• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Compensation announcement

Loki Blue

Thank you for the lovely house. Our internet has been out since Wednesday, it was just restored a couple of hours ago, so this was a welcome surprise to return to. :)

SoggyShorts

If they had not changed these old buildings, then all players who still had them and would upgrade them would be out of every others players league, they would have a lot more for example production than another player could reach. thats why they had to be brought back to the same standards as the other event buildings.

You have this completely backwards. Check out THE LIST , all of the buildings except the scream of halloween got a BUFF in chapters 10+, so "players who still have them can upgrade them to be out of every others player's league" because of the change. The rebalance has had the exact effect you are saying the devs wanted to avoid.

Ashrem

I told before that the way they implemented it would not be my way to implement it.
But the result of both ways of implementation is that those buildings would still be nerfed. the nerf was needed for the blueprint/restoration spell implementation, but the better option would have been to implement that nerf on an upgrade and not on all buildings.
You conclusion does not follow from the postulate. There was no need to nerf the original buildings in order to have the new versions upgradable.

The only advantage of this method is that de code is much cleaner and has no clutter in it from a coders perspective.
Downside of the current method is that it's extremly consumer unfriendly.
There's no code clutter at all. Event Buildings either have their "upgradable" flag set to 0 or 1. That hardly qualifies as clutter.

CrazyWizard

You have this completely backwards. Check out THE LIST , all of the buildings except the scream of halloween got a BUFF in chapters 10+, so "players who still have them can upgrade them to be out of every others player's league" because of the change. The rebalance has had the exact effect you are saying the devs wanted to avoid.

Look at the list of population/culture buildings.

Without the nerf a glacial garden would provide 4100/4100 pop/culture this has now been dropped to 4100/2700, still awesome btw.
The biggest nerf has been applied to the combined pop/culture buildings.

I honously dont understand the massive drop of all buildings at lower levels atm but on the other side... most buildings that are on that list havent been released for about a year and a half, a few other less powerfull ones 6+ months ago?

Those early chapters are fairly quick, should players by now not have been progressed in the game so much that regular buildings/other event buildings surpass those old buildings?(end gamers excluded since 1 guestrace too really long to be released)
The players affected the most should be by now multiple chapters ahead from where they got them?

The only reason I had not destroyed my massive bulk of glacier gardens(and other bombs) by now is because I anticipated this move (without nerf) and expected to even outdwarf the diamond players by using it with there old stats. (i have ammased a giant stack of blueprints by now)
But even with the new stats I expect to get a free 70-100k points from those upgrades. and combined with my 87k tournament score I expect to at least give our big spender on the live server a good spending challenge ;)

edit: I am also happy with the change since now it will be easier to replace those pop/culture buildings you get at an early level, i'll guess this might be the reason for there massive drop. they were horribly hard to replace, even when they sucked chapters later.
at least this is what I noticed on my account that I started anew. and I have seen quite a few players struggle with. especially the glossy/glacier gardens and winter star like buildings.

Ashrem

Those early chapters are fairly quick, should players by now not have been progressed in the game so much that regular buildings/other event buildings surpass those old buildings?
No. Just like in a thread on live forums, you are assuming how people play. I was in Fairies when the Glossy gardens were given out in Spring of 2017 and I'm just finishing Woodelves. I'm not required to play at what someone else considers an appropriate speed.

SoggyShorts

I honously dont understand the massive drop of all buildings at lower levels atm but on the other side... most buildings that are on that list havent been released for about a year and a half, a few other less powerfull ones 6+ months ago?
Those early chapters are fairly quick, should players by now not have been progressed in the game so much that regular buildings/other event buildings surpass those old buildings?
Exactly, these nerfs mostly hurt who we would consider very slow players. Not exactly the kind of players that needed to be nerfed.
The only reason I had not destroyed my massive bulk of glacier gardens(and other bombs) by now is because I anticipated this move (without nerf) and expected to even outdwarf the diamond players by using it with there old stats. (i have ammased a giant stack of blueprints by now)
But even with the new stats I expect to get a free 70-100k points from those upgrades.
How does this change get you 100K points?

CrazyWizard

Exactly, these nerfs mostly hurt who we would consider very slow players. Not exactly the kind of players that needed to be nerfed.

How does this change get you 100K points?

I am the archmage of a premier tournament guild on the dutch server. also I own 20something glossy/glacier gardens and other good event buildings I have collected since the start of events.
We also have gotten the blueprints for over 60 consecutive tournament rounds.
Once the restoration spell is released I am able to upgrade most of my event buildings immedeatly and some buildings later.
The population increase of this effect compared to pre-nerf is well over +45k added with an massive increase of culture as well.

