• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Changing Difficulty Level of Province

Mrietha

This is a question I've had for a long time.
What determines the difficulty level of a Province and when/how does it change?
Here I've used up all my "super easy" Provinces and now am on "easy". In my live city I've been on "super easy" for quite a while.

Thank you!

Bor de Wolf 1965

The Squad Size Upgrade levels determine how difficult the province becomes.
I am on SSU7 and province range is 4 so they are extreme difficult for me.
The moment I go to SSU8 it will become easier but still difficult.
If the range increases again it will also become more difficult.

Mrietha

Do I then need to upgrade my armory for that to take effect?
I'm trying to keep my armories and barracks as small as possible. I'd much rather trade than fight (though I do fight some - I'm usually on the app.) And use the space for neat things like those in the Winter Event.

FieryArien

First a bit of vocabulary:
Squad Size — it’s used in the world map encounters and it’s the amount of troops in one slot (out of the five slots you have available for each battle). The only way to increase this is though the “Squad Size Upgrade” technologies.
Training size — the amount of troops you train in one slot in your military training buildings (you mentioned barracks). That’s what increases, when you build/upgrade Armories.
World map province difficulty — the ratio of your squad size vs. enemy squad size.

The squad size of the enemy is fixed when you scout a province (it’s derived from the distance from your city and the cost of scout). Afterwards it doesn’t change. There are generally two ways to reduce the difficulty (ratio):
1) Research more Squad Size Upgrade technologies (as Bor de Wolf 1965 said). It increases your squad size, which affects the ratio of your vs. enemy’s troops and therefore makes the fight a bit easier.
2) Research “Advanced Scouts” (the first research of many chapters, but not all, especially not the highest ones). That lowers the cost of scouting new provinces, which makes the enemy squad size lower, which makes the fights easier. It does NOT help you with the already scouted provinces, because the size is already fixed there, but it applies a to all newly scouted provinces.

Mrietha

Thank you. I had forgotten about the effects of completing Advanced Scouts.
Could you, please, clarify something for me?
Do I simply need to complete the Research in the Research Tree, or do I need to implement it by upgrading my barracks.

Avocado

Hmm, talking of provinces: I have heard a few times, that we should not overscout. Why not? Scouting costs and conquering costs rise quite steeply, the more provinces I scout, of course (I never figured out, which rules govern those penalty rises, which have nothing to to with squad size or range) but they are still affordable. Overscouting gets you expansions sooner and gets you more tournament provinces, so why not overscout?

Bor de Wolf 1965

@Avocado you can over scout till you get to the provinces that need little green men as well to scout.
After you can make the orks you can go and over scout as well, no problem there.
If you don't over scout you can fight the new provinces and don't have to buy them, that's in your favor.
When you get to the next chapter and research the new scouts, the time reduction on the scouts you get will be the same percentage but in measured time it is a huge difference.
20% reduction from 100h = 20h, 20% reduction from 50h is only 10h and there is the problem.
Do you go for cheaper provinces to battle and scout but they will take more time in the long run, or do you go for the time reduction but you will have to buy every province you come across?

Avocado

So far, I can still fight them...but that is an interesting argument, Bor de Wolf. And also, there is the problem of the tournament penalty for having too many province extensions.
Thanks, Bor :)

Karvest

After you scout same number of provinces and reach learn same number of advanced scouts your scout time and cost will be the same regardless of when you scouted them.
So in a long run there is no difference if you overscout or not.
While you are progressing though low/mid chapters - overscouting leads to higher costs (both for scouting itself and for negotiation costs/fights difficulty). From the other side - the more provinces you will have when you get to Halflings chapter - the more seeds you will get from trader. At the end a lot of useful things dependent on provinces will appear in your city. So at some point you will eventually switch to non-stop scouting anyway.
And also, there is the problem of the tournament penalty for having too many province extensions.
You are not forced to place them into your city, they can sit in your inventory without affecting your tournament.