• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

New Game Features Demote Inactive Arch Mages

DeletedUser3930

If we can kick inactive players as an arch mage/mage we should also be able to demote the arch mage if they go mia.
Arch mages should be one of the most active players.
After a week or two of inactivity, fellowship members could vote to demote the inactive arch mage and promote a new arch mage.

Pros -
Allows an active person to become the arch mage
Players don't have to leave to find a new fellowship with an active arch mage
Cons -
None that I can think of besides limitations of the developers, since it's a demotion and not a kick.

DeletedUser3930

Thank you , but shouldn't this be in game? I've played for years and didn't know this. I've left fellowships over inactive arch mages.

Jaxom

There are valid situations where an AM might be absent for a period of time due to health, etc. A good AM would tell his members about this.
If you don't like how the AM does things, leave, form a new fellowship and take the good players with you.

That option aside. Are you asking that the game track the activity of the AM and make it possible for Mages to demote after a certain period of time? It can't just be an arbitrary case of "AM missed 1 week, I want to take over".

There is a mechanism for going through support to resolve this. Why make the game more complex?

Is the need to replace inactive AMs a result of the Fellowship Progression? Or are there other things that only an AM can do?

Kersepitje

QA Moderator
Elvenar Team
Thank you , but shouldn't this be in game? I've played for years and didn't know this. I've left fellowships over inactive arch mages.
good questions: but where would you put this then?
there's no real good spot to put this info in my opinion.

But in general if you are stuck in the game in some way, raising a ticket to support is the way to go, they will tell you what to do, or help you if they can.

DeletedUser3930

Thank you Jaxom and Kersepitje for the responses.

That option aside. Are you asking that the game track the activity of the AM and make it possible for Mages to demote after a certain period of time? It can't just be an arbitrary case of "AM missed 1 week, I want to take over".
I thought it would be put to a vote by all the fellowship members, not just mages to demote and vote on a new one. (what if there are none?) It also takes out the personal and perhaps private reasons why they may be missing the game. When the demoted arch mage comes back, then you can vote to reinstate. I'm certainly not advocating hostile takeovers :)

Is the need to replace inactive AMs a result of the Fellowship Progression?
Yes and also if the arch mage becomes inactive, they may not have assigned mages for FA or may have removed the ability to invite people to the fellowship (although I'm not really sure how that works) if someone applies can anyone accept the application if it's not an open fellowship? If you lose members and you have a decent progression in the fellowship, you would want to keep recruiting.

good questions: but where would you put this then?
Perhaps a new tab for activity under the shield icon? Where we currently view tournament scores for each member and the spire progression?

Kersepitje

QA Moderator
Elvenar Team
just fyi, when an archmage is reported as inactive and support intervenes, then the archmage gets demoted, meaning the eldest mage automatically becomes the new archmage (same thing that happens when an archmage leaves the fellowship or when he would get deleted because of inactivity).
After that its up to the new archmage to pass the flag through to the one that you guys want it to be.
In other words, its never support that will decide who becomes the new archmage, thats internal politics of the fellowship.

DeletedUser3930

I hear (see) you. and thanks for replying, good stuff to learn.
But... and I didn't explain this very well
What if there are no mages in the fellowship? who does the archmage title go to then?
and
What if there is a mage next in line and that mage is also inactive?
It could take months to fix this via support.
Recently, an arch mage left the fellowship he/she created but disbanded the fellowship and everyone got kicked out. I'm not 100% sure a lot of players even know you can hand off the title before leaving. The one I was in certainly didn't.

A game I play has it in-game. The guild leader can set how long to automatically kick a person who isn't active, from 3 days to never. 3 days is a bit harsh but a couple of weeks to 30 days, not really. For an inactive guild leader, we all have to wait until the system boots them out of the fellowship automatically. Which I think is 30 days and it's an automatic kick and someone else becomes the guild leader automatically. Which is okay, but a voting system on who becomes the next archmage is even better.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

DeletedUser3930

And the other game, you have to pay to create a guild/fellowship. Which if a person sat long enough in a guild, knowing the guild leader wasn't very active, they just inherited a guild that they had no monetary stake in and they could be a horrible guild leader. So players end up leaving the guild anyways.

Enevhar Aldarion

Yes and also if the arch mage becomes inactive, they may not have assigned mages for FA or may have removed the ability to invite people to the fellowship (although I'm not really sure how that works) if someone applies can anyone accept the application if it's not an open fellowship? If you lose members and you have a decent progression in the fellowship, you would want to keep recruiting.

Ambassadors can collect the flag/chest in the FAs and they can accept applications, but they cannot kick anyone out or change the titles of any members, including themselves.

Perhaps a new tab for activity under the shield icon? Where we currently view tournament scores for each member and the spire progression?

Something like this will never happen as Inno has always told us they cannot tell us how active a player is, or when they last logged in, because that violates EU privacy laws. We are just lucky we can see when someone is currently online.

DeletedUser3930

Something like this will never happen as Inno has always told us they cannot tell us how active a player is, or when they last logged in, because that violates EU privacy laws. We are just lucky we can see when someone is currently online.
Thanks for commenting and more good info on what roles can do. I can't recall if I've ever been promoted in a fellowship. Certainly not to mage so this is all good info to learn.