Ill probebely destroy a bunch of homes, and build more factories, workshops and the king of easy points when your swamped in culture the Armoury.

This is my city pretending the with the event buildings upgraded and all builded wonders maxed out
http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/20bc68f6772a40de983e1e5d34e9c580/

just hit report ;)

SoggyShorts

@CrazyWizard ahhhhh I see. All level 25 wonders eh? Was that accomplished with $5,000 or....other means?;)

with how many players have alt accounts on NL1, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more Blueprints on NL 1 than on US1-7 combined.

Totally different game.

Last edited:

CrazyWizard

@CrazyWizard ahhhhh I see. All level 25 wonders eh? Was that accomplished with $5,000 or....other means?;)

with how many players have alt accounts on NL1, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more Blueprints on NL 1 than on US1-7 combined.

Totally different game.

For a long long time and way before those alt crap we already got our weekly blueprint as I was the first to collect all the tourney players in 1 guild creating that one guild who was able to do it.
1 guild recently got to a point where they have a blueprint every week and a bunch of guilds have it every few weeks.

Not accounting for all the fake guilds that just get 10 chest with 20+ tiny accounts and 2-3 big ones feeding goods. out nr1 player running 6 high level 800-1m accounts who has spend in access of $100k at this game has 2 of those guilds every week. every week she switches back and forth between those guilds.

but we are getting of topic ;)
Both the blueprints and the event buildings are legit. it doesnt matter what the wonders are or do, once the update function is released they will change the game. and instead of blueprints people can still throw money at it and reach te same level.

Calenmir

Hi everyone - my note was not intended to start problems between players. While I get that some who have great buildings are happy with the changes, some of us aren't. The compensation is fine if ALL YOU LOST was pop. Also, if you are willing to spend money to upgrade or can reach the needed spells to upgrade. If you are, good on you. I"M NOT.

Soggy - thanks for that info. Your explanation from last night does make sense in regards to unicorns - though still the dumbest thing they thought needed adjusting. They must have been truly desperate to hit such a small building.

As for getting blueprints and spells... I'm not at all jealous (ok, maybe a tinnnny bit) that you can get this and proceed without much impact to your city. GOOD FOR YOU. But there are quite a few folks who can't. I'm only asking questions, that so far have been ignored by anyone able to give a real answer, that I think need addressing.

The spells necessary are nice, the gift is nice - but (and yes, there is always a 'but') if you can't place the gift or if you can't afford to upgrade the gift or get the needed spells to upgrade the gift - it's of no value. If you are in a FS that can't for whatever reason reach the point to get blueprints or spells (if they become a 'chest' prize) then you have nothing of value in this compensation. Other than whatever was given when you first set in in your city.

When we were awarded these prizes, they had a value that was beneficial to our cities. People chose to try to get them or somehow managed to get them and put them in their cities. Whether they should have been replaced 'by now' or not is no one's concern but the city builder's. However, we expected them to maintain their value. We DEPENDED on them maintaining their value. Now there is very little in this game that can be relied upon. At a whim, it seems, the developers will change the game and we all must suck it up. They are now choosing to use the excuse that the future of the game depends on it. Somehow, knowing that each guest race requires more upgrades, ,therefore more pop and culture, seems a bit out of place to tell me that my buildings were out of balance and therefore we have decided 'for the future of the game' to hit you so hard you can't recover, but... now we realized we weren't that bright in our assessment and will hand out a prize that may or may not help you but it's your choice to place it, if you have the space - we had to do what we did because the game's future was dependent on it.

Sorry folks, but that is the whole issue in my note. That is what all this is about. I want an explanation as to how the game's future hinges on taking over 1000 culture from one building (if you just happened to acquire it in the 'wrong' chapter - but apparently if you got it in the RIGHT chapter the game hinges on giving you more culture). How does devastating someone's population help keep the game going for another year or month or day? That's all I'm asking.

Soggy, Ashrem and Crazy W - I respect all three of you! I've read and agree (and sometimes disagree) with your notes. Maybe sometimes I even respond or maybe won't be drawn into a discussion. It's not that you all are wrong. Each of you makes a GREAT point - but - it's not from the developers. I think we are all owed something more than a 'whoops - here's your compensation, hope it works for you' note. And no, moderators, that is not directed at you, but could you please get us an answer. You are our only lifeline to them.

Thanks.

Calenmir

Last edited:

DeletedUser1657

@calenmir Good luck if you can get a response from a dev, its rare to never happened before. I think however there is no answer for you as you want/need an explanation that relates to a specific building and there is no way the devs ever look at one town like that. They are looking at the big picture and pattern and see something in it that needs to be changed for the flow and consistent, style, whatever of the game.

