• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

User Interface Make start of chapter more obvious

Are you in favor of this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dony

King of Bugs
Move it to where? On top of a tech that comes after Advanced scouts? Which one?
Moving the chest would require actual programming, and even if it's simple programming, that can take a long time on Elvenar.
Also this would actually change the game as you can only open the chest once you have cleared xxx provinces, but if the chest was after Adv scouts, you could research advanced scouts and then start clearing provinces at a lower price/troop count before actually reaching the xxx/xxx threshold.

A simple graphics change should be doable very quickly as we have already shown.
advanced scout could have cleared xxx provinces as requirement to finish that tech, so instead of requiring 10m gold and 1m supplies it would also require clear xxx provinces, and reward from chest can be baked into reward from the tech instead

DeletedUser1075

This is a visual issue. The new chapter research tree includes Advanced Scouts. Therefore, the new chapter is seen as starting BEFORE you research advanced scouts. And then at some point, you'll either facepalm when you realize that you should have delayed collecting some event reward a few hours so you could fill the last kp and actually get to the real start of the new chapter, or you'll have to explain to another FS member why the game visual is misleading. Either way, it's annoying. Even if you know about it, it's still annoying because it is visually wrong.

Poll options:
  1. Completion of prior chapter research = new chapter start. Revise game mechanics so that the new chapter starts immediately when you finish the research for the old chapter, OR as soon as the newest chapter is loaded into the game (if you're already at the end)
  2. Chest and advanced scouts visually moved to prior chapter, open chest and do research to start new chapter. Put Advanced Scouts and the chest in the prior research tree chapter (as Soggy suggested in his example) - note that this would require a modification to the research tree when new chapters are loaded, so I don't think it is quite as simple as Soggy suggests. But I'm not a programmer so maybe I'm wrong.
  3. Bridge contains chest, opening chest = transition to new chapter. Create a visual bridge between chapters that has the chest, but not the Advanced Scouts, and start the new chapter when the chest is opened but before Advanced Scouts are researched (in this case, Advanced Scouts remain in the new chapter but you don't have to research them to gain the benefits of the new chapter in events - you are considered "in" the new chapter when you open the chest and cross the line). The advantage of the bridge is that it is a very clear visual of transition, and no modification of the prior chapter is required in order to transition. You know you haven't started the new chapter if you haven't crossed the bridge.
  4. Bridge contains chest and Advanced Scouts, open chest and do research to get to new chapter. This is Sir Squirrel's example. Visually this is still somewhat confusing - putting the research on the line between chapters isn't a clear visual design choice and therefore I'm not 100% thrilled with this one, but the idea of both being on a bridge (a visual area that is not part of either chapter's parchment) is probably something the devs would like since they seem to be enamored of the idea of forcing us to work a bit more to get into the actual chapter.
Any other ideas out there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Squirrel

I think what would make the most since is to just have the chest in between the chapters and that would be the end\start of the new chapter as it is visually what most would think is the end of the chapter. I think that is the best way to fix it IMO, and have advanced scouts be the first tec in the new chapter. I doubt that the Dev's will like it though, because they seem to want the advanced scouts to be the last tec.

SoggyShorts

. I think that is the best way to fix it IMO, and have advanced scouts be the first tec in the new chapter. I doubt that the Dev's will like it though, because they seem to want the advanced scouts to be the last tec.
Whatever line of code is attached to Advanced scouts so that it triggers new chapter status could be moved to the AW wonder tech(or whatever last tech is for a chapter), then no graphic changes need to be made. That works just as well as moving the Adv scouts back behind the line for me.

Dhurrin

@Marindor
Please take a look at Soggy's suggestions or Graces post a bit above this one as they pretty much cover the problem.

I made it perfectly clear a while ago that I've pretty much given up on elvenar and even more so on the forum (I you removed my farewell post, or moved it to somewhere else) but feel it would be a shame to live this issue unfinished and have other people be a victim because I'm no longer around.
I only noticed this bit because I came here to look for answers to a specific problem, so its lucky I even saw the post.

And yes, it is still an issue with new players because its unclear

(edited to add reference to Grace's post)

Last edited:

DeletedUser2003

This is a visual issue. The new chapter research tree includes Advanced Scouts. Therefore, the new chapter is seen as starting BEFORE you research advanced scouts. And then at some point, you'll either facepalm when you realize that you should have delayed collecting some event reward a few hours so you could fill the last kp and actually get to the real start of the new chapter, or you'll have to explain to another FS member why the game visual is misleading. Either way, it's annoying. Even if you know about it, it's still annoying because it is visually wrong.

It's like reading a book: you finish a chapter, you should be finished with that chapter. The next page says Chapter X and you THINK you are in the next chapter. But....here's the clincher...you're still in the LAST chapter, simply because the publisher says so. Who does that?? :oops:

Karvest

for cauldron you have its own counter in each chapter.
1669785602342.png

Last edited:

Dorfl the Clay

Thanks for voting everyone, this idea will now be forwarded :)
Here we are, almost 3 years later, still happens every month or so
this illogical situation is STILL not resolved?
Alas... the fact that an idea was suggested, won a 100% support in a poll and has 'been approved and forwarded' still doesn't mean the dev's will actually implement it, no matter how logical it would seem to do so :confused: