are from any wonder, this means you can have enough runes to unlock a later game chapter at the time you get it
  • Lots of broken shards in tournaments so guaranteed runes for your wonder of choice.
  • Just personal tournament performance can get people 100's of kp a week. I know of a number of people who would get 400kp+ a week (total kp not jut tournies), the more keen in tournaments can do 500 or even 600+kp a week. That makes a big difference to your town.
  • The tons of relics and spells convert to more resources from goods, and supplies to mana (with dragon abbey later on)
  • You can get so many runes even personally that you just don't care about runes from donations to other people wonders
If people realise the benefits of tournaments and do them for themselves all they need is other people who recognise the same. The general self interest in tournaments will generate the fellowship rewards naturally without pressure. Very nice to be in a fellowship that hits 10 chests without push/focus weeks or draining your town of goods.

I am suprised with your small work idea. you don't really need much, even with a few high level factories you can easily cater the world map.
As scouts take longer and longer you also get more time to collect the goods for catering. but the extra room you create with al those extra provincies could help you to improve your production.

Those productions could assist you in the tournament. just because your city is small doesn't mean your catering/combat costs in the tournaments will be lower as well. the more production you have the better you could perform.

My experience is those who scout more actually struggle more with space, cause they keep filling it up. There are pros and cons to both, but minimal scouting does not create space issues like one might think. I have a town with minimal scouting and it has no problem with guest races so far (about to get to amuni). It runs 2 factories of each boost except sentient and has millions and millions of goods. Tournaments is no issue whether I choose to fight or cater It can also easily do world map provinces with troops or cater, it is bluetopia so troop loss is minimal.

DeletedUser1163

Mykan, in the Beta World I have 5 players, only 3 are active. Maybe that's the reason why the members think it’s a waste of time competing in tournaments. Be that as it may, I'm going to copy your post and send it to my fellowship. Maybe that will convince them how beneficial tournaments are.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1163

So glad to find out there's a warning on Wiki about overscouting. I wish this Hint was there when I first started playing. I was forced to stop fighting and negotiating, unless I wanted to spend diamonds, because I found myself facing Very Hard Provinces, and I was only in the Dwarves chapter at that time. That's one of the reasons why a lot of my neighbors and friends quit playing. They did the same thing I did, overscouted, and thought if they wanted to continue playing Elvenar, they would have to buy diamonds to negotiate in the Very Hard provinces.

All of us liked fighting and found we could not battle in the provinces anymore until we reached the Orcs & Goblins chapter. They should have stayed and toughed it out like me and waited patiently because eventually on May 12, 2016, Tournaments were added and you could commence fighting again. Here's the Hint from the Wiki website.

Hint:
It is advisable to scout only the amount of provinces needed for the next chapter in the research tree. The cost for fighting or trading to complete the province will increase with each newly scouted province. In later provinces you will need Orcs to trade.
https://en.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=World_Map

Valtitude

I too, was an over-scouting fool. When I started playing Elvenar, players were telling one another to scout a province a day. For the smaller cities, it worked. Once I got to Dwarves, I was stuck and didn't understand why, so I left the game for awhile. I returned in Jan this year. Most players never return.