• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Communication [Communication] Notification Screen Overhaul

Are you in favor of this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marindor

Hi everyone! There were quite some ideas about improving the notification features. We combined these ideas to 1 clear plan. Please read the details below and vote for this if you want to :)

Summary

The Notification screen should get a major overhaul, making it more user friendly.

Description
At the moment, the notifications screen is not user friendly at all. Various options have been proposed and we combined them into what, according to our community, the screen should look like.

The Notification screen should have 4 different tabs:
  • Trades - Listing all trade notifications.
  • Ancient Wonder Rewards - Listing notifications about Ancient Wonder Rewards (NEW functionality - very much requested)! Should include: Name of other player, Name and Level of Ancient Wonder, Exact reward
  • Neighbourly Help - Notifications about received Neighbourly Help.
  • Other - For all other notifications. Suggestions for this tab: Finished building upgrades, Scout finished.
Upon returning to your own city when you have performed Neighbourly Help from the Notifications screen, the screen should be back on it's previous page (to avoid having to scroll all the way there again to perform the next NH in return).

There should be a "set" time for storing notifications (e.g. 72 hours).

Also: The notifications should be deletable by the player.

Motivation
The new screen would be much more user friendly. Players can browse to the notifications they wish to see and can delete any notification they've read and don't want to see anymore. Furthermore it adds to transparency when players can view their rewards for helping in Ancient Wonders. It would take away the confusion about these rewards which we see happen quite often and would give a clear overview.

Possible downsides
From the player's perspective none. For the company: We would have to invest time to do the rehaul and the AW Rewards would be a new functionality which has to be created, but it would definetely be worth the effort, contributing a lot to the community mood.

DeletedUser118

Good idea. Though if I remember correctly some players also suggested to have more pages. So I would add to have like 20 instead of only 9 pages of Notifications. :)

DeletedUser118

Of course if it splits up abit you have more space for each of them. But I still think it couldn't hurt to add a few more pages. Especially for those with lively neighborhoods and fellowships, as well as alot of trades.

DeletedUser867

The maximum number of pages should be pretty generous. AS A MINIMUM I should be able to see EVERYBODY who helped me during the past 36 hours, so at least (25 Fellowship Members + 200 Folks that I'll want to visit if they are trading) * 36/24 = 338 entries in the visitation tab.

While you're polishing things, I'd also suggest pruning any notifications that are more than 72 hours old.

DeletedUser880

It would be sensible for the game to use the current notification system to alert players when they receive a reward for the completion of an Ancient Wonder, including the reward received and the player whose AW has been completed.

At present it is impossible to identify whose AW has been finished and unless you are online you get no notification at all of any completed AW which you have been rewarded for. In playing Elvenar many players help many other players in advancing their AWs and it is almost impossible to keep track of who rewards are from and which players are not yet complete unless you visit their individual cities.

The current notification system identifies help given to your city and who has taken your trades. In the same way a notification should include the name of the player whose AW is complete and details of the reward received.eg.

(Player Name) - Mountain Halls level 3 - reward - 1 Mountain Halls shard + 5 Knowledge Points

A similar notification should be sent to the player whose AW has completed so that they can upgrade the building.

Impact -
extra notifications
no need for in game message currently sent to players who are online
easier for players to identify that they have received shards and make use of them
clear message to all who have been rewarded of what they have received and from which player
players will be able to start the upgrade of their AWs quicker
less queries to Support for apparently lost rune shards

On a similar topic and equally of concern to many players - it is disappointing that KP rewards are lost if the update to an AW happens when you are offline at that time. For example I go to bed at 11 pm knowing that I will be able to use my 8 KPs in the morning at 7 am. A friends AW completes at 12 midnight giving me 10 KPs which are added to the 1 already gained while I have been away. In the morning 11 KPs are available for me instead of 18 which I should be receiving. I understand that the developers do not want stocks of KPs saved up by players but the rewards should be fully received by the players and not merely lost because of timing.

My suggestion to overcome this is that KP rewards are claimed by players from their notifications (maybe within 24/48 hours) when they are ready, giving them the full benefit due to them rather that the part measures currently received. In the above example this could be shown -

(Player Name) - Mountain Halls level 3 - reward - 1 Mountain Halls shard + 5 Knowledge Points [PRESS HERE TO CLAIM REWARD]

This is taken from a suggestion I made several months ago.

DeletedUser118

On a similar topic and equally of concern to many players - it is disappointing that KP rewards are lost if the update to an AW happens when you are offline at that time. For example I go to bed at 11 pm knowing that I will be able to use my 8 KPs in the morning at 7 am. A friends AW completes at 12 midnight giving me 10 KPs which are added to the 1 already gained while I have been away. In the morning 11 KPs are available for me instead of 18 which I should be receiving. I understand that the developers do not want stocks of KPs saved up by players but the rewards should be fully received by the players and not merely lost because of timing.

Wouldn't it also work if the KP from the Wonder aren't added at night but once you log in again in the morning?

Marindor

Let's leave that part for now. It's already being worked on and this idea thread is about a notification screen overhaul, so let's not get off-topic here :)

Heymrdiedier

I like the idea, if it doesnt mean you will be nerfing the rewards of the ancient wonders help :)

Maybe you could add a 5th tab: system: where notification could come containing the patchnotes, or for example the mails we got about player movement and combat update

CrazyWizard

Great Idea marindor, but instead of a limited amount of pages I would prefer to see a dynamic amount of pages which shows all the notifications of the past 48 hours.

I would really love to see dynamic pages for the neigbourly help, 9 just doesnt fit the bill with our wonderfull new neighbours.
For all the other pages I would love to see max 9 , or max 48 hours whichever is the largest number.
Especially trader you might want a fixed number since those can get quite out of hand if it hasnt. but the others should not.

Patrix

Great idea!

@ Marindor: Can u make u popup screen for 1 or 2 days when we login the game, with the link to this poll page?
So many more players will read this and u get a more accurate result.

DeletedUser1681

Good ideas. I especially like the common sense of trades and neighbourly help having own tabs. And I have been missing the option to delete notifications.

DeletedUser

Great idea!

@ Marindor: Can u make u popup screen for 1 or 2 days when we login the game, with the link to this poll page?
So many more players will read this and u get a more accurate result.

We won't use this for now but maybe in the future. You should not forget, that you would also get the pop up every login and that you can not mark this "pop up" as read.

Horanda

Notification system definitely needs an overhaul. voted yes.
Pointing out: The limitation atm is not 9 pages, the limitation is 50 Notifications. This is not enough for Trades (for some people) or for Neighborly Helps (for most active people). For the other 2 tabs it would be ample.
A time limitation would be good. 48 hours seems like a good middle ground.

Downsides: There will always be players who will complain about something simply because it has been changed, don't get your hopes up about this one. :p

Patrix

We won't use this for now but maybe in the future. You should not forget, that you would also get the pop up every login and that you can not mark this "pop up" as read.

Yes I know. Hope to get the mark as read also in the future. It is also there at Inno's game The West.

SoggyShorts

Can the icon for the notifications be made to appear on every screen?

I mean, with the size of my map I can't make the full rounds anymore everyday, that takes over an hour.
So I visit the players in my FS, and then look at my notifications to see who visited me so I can visit them in return.

That now means that I go to the notifications, look at that player, visit him/her and then have to return to my city to visit the notifications again.
With the time it takes to load new cities all the time it is getting to be really annoying to have to go back to my own city to do so.

If the notifications are visible all the time I could just go from the city I just visited to the next without having to make an additional stop-over in my own city again.