• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

[Discussion] Behind the Scenes: Battle Redesign

DeletedUser1596

@ag123 :Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

Especially that idea about inter-fellowship competition.. maybe it would make people team-up again :)

@Kitty: Those days, when I came back from work and there were like 200+ comments, are fortunately gone. 8-10 chatters per fellowship are just enough :D But yes, I understand.

Heymrdiedier

Im not endgame yet, (almost at granite golem) but i dont think this is all as bas as ppl say it is here.
bigger troops ok, faster training ok, secret nerf of armories not so ok :)

What i dont like but will live with: enemies have more troop types in every encounter, this means you always will have big losses on some type of enemy. I kinda liked that sometimes you could fight only melee in crystal provinces, or only ranged in wood/silk provinces. It was good that there was sometimes a no brainer fight. Now you have to focus on every fight

Preator

@Heymrdiedier
Believe me, even if you focus (which i used to do, and am still doing now) you either still can not win, or suffer very heavy casualities which you will not be able to replace in short time.
Remember the pentagram, if the enemy has more than 2 different troop types (i mean by troop type the five different types in the pentagram, light/heavy melee, light/heavy ranger, mage), there will be some enemy troops which will be strong against your some of the units for sure. If the enemy has only 2 different troop types which are not neighbours in the pentagram, it is still the case.
And even theoretically stronger units suffer too much damage.

I play as an elf but my brother is human. He tried a fight just now (I told him not to do, but he didn't listen. His bad :) ):
~150 level 3 paladin vs. ~3000 war dog
Paladins are supposed to be strong against war dogs, right?
But what happens in real? War dogs have higher initiative than paladins, they strike first, and ~110 paladins get killed.
And what if the enemy has necromancers as well? Guess what? They kill paladins in one hit.

More than 400 paladins (~2,7 squads) get killed even before being able to move.

So, believe me, I know what I am telling :)

DeletedUser651

So basically, they took all our squads away from us, made the armories so weak we can't even train more over night, and changed the entire fighting structure.

We all have expert level fights now and no ability to get trained in the new system. We don't have any troops and can't get more. So how can we ever learn? It took way too long before to train enough troops to try one battle which is why most people never bothered with the whole fighting system. Now it is even worse?

99.8% of all players never come to the forums according to the mods on the US server. They have dumped a new system on all those players? Do they want to lose every player and start from scratch? I guess the good news is that most people play this game without fighting at all because they already thought it was impossible, so this won't affect them.

DeletedUser

@Heymrdiedier
Believe me, even if you focus (which i used to do, and am still doing now) you either still can not win, or suffer very heavy casualities which you will not be able to replace in short time.
Remember the pentagram, if the enemy has more than 2 different troop types (i mean by troop type the five different types in the pentagram, light/heavy melee, light/heavy ranger, mage), there will be some enemy troops which will be strong against your some of the units for sure. If the enemy has only 2 different troop types which are not neighbours in the pentagram, it is still the case.
And even theoretically stronger units suffer too much damage.

I play as an elf but my brother is human. He tried a fight just now (I told him not to do, but he didn't listen. His bad :) ):
~150 level 3 paladin vs. ~3000 war dog
Paladins are supposed to be strong against war dogs, right?
But what happens in real? War dogs have higher initiative than paladins, they strike first, and ~110 paladins get killed.
And what if the enemy has necromancers as well? Guess what? They kill paladins in one hit.

More than 400 paladins (~2,7 squads) get killed even before being able to move.

So, believe me, I know what I am telling :)

That was exactly what i was afraid of. The only reason we used to be able to win some fights was because we had units that survived against most types of units ( golems 3 + sorcs for elves, paladins and priests for humans). Now that those units are as vulnerable as the others, we get defeated simply because the enemy has more squads and bigger squads. Since we lost the only advantage that we had we will simple be mowed down by the sheer force of the numbers against us.

