• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Damage formulas

Konniver

Hi all, some of you may know me as the author of the Elven Architect. I've been working on what may become the start of a battle simulator and hoping those more experienced than I can help in confirming the damage formulas the game uses, current or proposed.

Attack formula:

The latest info I can find on this is from the thread [0.16]Balancing Changes:
In the new system, the new guaranteed damage value will be 10%. The other 90% of damage will be decided by the amount of units you have left in your squad.

Example
  • You have a max squad size of 192.
  • You have 96 units (= 50%) left in the squad on the battlefield.
With these given numbers, with the new values, you will receive:

10% base damage value
50% (remaining squad size) of the remaining 90% of damage = 45% of damage
The two values will then be combined into:

10% base value + 45% damage = 55% of total damage

• A squad has a damage range, where its base damage is modified by a random roll. (e.g. 100 base damage could then become 80-120 after the roll). Does anyone know if ... ?
    • The formula's base damage refers to the squad's base damage, i.e. 10
    • The formula's base damage refers to the squad's final damage, i.e. 8-12
  • Is this still true or has it changed in the battle redesign?

Retaliation formula:

Can't find much on this other than a player's post in the [Discussion] Behind the Scenes: Battle Redesign thread.
I dont know which broken mind in inno made retaliation 50% of normal damage but he must have been smoking some brutal weeds.

• Has this been explicity stated anywhere by the devs? (The percent part, not the weed smoking).
  • Is this subject to the defending squad's base damage or final damage roll?

I'd appreciate any insight,
Konniver

Dony

King of Bugs
attack formula was changes with hotfix 2 weeks ago, they finally removed that 10% base damage, now its counted easily, average damage * number of troops, then roll between their range +/- 10% for sword dancer for example
because they increased retaliation damage they needed to remove that 10% base damage
about retaliation damage that 50% is roughly value, i need that to test properly on live server and its final damage roll after all +/- buffs/debuffs

Last edited:

Dony

King of Bugs
Example:
Sword Acrobat
damage: 23 - 28 = average 25.5 = rounding down 25

units: 97 = 97*25 = 2425 * 0.9/1.1 = 2182.5/2667.5 = with roundings 2183/2668 = thats min/max damage
units drop to 2: 2*25=50 *0.9/1.1 = 45/55 = thats min/max damage

with my recent tests about retaliation (version 1.15.9) it looks like its 40% -/+10% (tested only light melee, heavy melee can be different)

number of units for retaliation: 97 = 97*25*0.4 = 970 * 0.9/1.1 = 873/1067 retaliation damage with sword acrobats

Konniver

Thanks for clarification, Dony. My beta city had been wiped many moons ago, so as you can imagine it makes for limited testing. I didn't realise they ditched the 10%. Where did they mention it?

I can confirm that a Sword Acrobat definitly has a base damage of 25 with a damage range of ±10%, giving a rounded 23-28 as you mentioned.

As for the retaliation, the fact you are reporting a 40% ±10% damage range means that it must be subject to a damage roll. Do you happen to know the retaliation percentage currently used by live servers?

Dony

King of Bugs
they didnt mention it in any patch note, it was hotfixed 21st september on beta
retaliation damage is a roll same as damage done between that range
retaliation damage on live server is so low i dont even care

the reason why they removed is because now without immunities facing high numbers of enemies resulted in big looses
example: in some provinces i saw 4400 war dogs, last 1 dog then doing 440*21 (21 is damage per dog) = 9 240 damage which is 440 times more
now with the big retaliation damage and increased squad sizes this went over the board
and this is something which can not be overcomed by our higher squad size

Last edited:

Konniver

That explains it. I will use your findings thus far as I'm using the data for units on beta anyway. Hopefully they'll change it to something more appropriate.

Thanks for your help on this.

Last edited:

Heymrdiedier

That explains it. I will use your findings thus far as I'm using the data for units on beta anyway. Hopefully they'll change it to something more appropriate.

Thanks for your help on this.
Thanks for your attempt on making this. im pretty sure all elvenar players on live servers would use it, if the combat update comes to live as it is here now

Dony

King of Bugs
damage calculation was changed in 1.17 and until its not confirmed as intended im posting it here in case it get lost in that other thread
i didnt managed to crack it down yet so if anybody wants to try i can post screens.