How about using the new experience point feature as a way to determine activity and inactivity? It's what its for no? To encourage fellowships to have active members? I looked quickly through the discussion thread of this new feature, to see if points are listed by individual or as a fellowship, I could only find one number and it was total points. Since it's still being rolled out, maybe individual points contributed will be on there. I just started beta today and haven't seen this up close and personal yet. If someone, repeatedly has zero points, pretty sure they are inactive or incredibly unhelpful. And if its the archmage??? Well time for /vote and a /demote.

I'm appreciative of the comments and to learn things I didn't know before.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrazyWizard

I hear (see) you. and thanks for replying, good stuff to learn.
But... and I didn't explain this very well
What if there are no mages in the fellowship? who does the archmage title go to then?
and
What if there is a mage next in line and that mage is also inactive?

It could take months to fix this via support.
Recently, an arch mage left the fellowship he/she created but disbanded the fellowship and everyone got kicked out. I'm not 100% sure a lot of players even know you can hand off the title before leaving. The one I was in certainly didn't.

A game I play has it in-game. The guild leader can set how long to automatically kick a person who isn't active, from 3 days to never. 3 days is a bit harsh but a couple of weeks to 30 days, not really. For an inactive guild leader, we all have to wait until the system boots them out of the fellowship automatically. Which I think is 30 days and it's an automatic kick and someone else becomes the guild leader automatically. Which is okay, but a voting system on who becomes the next archmage is even better.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.
Off course they select the oldest active mage.
If none exist, the oldes active ambassador en of that does not exist the oldest active member.

So you do not have to wait a few decades ;)

edeba

You can contact support, there is a archmage demotion procedure if that person is really inactive (not logged in for 1 month or more)
When we had an inactive AM it was a month from when I first contacted support, and that was after the AM was about 2 weeks late from coming back from holiday, so it was already 3+ weeks from logging in. I was actually just asking about procedure at that point and still really hoping our AM would be back, but because I was told we'd have to wait a month from when I contacted, I'm glad I inquired. So our AM was about 6 weeks late from coming back from vacation when she was removed.

I like the idea that after 2 week of inactivity player could vote to demote, and then of course could just remove on their own. We weren't ready to remove when I inquired but we might have done so a bit sooner given the option.

DeletedUser3930

Off course they select the oldest active mage.
If none exist, the oldes active ambassador en of that does not exist the oldest active member.
But what if it goes to someone, who no one wants to be the new Archmage and they won't give it up?
/Vote /Demote
/ Vote /Promote

Good info though on what they do manually.

Lelanya

But what if it goes to someone, who no one wants to be the new Archmage and they won't give it up?
/Vote /Demote
/ Vote /Promote

Good info though on what they do manually.
Here is what I have seen or heard.

The inactive AM must be absent for one month. If the interested parties contact Support with all the information they have, and the log in records bear that out, it is possible to get the hat reclassified at exactly 30 days of inactivity.

Support staff are human beings. If you explain your requirements and say, we would prefer player x for this reason, it is possible that your wishes may be accommodated, say if 2 mages were promoted on the same day.

If a mage were demoted; in fact all mages except the person who has consented to be the next Archmage, then the former mages were promoted again, the hat would default correctly.

DeletedUser3930

If a mage were demoted; in fact all mages except the person who has consented to be the next Archmage, then the former mages were promoted again, the hat would default correctly.
I get you Lelanya.
But now we're demoting mages, promoting a new archmage and re-promoting the demoted mages. What if the new archmage decides not to promote the demoted mages? and if there are no mages assigned before the archmage goes inactive, can't be done right?

And according to CrazyWizard Support already has an order of who they make the next archmage and it's up to the new archmage that was assigned by Inno, to either keep the position or pass it on to someone else. Would support be willing to change their policy and take each case like this and specifically assign the person the fellowship wants as the new archmage? I could also say they voted for me and do a hostile takeover!

2 weeks seems reasonable enough for an archmage to be demoted. idk if it's honestly worth putting something in the game like this, but... it's already there to demote others, so why not the archmage? There is no monetary stake in creating a fellowship. I could see if we had to pay diamonds to create a new fellowship but it's free to create one.

Lelanya

It is not merely 2 weeks because we are human, frail and fallible. If an AM were to travel, come home and find a leaky roof had caused damage, destroyed a dish, a router, maybe a PC, well, this takes time to repair. Perhaps the service staff cannot come right off to fix the dish.

Lelanya

Mobile version?
Who says that everyone uses the mobile app?

Hi there CrystalAngel. I am Lelanya.
I have been playing for 6.5 years now, and I am posting about game circumstances that I have encountered.

Lol I have a neighbour who was the third mage and her 'sisters' demoted and then promoted themselves while she was asleep, to land her with the hat.

I have had to guide my BF through the process, when our AM vanished. I give advice on the Forum, hmm, for 6 years now, and did the same on FB until it hit the far left field. Just saying, I have read many versions of this over the years.

I am out, going to Unwatch. Best of luck to you and yours whatever you decide :)