Preator

That was exactly what i was afraid of. The only reason we used to be able to win some fights was because we had units that survived against most types of units ( golems 3 + sorcs for elves, paladins and priests for humans). Now that those units are as vulnerable as the others, we get defeated simply because the enemy has more squads and bigger squads. Since we lost the only advantage that we had we will simple be mowed down by the sheer force of the numbers against us.

very well summarized :)

DeletedUser1570

Well this update was terrible for me. So far I didn't care about the fact that you needed orcs for negotiations. I am at the beginning of the fairy chapter currently, and had absolutely no trouble fighting in provinces that required orcs. Sure sometimes I lost a lot of troops, but overall I had no trouble and had acceptable losses. With the new battle system my losses are constantly huge. My elf troops are nerfed terribly. I'm really looking forward to hear from the great fighters of this forum. How are you doing, can you manage the battles with acceptable losses? If yes then I must be doing something wrong. But I suspect the answer will be no.
Also this will affect tournaments in a bad way for me. I was doing auto fight so far in the tourneys, because fighting manually required way too much time investment which I can't afford. Auto fight was a reasonable compromise, because losses were greater than they would have been with manual fighting, but they were still acceptable. With this new combat system I suspect auto fighting will decimate our armies, even with the optimal selection of troops.
And yeah, there is the fact that Armories have been nerfed significantly as well. Maybe this is just an error which will be corrected. Surely the devs see this, it has been explained very well in this thread, there is nothing more to add.
But I'm still hoping that someone will tell me that I'm just a noob who can't fight properly yet. It better be that way cause otherwise this update is a huge failure in my eyes.

DeletedUser1075

Goryn, can you post your tips for us? You had said you were excited for this change. Have you had a chance to play and what recommendations can you give us?

DeletedUser

I am gathering up the info on the new province armies but have limited provinces unlocked. I still need crystal, silk. Can anyone help out with missing info/and if you see any mistakes shout them out. Thanks.
nldd14.jpg

DeletedUser651

If the whole battle system has been redesigned, could someone who works for Inno please provide players with a thorough tutorial?

DeletedUser1549

Whether or not the NPC units in the province will outnumber you depends mainly on the distance of the province, and on the scouting costs for a province. This is also where the Advanced Scouts technologies give an edge: with lower scouting costs, you will also have a lower enemy squad size in the encounters. Also, to continue on this path: this is also why it becomes harder and harder to fight encounters when you are far ahead. The scouting costs will then be a lot higher, and therefore you will face bigger groups of enemies. Note: once scouted, the province's difficulty does not change anymore.
does this means that if you scout a province just before you reseach the next advanced scout tech it will give you a harder battlefield that if you wait, do the reseach of the next advanced scout tech and then scout it? (same province)

DeletedUser762

so, just when you thought, that they could not ruin this game any more than they have done( with the Orc production times etc.), they just made it worse.
So, basically now, you are stuck in the research tree, making the endless mushrooms (i kinda was getting somewhere finally, or so i thought), well now you also cannot fight. I have tried, and it was a joke. I have negotiated very little in the past, i prefer fights, thy were not very fair in any case, but now.. now it's a complete joke. Basically all we got to do now is to log on, collect stuff, and mb up-grade a few buildings, if you have any to up-grade. Map is a no-no, research is stuck. wow, what a fun game it has become.

Deleted User - 60107

I am gathering up the info on the new province armies but have limited provinces unlocked. I still need crystal, silk. Can anyone help out with missing info/and if you see any mistakes shout them out. Thanks.
In my very first Crystal province (I registered on Beta just to take a look at the new battle system) my opponennts are Steinling and War Dog. In my first Silk province the opponents are War Dog and Enchantress (new unit similar to the Necromancer).

DeletedUser651

I can't tell what the enemies are because they don't show up on the screen. I have the no enemy bug.

