• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Sanity Check

• Thread starter DeletedUser1767
  • Start date

DeletedUser1767

My poor Beta city is currently in the midst of a population crisis: against my better judgement, I let myself be tempted by the short-term allure of event pop/culture buildings during the Snow Flurry, and now I have this sorry situation where I'm dependent on pop/cult buildings that are now very obsolete, and have no room to build more residences or to convert my current residences over to Huge for Orcs/Goblins. I've also been sitting on a Mountain Halls I had no space to build for months.

I considered multiple options for rescuing my poor city, all of them terrible. Probably the sanest option would be to let my city go into negative population for awhile, but I couldn't bring myself to go through with it, so instead I've opted for something I'm pretty sure is insane: having already unlocked the Orc/Goblin residences, I've rearranged my city in order to upgrade all of the residences, which means that there won't be space to start with the actual guest race settlement until all of those upgrades are more or less finished. If I do this, when all of that mess is done, I should have just enough space for the minimum Orc settlement and ought to be able to get rid of the obsolete pop/culture and proceed normally after that. I'm even finally able to build my MH plus both Fairy AWs, which is good, because I guess I'll have a lot of KP to burn for the foreseeable future (especially since I'm intending to do a lot of scouting, having finally decided to abandon the Minimal City Experiment I had been conducting).

So it should work. But my city looks both awful and stupid, and ugh I'm going to be stuck in this chapter forever, and I was just wondering whether anyone else had ever done something similar in a similar position or whether I was the only person stupid enough to put off building their mushroom farms. :oops:

Sir Squirrel

If all you can do at the moment is upgrade your residences then taking out some of the old pop/culture buildings now while you upgrade, is as you said, a good idea, then you would have space to start orcs. I wouldn't worry about going negative pop, as you aren't upgrading anything other then residences anyway and at least you would not be sitting in limbo waiting. It isn't a race though, you will get through sooner or later anyway, so how you do it is up to you!

DeletedUser

I feel you pain, having the same problems with my own city. I'm also stuck in the Orcs chapter, waiting forever to get enough mushrooms and other Orc stuff to be able to progress in the tech tree once again. Orcs chapter is the worst chapter in my opinion. :(

DeletedUser

@Midnightsidhe I hear you, and I'm joining you in the pain. I've been trying to stay within the Goldie Lock Zone with scouting, but the result is that I just don't produce enough goods anymore to meet the costs for the tech. The biggest problem is t3. I'm about to enter the Fairies and the amount of t3 goods for the tech is high. When I'm finished with the advanced scout for the Fairies, I planning to overscout a lot, so that I will have room to build more factories and houses. But that will mean that I have to cater. I'll probably will be tech-locked for a while, because I can't do all three (cater, build, research) at the same time.

PS: I did trash almost all the obsolete pop/cult eventbuildings when I started with the Dwarfs. And had a negative population for a while. Population is now positive again, so I'm working on upgrading my factories. And building a lot more houses still.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

@Jasper
Wait until you get to Halflings - so far it's proving up to be even worse than Orcs...
I've already reach Halflings with my main account, no problems at all, almost finished with the tech tree. Resource gathering with Orcs is worst of all the guest races, it takes the longest time to produce and then only in small quantities. :(

Deleted User - 60107

I've already reach Halflings with my main account, no problems at all, almost finished with the tech tree. Resource gathering with Orcs is worst of all the guest races, it takes the longest time to produce and then only in small quantities. :(
For me the Orcs weren't that bad, once I had upgraded everything to max level. Sure, Shrooms of Wisdom were taking a long time, but with over 20 Farms it wasn't that bad. Halflings, on the other hand...

I have three techs waiting to get unlocked, and they will keep on waiting for at least a few more days until I can finally upgrade Portal to level 4. I have 5 Apple, 5 Pumpkin, 4 Carrot and 4 Wheat Fields, and getting enough Jolly Jelly takes forever. Upgrading the Portal to level 4 has never taken this long before. Then there's getting enough Seeds, especially since they are needed for both the tech tree and for building Grape Farms (I have just 253 provinces complete, since I don't overscout).

DeletedUser1767

Thanks for the commiseration/sympathy, everyone. <3

I'm with @Jasper -- Orcs is the worst. (I'm liking Halflings, actually! Admittedly the building art helps.)