Changes sadly are a part of the game, we have seen this time and again. The change to the GA was the closest to this in the past in terms of stopping a towns growth, yet there was no explanation at that time either. I wish you all the best but I fear you will not get the answer you desire. Sadly some people will never get an answer that will satisfy them and I think that is why inno goes quite a lot at these times. We has players are left mostly with the choice of quitting or moving on regardless.

All the best and I hope there is a response but I really don't expect to see one.

Marindor

Hi @calenmir ,

Please let me try to explain it a bit more to you. I don't know if it will satisfy your current feelings, since I've already explained this multiple times, also on different rebalancing topics and it basically comes down to what other players also already told you, but maybe this explanation will help you understand things like this a little bit better from a company's perspective :)

Let's go back in time, about 3,5 to 4 years. Many of our Beta players, including myself, were here from the very beginning so they might remember those days. Elvenar was being developed and was entering its last stages of development before Close Beta would start. This was an exciting time for the whole team and basically, the whole company. While the last finishing touches were made behind the screens, we kept our players up-to-date with various blogs and on January 20th, 2015 Closed Beta started! Beta keys were ditributed in limited numbers to players who signed up for Beta and we started testing the game mechanics as the were in those times, slowly adding more and more players to see if the game would keep up with higher numbers of players as well.

After a certain amount of time, Closed Beta became Open Beta and the game got tested and prepared for a launch on Live markets. What's very important to understand here, is that Elvenar is only 3,5-4 years old and back in those days, we were in our very early stages. At this point, you always hope that a game will succeed. There are more games that don't make it to an actual launch, than games which do. Of course when you're developing a brand new game, you have a rough idea about where you want the game to go to in the next 1, 2, 3 years, but it's not really possible to look very far beyond that. You just hope players will like your game, player numbers will increase, and the game will bring enough revenue to make it through your targets and decide whether or not it will be profitable enough to keep the game running for a longer time.

The game, back then, was a very simplified version of the game we're playing now. Players from those days will probably remember it: There were no Fellowships (although we already had them planned). There were only 5 chapters. There were no Guest Races, no temporary goods, no mana or devine seeds, no tournaments, no chat box, no events, no quest lines stories, no Fellowship Adventures, we didn't even have Ancient Wonders yet! The game was running kind of OK the way it was (a lot of features were still missing and of course we had bugs, whishes and complaints back then as well), but the first focus you have as a company, is monitoring the game's performance, loyalty of players, revenue and if the player numbers increase enough to push the game through.

All these features I mentioned, got added in the next couple of years. As a company, we noticed that the game was becoming succesful, our team of game designers/developers got bigger and we started adding the requested features little by little. This is also the moment where you see that you indeed have a game here which is going to survive on the long run, and you start thinking further ahead in the future as well. It's not about "surviving" the first 2-3 years anymore, it's now about making this game a long term success. As you see from some other browser games, these kind of games can keep being developed and become over 15 years old, so when you see your game is doing well, you start preparing for this as well.

Let's say that on a pace of 2 new chapters/Guest Races per year, we want to continue with this game for at least 10 more years. That means that by that time, we'll be 20 chapters further, so around chapter 35. This also means that all the balancing changes we're doing, should be prepared for that. We don't want to rebalance every game element each 2-3 years. We now know this game is a game for the long run, so this is also what we keep in mind when (re)balancing things. You might understand what features like Ancient Wonders, Tournaments & relics, and Event Buildings do to the game balancing as a whole. It's just a very different situation than 2-3 years ago.

Therefore, when I'm talking about the future of the game, I don't mean the whole game would fall down drastically from one day to the other. What I mean, is that we're keeping our goal to make this a long-term game in mind when we're rebalancing stuff. We now have more game elements which influence the overall balancing than 2-3 years ago and we need to keep that in mind as well. We also know our plans for the upcoming years, the influence those will have on our game, and we know the whishes of our communities which we want to include in our developments (like an opportunity to upgrade event buildings).

Maybe in cases like this, it sounds simple: Just leave a few buildings untouched and make the rest upgradeable. But this is not the way that fits with our long-term-game strategy. It would not be very clean codewise (since we'll have spells that will upgrade all event buildings. It isn't nice to make certain buildings a non-event building so they can't be upgraded by these spells), but also: it wouldn't benefit on the long run. We want these buildings to be attractive even in chapter 35, if you wish to keep upgrading them. We don't want them to stay on a certain level. That's the whole point of making them upgradeable in the first place. Another solution would be to neglect the requests for upgradeable event buildings, but that's also not the option we'd like to go for. We like to implement things in the game for which our player base is asking. After all, the target is to make it a fun game for them. Yes, implementing and changing things will take time and you'll never be able to satisfy everyone, but if certain features get requested a lot, as a company we do want to do something with that. Sometimes, when it comes to a need for rebalancing, it means we'll have to swallow the bitter pill temporarily, to make sure an adjustment will make it in the long run and to be able to implement it without having to reject it.