Dony

King of Bugs
I really expect some serious communication from Innogames about this so called "Battle Redesign" (which should be called broken redesign now), they even asked us in that announcement thread: We will be more than happy to answer your questions you have so far. I expected much more from this update.
Limiting factor for gaining new expansion should be scouting time and not abnormal difficulty, there should not be so big jumps in enemy squad sizes per ring (unless that change is done only to new scouted provinces after this update and not old), fight should be fun to do, we should have some losses and everything would be OK. But it isnt.
You promoted in last InnoTV episode and in that redesign thread that it should be obvious choice when picking our army against NPC (especially for newcomers or not-fighters till now), that every unit will have advantage against 2. OK lets take a look.
I am elf so I will write here for their units. Just for the record im now in middle of the dwarven chapter here on beta. I have 30+ provinces waiting to try out this battle redesign.

Sword acrobat was supposed to do good against light archers and sorceresses/enchantress so i found out province with only this 2 types of units and only 5 squads total so it should be fair, something that every casual in the world will pick up when this patch goes live.
Its close to zero to beat this setup just because: they play with me like cat with mouse, kite me around obstacles, placing debuff on me with increase damage taken so i loose an advantage and easily beat me.

Archers II were supposed to do good against sorceress/enchantress and treants, found this type of province and tried. Enemy squad size where about 20%-30% more then mine, 1 enchantress squad killed half of my archer squad with placing debuff to take even more dmg from next source, while it took me with my 4 squads to kill this 1 enchantress squad, against treant its a bit better then before.

Golems II were supposed to be good against light melee and light ranged, i tried province with 5 archers and 1 treant, while it was good against archers, that 1 treant killed almost half of my army (yes i know treant is good against heavy ranged) and that didnt felt good. Golems against light melee were partially good, but i personally dont think its good choice anyway, they are doing too low damage.

Treant II were supposed be good against light melee and heavy ranged. Against light melee its useless unit now, will talk about it below. Against heavy ranged as expected its hard (its possible) just because there are plenty of opponent squads, and they block my way to them which means their bonus was useless all the fight till i killed all others. (was fighting against cerberuses and steinlings II).

Sorceress II were supposed to be good against heavy melee and heavy ranged and they are. I personally thought that 1 of the reason for this rebalance was to nerf sorceress, but they are still best unit.
Of course i dont have lvl 3 units with special abilities (archers III has any?) on beta which can change some strategies, but not much.

Lets talk about broken mechanics.
I liked the idea that melees can retaliation 2 times per turn, but only enemies and not us?
I dont know which broken mind in inno made retaliation 50% of normal damage but he must have been smoking some brutal weeds.
This excludes using melees against melees in most cases, imagine scenario 5 melees on our side, 8 melees on enemy side, with 50% retaliation is actually to fight against 10.5 squads and they can retaliate 2 times now. This should have not been changed with this new system because yuor "wise minds" at inno didnt balance melee units around that, im 100% confident.

Light ranged are supposed to fight against mages but they didnt got defense against them? So mages use debuff on them and they take increased damage, while they were supposed to be good against them?
Heavy melee are supposed to fight against light melee and didnt got bonus damage against them? Yes they got 30% damage reduction but taking 50% more damage from retaliation, so in fact they are not good against melee at all. I would like explanation from inno about this.
Heavy ranged are supposed to fight against light melees and didnt got bonus defense against them? What about cerberuses or war dog which hit them before they can do that bonus damage?
Cerberus II and War dog II has same damage values?
Upgrades of our units have so little increases? Really? That must be joke.
Almost all provinces have same kind of setup (3 types of units)? What makes provinces different from each other now? Nothing.
"Bug" from previous battle system where damage per unit is exponencially higher the less units are in squad also has no place in this redesign since we have plenty guaranted losses now. Its retarded that 1 unit doing 100 times more damage then intended and its even more the bigger squad on the start of the battle is, i even saw 200-1000 times more damage.
I dont know if inno ever realized but almost nobody (if any) fight in provinces against same squad size, its still higher and then even higher, who in the world cares it is balanced for same squads size when they never stay against each other? (apart from tournament)

This broken redesign can be done in 1 day max, its so broken.