@SoggyShorts -- this is what it looks like at the moment (not pictured: various small culture buildings and roads):
http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/0c85645a02ac4fb39c4639dcd655bb3a/

The other biggish problem I have, you'll notice, is that somehow I need to get enough space and pop to get room to build another armoury and upgrade both to max in order to produce orcs. I think I ought to be able to get to this eventually (this assumes the next expansion from scouting which I should get in a few days):

http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/a93ede3e6c4049e6a6500a233b5d6bb5/

DeletedUser1767

I would consider going down to 3 scrolls at 19 instead of 4 at 16- same production, same pop/culture, but frees up 20 squares.
Also, going down to 4 steel at level 19 should make more than enough.
Here is an option:
http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/9f209d40a37143cdbfef74f3e8f68593/
Plenty of room to add more culture or wonders, or even more farms/rally points.
Thank you SO MUCH. I finally had a chance today to look through this and rearrange my city around. This is soooooo much better than what I had. It never occurs to me to take out factories, but you were absolutely right that that was the right thing to do. There's plenty of room for the settlement; there's plenty of room to deal with the awkward growing pains of raising up the armories; having the four rally points will make the whole chapter much less painful... this is so much better. If I get a second scouting expansion after the one I'm about to get, I should have room to finally add an Endless Excavation! and then it won't be a problem ditching the Orc Nests.

Seriously, thank you; I really really appreciate it. My level of overall life stress is high enough right now that it's making everything harder than it needs to be, and spatial visualisation is not my forte anyway. I think tomorrow I'm going to see if I can use this plan as a model for what to do with my similarly-afflicted Winyandor city.

SoggyShorts

You're very welcom:esmile:
I really enjoy designing cities, sometimes more than the game itself, so if you ever need a second pair of eyes on another city just send me a "raw" architect of it and I'll see what I can come up with.

Buttrflwr

I did the same thing in Beta, so once I hit fairies, I just stopped and started upgrading my existing bldgs, and actually started bldg houses. :p I have/had so many cult/pop bldgs I only had like 15 houses and NOTHING was fully upgraded. I have been in fairies for some time now, and still haven't built the portal. I am just now getting my pop up so that I can start to think about getting rid of some of the snow flurry bldgs, but still haven't even come close to where I need to be at this level. I am glad I didn't do this in my main city. And @SoggyShorts I WISH I had the patience for the elven architect, I just can't seem to make myself sit down and do it. I HATE HATE HATE designing cities! My poor city on Khelonaar is a MESS right now, trying to make room for woodelves. :p

DeletedUser1767

@Buttrflwr Man, do I hear you! My cities limped through Fairies in passable shape (albeit without an optimal number of upgrades) because the residences don't change size, but then once I hit Orcs with the different residences, the time ran out on my temporary stay of execution. The chapters where residences flip are always my Waterloo. I didn't have much trouble converting my main city over to Halflings, but S&D was pretty rough in terms of planning, and I anticipate the next chapter will be too.

@SoggyShorts You are the beeeest. Would it be okay if I sent you my Improved Winyandor Plan once it exists?

Buttrflwr

If you just put your buildings on the map with accurate levels (especially event buildings as I can't see what those levels are) I'll take a shot at it.

Do you mean Khelonaar? :cool::p:D I love you to death, Soggs! (and I mean that in a TOTALLY platonic, gaming, way!) You are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ready to help people, with whatever it is they need help with. You are the best!

SoggyShorts

Would it be okay if I sent you my Improved Winyandor Plan once it exists?
For sur:esmile:
Do you mean Khelonaar?
Yeah, or whatever other servers you play on. It's too hard to open someone elses city and try to get all the buildings right, but if you send a raw* EA link that just has the right buildings, then I can whip something up.
*raw EA = just your buildings with the correct level/chapter for each. No roads, and placement of buildings doesn't matter--you can even leave them off to the side of the map. Also residences are optional as I will just add enough of them to bring your pop over zero once everything reaches max level.

DeletedUser1767

@SoggyShorts -- http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/92d5da1d032c4a919330048b2f76d500/ ?

I pretty shamelessly copied your plan for my Beta city, with the different boosts. The math works! I could even get the elixir up to max along with the marble and crystal. There's one annoying ugly bit of wasted space that I couldn't quite figure out how to fix, though -- you'll see what I mean.

Meanwhile, my Beta city has mushroom farms! and two burgeoning armories! Progress is happening. :D:D:D Thank you so much, Soggy!