As said: I don't know if this answer changes your feelings, for my experience as a Community Manager has also taught me that how well you may try and how nice of a compensation you're offering, you'll never satisfy everyone, but I do hope this at least helps you understand why we make certain choices with our future goals in mind, even if it means a temporary disappointment on the short term :)

Calenmir

@Marindor - thank you. As I didn't actually expect any sort of answer I very much appreciate you taking the time. Sadly, I've got less than a minute to get out the door to work. I did read it and appreciate the detail of the message (though more skimmed it and will read fully later when I'm home). Thank you again!

Calenmir

Maillie

Thank you @Marindor for the explanation. I look at things in a broader sense than some do. Many people put a lot of time, money, and/or luck into getting some extraordinary rewards. I easily recall one of our fs members getting 3 of the Candy Cane trees. I tried and tried and got none. If that lucky person kept those trees and wanted to upgrade them as they were, it could not imbalance the game, neither now nor in the future. The game sells diamonds, which obviously keeps the game out of balance. What difference could 3, 4, or 6 Father Tree of Candy Canes' upgrading make when it's possible to purchase enough diamonds to fill a city with Magic Residences and Magic Workshops? None. What difference would upgrading the old Glossy Gardens make when people can purchase enough diamonds to have nothing but diamond culture items? None.

When you talk about game balance, how can you lock up the spells behind clearing the 10th chest, an utter impossibility for most? I see this as a major break in game balance for entire fellowships. Those top fs can not possibly take in all the players that would love to upgrade their event buildings. Some people were lucky enough and determined enough to get rare buildings, it was just wrong to take that away, then tell them they have to repurchase what was taken from them, or find a different fellowship.

Also, I don't mean to put down the ones that pay for their buildings; in fact, I totally appreciate them. They keep a wonderful game afloat :) I buy diamonds, as do a large part of our fellowship. I see nothing wrong with that. What I do see wrong is punishing the ones that worked hard for something, for no real reason now, or in the future.

CrazyWizard

Hi @calenmir ,

Maybe in cases like this, it sounds simple: Just leave a few buildings untouched and make the rest upgradeable. But this is not the way that fits with our long-term-game strategy. It would not be very clean codewise (since we'll have spells that will upgrade all event buildings. It isn't nice to make certain buildings a non-event building so they can't be upgraded by these spells), but also: it wouldn't benefit on the long run. We want these buildings to be attractive even in chapter 35, if you wish to keep upgrading them. We don't want them to stay on a certain level. That's the whole point of making them upgradeable in the first place. Another solution would be to neglect the requests for upgradeable event buildings, but that's also not the option we'd like to go for. We like to implement things in the game for which our player base is asking. After all, the target is to make it a fun game for them. Yes, implementing and changing things will take time and you'll never be able to satisfy everyone, but if certain features get requested a lot, as a company we do want to do something with that. Sometimes, when it comes to a need for rebalancing, it means we'll have to swallow the bitter pill temporarily, to make sure an adjustment will make it in the long run and to be able to implement it without having to reject it.
Thanks for the response, I like to come back at the bolded part.
Due the nature of the game I still believe an stat change to the building should have been implemented on an upgrade.
It would have given no harm to anyone, the game, the long term objectives, or the players. but it would have avoided the current outcry that players displayed and that is now adressed with the "compensation" part.
The permanent dissolution of the old stuff (and there crappy code) could have been removed on a later moment when the amount of old buildings would have dropped below a certain rate because the nature of the game would have cleaned up that old junk on it's own without the need to force it like you did this time.

Please,
I won't say it's always possible, but if it's possible like in this case, please go for the elegant route. working with your players on the future instead of against them.
For example you could have announced that the "keeping the legacy" stats on exiting buildings would last for only 6 months. this would allow the player to either upgrade there event buildings in that time, replace them with new buildings or accept the new stats.
This would mean that 6 months after introduction you can clean up the code so it wouldn't stay cluttered with junk code while at the same time keeping the consumers (us) happy.

ps. the worst part of this change is that the new features arent ready, why oh why arent the stat change and the upgrade option not released at the same time? it just doesnt make sense, this too could have avoided the spilling of tears.