Where in this system are we supposed to have fun you were promoting we should have? Can somebody explain? Yes you will laugh at us trying to fight thats for sure.
This was more or less feedback for around of dwarven chapter.

How to fix it?
Plenty of ways.
Provinces should have much smoother increase of difficulty per ring, it doesnt make sense to have this big difference, we will have losses anyway, dont need to wipe out us and not give us solution to overcome it. It takes 1 month to take expansion anyway, there is zero reasons why to make it even worse for everybody. If this was done to remove our supplies more rapidly then it failed horribly.
Defenses of our units are completly broken if you are not rebalance numbers in squads of enemy.
Every our supposed unit to be good against something should be actually good and not even worse (treant), and even every unit should have apropriate attacks/defenses against unit they are supposed to be good? How in the earth you want to sell this to casual if its completly broken?
Tone down retaliation damage
Remove increased damage per damaged unit
Remove bugs you transfered from old system (like really? still showing wrong debuffs on units, increasing my suqad over the top when taking zero damage etc).
And even numbers are horrible (some units should be doing more damage, and some units should have less damage = i am talking mainly about units which are supposed to be good against something, not all of them are)

I am not saying fights are impossible, its a challenge, but i dont see how this redesign can address casuals or new players at all.
Only logical explanation of this broken system is that you will release new more powerfull units in future, but what till then?
Personally i play this game for fighting, if this wont be fun even for fighters, nobody will have fun ever, which is exactly what you didnt wanted and yet you managed to do it. Deja vu?

Last edited:

Deleted User - 60107

As a new player I face the following:
- initial Squad Size - 6 units per squad (Sword Dancers, since that's all I have)
- first province (Steel) - I already negotiated the frist 6 encounters (needed for quests). The last two encounters are exactly the same: two groups consisting of 1 Swamp Monster each. Like I mentioned all I have are Sword Dancers (since I just started).
- second province (Crystal). Enemy squad size is supposed to be ONE!
-- Enemy Squad 1: 1 Steinling (beaten without loses - took just 2 attacks by 6 Sword Dancer)
-- Enemy Squad 2: 1 Steinling (again beaten in 2 hits without loses)
-- Enemy Squad 3: 4 squads of 1 Steinling each (enemy squad size is supposed to be ONE)
-- Enemy Squad 4: 1 Steinling and 3 War Dogs - again enemy squad size is supposed to be ONE
-- Enemy Squad 5: 2 squads of 1 Steinling each
-- Enemy Squad 6: 1 Steinling, 1 Steinling, 2 War Dogs
-- Enemy Squad 7: 2 squads of 1 Steinling each
-- Enemy Squad 8: 1 Steinling, 1 Steinling, 2 War Dogs
- third province (Silk, non-boosted good). Enemy squad size is supposed to be TWO!
-- Enemy Squad 1: 1 squad of 9 War Dogs
-- Enemy Squad 2: 4 squads of 3 War Dogs each
-- Enemy Squad 3: 5 War Dogs and 1 Enchantress
-- Enemy Squad 4: 2 squads of 5 War Dogs each
-- Enemy Squad 5: 1 squad of 2 Enchantresses
-- Enemy Squad 6: 5 War Dogs and 1 Enchantress
-- Enemy Squad 7: 5 War Dogs and 1 Enchantress (yes, same setup for the third time)
-- Enemy Squad 8: 1 squad of 9 War Dogs

I'm currently scouting an Elixir province. Let's see what's there...

Elixir provionce (boosted good). Enemy squad size is supposed to be THREE!
-- Enemy Squad 1: 7 Thief and 7 Bandit
-- Enemy Squad 2: 2 squads of 7 Thieves each
-- Enemy Squad 3: 7 Thief and 7 Bandit
-- Enemy Squad 4: 1 squad of 13 Bandits
-- Enemy Squad 5: 5 Thieves, 5 Thieves, 5 Bandits
-- Enemy Squad 6: 2 squads of 7 Thieves each
-- Enemy Squad 7: 2 squads of 7 Thieves each (yes, same setup for the third time)
-- Enemy Squad 8: 7 Thief and 7 Bandit (again)

Fifth province (Planks - non-boosted good). Enemy squad size is supposed to be FOUR!
-- Enemy Squad 1: 2 squads of 9 Bandits each
-- Enemy Squad 2: 9 Bandits and 2 Swamp Monster
-- Enemy Squad 3: 1 squad of 17 Bandits
-- Enemy Squad 4: 7 Bandits, 7 Bandits, 1 Swamp Monster
-- Enemy Squad 5: 2 squads of 9 Bandits each
-- Enemy Squad 6: 7 Bandits, 7 Bandits, 1 Swamp Monster
-- Enemy Squad 7: 7 Bandits, 7 Bandits, 1 Swamp Monster (yes, same setup for the third time)
-- Enemy Squad 8: 2 squads of 9 Bandits each (again)

Sixth province (magic Dust - non-boosted good, last province near my town). Enemy Squad Size is supposed to be SIX (same as mine).
-- Enemy Squad 1: 3 Enchantress and 3 Steinling
-- Enemy Squad 2: 3 Enchantress, 3 Enchantress, and 3 Steinling
-- Enemy Squad 3: 3 Enchantress, 3 Enchantress, and 3 Steinling
-- Enemy Squad 4: 2 squads of 3 Enchantress each
-- Enemy Squad 5: 4 squads of 2 Enchantress each
-- Enemy Squad 6: 1 squad of 6 Enchantress
-- Enemy Squad 7: 3 Enchantress and 3 Steinling
-- Enemy Squad 8: 1 squad of 6 Enchantress

P.S.: With Barracks level 1 training 1 Sword Dancer takes 12 minutes, so 1 hour 12 minutes for a full squad of 6...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser651

Here is my prediction:
The battles have been redesigned so they can sell you some kind of unit upgrade or something that will make the new mostly impossible battles possible. If you don't buy the upgrade then you won't be able to do much. Also, you won't have any battles any more that you can get through without losses (as you can in tournaments), unless you get the upgrade. Diamond spenders will find battles better, non diamond spenders will find battles just as difficult or harder. Also, they will severely hamper you if you happen to have progressed farther than "they expect you to be."

Yup. To a tee. They are getting really easy to predict.

Battles are now impossible.
They will release something new to make it possible again.
That something new will cost money.
If you have scouted too far you will be punished (as in the new enemies have different levels now and you will face the higher level enemies).
All fights will now have significant losses (perhaps unless you buy some new thing).
Since they don't care if we all walk out, and never have, this game will be played by mostly new people who don't have our expectations.

You know, Chevy can TRY to jack the cost of their cars to $200,000 over night. Only thing that will happen is no one will buy a Chevy.

I guess we will see what the elasticity is on interest in fighting.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser724

I just try 1 battle this morning
In past, I suffer a big loss , but I can still able to win a battle in "map", that a bloodly win ( only 20 to 30% soldier can survive )

This morning
when I test it
very strange
it is a "Mission Impossible"
my "blessed priest" do not need to move to hit enemy soldier, now, move up to enemy "firing range" and get killed
my other "blessed priest" cannot suffer 1 hit from "enemy flying object" and vanished, in past, the "flying enemy" cannot come close to make that hit, now, it can move more distance to make hit ( while my priest get super lesser firing range )

my Paladin also suffer a big loss after 1st round
1st team totally lost
2nd team down from 1?? to 1?
3rd team also get loss
those 3 teams, I can only able to make 2 hits
it end up enemy strength only loss 5 to 10% soldier, but i already lost 90 to 95% soldier

if the new battle design is like that
elvaner should advice player "DO NOT PLAY" any more

"bloody win" is still acceptable
"Mission Impossible" is not a game design