SoggyShorts

For example you could have announced that the "keeping the legacy" stats on exiting buildings would last for only 6 months. this would allow the player to either upgrade there event buildings in that time, replace them with new buildings or accept the new stats.
They could also make it so that upgrading a Legacy building changes it to the new version.

Karvest

@Marindor,
If you are thinking about 20+ chapters ahead - you can just leave those old buildings as is for the chapters they were possible to obtain, and apply all your rebalancing only to higher levels, without any impact both on players that already have it and future events/upgrades, without any code cluttering. The only thing that would suffer - no one would try to upgrade some of them for a few chapters (while/if their new stats would be worse than original). But now it's the same result - those buildings would be just wiped out from the cities, since there are more profitable applications for diamonds/blueprints/spells.

SoggyShorts

@Marindor
None of the winter stars,GG or rainbow unicorns were overpowered 5 days ago because they were months old, so the only players who still had them are those who play rather slowly, and there is no reason to nerf those players. Who cares if a player that takes 6 months per chapter can do it in 5 months?

Even if the buildings needed a nerf so that they can be given out in future events without being overpowered, there is no good reason they couldn't use the suggested Legacy system.

Legacy System:
  1. All Glossy gardens become Legacy Gardens
  2. New Glossy Gardens are rebalanced as inno sees fit (which hurts no one since they haven't been available yet, ever)
  3. Legacy gardens if upgraded become Glossy gardens matching the new stats.

That's it. Simple* fix, no one can really complain. A little extra coding effort to change 20+ pages of hate posts(per server?) to zero upset players seems like a good deal.

*I know players (myself included) throw around the word "simple" a lot when discussing programming, but really every time they make a new building they basically do exactly what I am suggesting, so we know it is possible.

Last edited:

Calenmir

@Marindor once again thanks! The answer does satisfy in that it explains what I wanted to know and it's coming from a source that is in the know (that is not an insult to those who may have said similar trying so hard to make me listen). The compensation was very nice and for those that can use it/place it and then upgrade it that should help them a lot. I did lose pop but not so much as most folk. But my culture is where I need help - so the spell is the real interest to me. I can only hope future spells will be attainable because otherwise I will have to break down and take those buildings out of my city to make room for buildings that can help me. Sadly, if I do so, I WILL lose pop (and that is the only reason they are still in my city so I don't go 'negative pop') - so you see the dilemma and why this is concerning.

But back to your note, yes, the game remains fun - it's why I'm still here. I accept the chapter challenges of the buildings changing size and shape and culture needs. I make space for those extra culture needs because of it. I play in the events to the detriment of my city (for however many days it takes) - I even sucked it up and put up T1 bldgs. (that I swore I wouldn't) to help get badges and other rewards. So you can imagine that yes, when folks try so very hard, they will be disappointed (and even angry) to find that something they worked so hard to get and was helping them achieve city success has become near worthless and the compensation will require further work to help them get any of it back. I don't think anyone is rejecting the compensation outright, but it's just not necessarily what everyone needs to repair the (in some cases) extreme damage done to their progress. I know you experienced it too in some measure. It's just very disappointing to watch everything you've spent hours and months and maybe even years accomplishing suddenly come to a halt and having to rethink the entire city design and needs. Some may not stay because the damage will take far too much time (that they already gave once) to bring it back to a city that is growing again.

However, if I haven't said so, then I will say: Thank you and the developers for the gift (and this time I won't say 'but' - lol).

Calenmir

DeletedUser1657

None of the winter stars,GG or rainbow unicorns were overpowered 5 days ago because they were months old, so the only players who still had them are those who play rather slowly, and there is no reason to nerf those players. Who cares if a player that takes 6 months per chapter can do it in 5 months?

I still have winter stars on most of my towns. One of my towns has several of these in the town and in its inventory, this town was at max chapter when I got them and is max chapter now. I still found them beneficial to my town. I had considered deleting them around elementals but still found them beneficial and kept them knowing how powerful they were as I hoped the upgrade option would come giving me some powerful event building options. Now I might be an exception but perhaps not, I also don't take 6 months per chapter or feel I play slowly (on my main towns anyway ;))

@Marindor Thank you for the explanation, I found it interesting and beneficial. Having weathered some previous updates that majorly effected me its easier to realise I can adjust and adapt and see that there is a long term goal. I am really happy to see some compensation buildings this time. I know some people won't be happy about what is offered but again the big picture to me is that this is the first time this has occurred with a major change. While I hope (as I am sure you do) that major changes that negatively impact players don't occur again in the future I also hope that should they occur tht this sets a precedent for future changes and compensation. A small token or gesture of understanding that I feel goes a long way. Thank you to you and the team for this consideration this time.